SBS - The best value in QMS software

Sampling Plans and Cpk - Ways to Calculate the Sample Quantity

A

Angela at SKF

We currently check 100% of our parts and produce about 1500 per shift. If we want to hold a Cpk to a certain level is there some way to calculate the sample quantity needed each shift? Tolerance is (lower bound) 0 to +10 microns.

Say our Cpk is 2.0 and at PPAP the Cpk was 1.7 can we justify reducing our sampling? Ultimate goal.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tim Folkerts

Super Moderator
Sample Size shouldn't directly affect Cpk

Cpk is based on the mean and standard deviation of the product, combined with the specs (and the assumption that the process stays in control). Cpk doesn't directly relate to sample size.

The one place where sample size comes in would be your confidence in the Cpk you calculate. For example, suppose you checked just N=25 parts and had
x-bar = 7
sigma = 0.5
USL = 10
LSL = 0

You are (10-7)/0.5 = 6 sigma from the closer spec so Cpk = 6/3 = 2. But the standard error in x-bar is 0.5/(25^0.5) = 0.1, so the true mean could easily be 7.1 or 7.2. Furthermore, there is considerable uncertainty in sigma: 0.71*sigma/N^0.5 = 0.071, so sigma itself could easily be 0.57 or 0.64. You might easily be just (10-7.1)/0.57 = 5.1 sigma from the spec limit, or Cpk = 1.7.

Or simplified, if you take a small sample, you can't be as sure about the accuracy of the Cpk calculation.

Tim F

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
You want to control process drift

As Tim said, sample size is not what you are after. You are really trying to control the process drift to assure a minimum Cpk.

While the most statistically pure method is some form of SPC, you could also calculate modified control limits that allow some drift, but limits it to a level that assures a minimum Cpk.

Be advised that if a customer is driving this, you will probably be challenged if you take this route. If you are doing it for yourself, you have a lot of latitude.

R

Ricardo SKF INTERN

Re: Sampling plans and Cpk - Some way to calculate the sample quantity

Hello Angela,

I'm currently working in a project in SKF to caculate a sampling plan frequency and size procedure based on Cpk of the machine assuming a Cp target constant in time.

I've been surfing for similar cases and found your post. Given that is from 2003 I figure you may give me some advice.

Would appreciate very much your help,

Ricardo.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource

Ricardo,

What kind of process are you looking at? What is its current capability? What is the actual distribution? What does its ongoing variation look like? Is any SPC being done on the process? Do you have any sample data?

R

Ricardo SKF INTERN

Ricardo,

What kind of process are you looking at? What is its current capability? What is the actual distribution? What does its ongoing variation look like? Is any SPC being done on the process? Do you have any sample data?
Hello, Bob,

Thanks for your response.

I'm looking at a grinding process of an external profile. Actual distribution is normal. Ongoing variation is very small, quality specifications are measured in micro millimeters and tolerances are considerately away from control limits. Currently SPC are made but not based on Cpk, which is my task. Sample data is available.

R

Ricardo SKF INTERN

There is a formula for the confidence level of Cpk (See attached file). This is the only way I know to have a sample size for a given Cpk level.
Thank you, Steven. Your file was very helpful.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource

I'm looking at a grinding process of an external profile. Actual distribution is normal. Ongoing variation is very small, quality specifications are measured in micro millimeters and tolerances are considerately away from control limits. Currently SPC are made but not based on Cpk, which is my task. Sample data is available.
If you are grinding a profile, I recommend reading this. Your true distribution should not be normal. If it is, you are likely picking up measurement error, or the process is being overcontrolled. Tradiitonal Shewhart SPC has no relation to capability. If you are using X-bar-R chart or I-MR, your control limits are going to be too tight, because those chart calculations are wrong for grinding - and will cause overcontrol.

For grinding, the correct controls using the X hi/lo-R chart would be based on capability, as the control limits are a function of the tolerance.

If you are grinding, and you are using very little of your tolerance, do you do any adjustments at all during your run? How long is your run?

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator

Bob,

I didn't think you would let that one get by you.....thanks for your continued isight.

Regards,
Marty

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Relating Cpk to Sampling Plans - AS9100C Para 8.2.4 & AS9103 Para 4.4 d. Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
F Product audit sampling plans IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A ISO 2859-1 - 9.3.3.2 Switching score - Sampling Plans and PPM AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 0
V Statistical basis and justification while comparing / changing sampling plans Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
N The question asks about sampling plans and AQL Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
C Are zero defect sampling plans relevant to AS9120B Distributor AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M ISO / ASTM standards for Sampling Plans for Medical Devices Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
M Help interpreting MIL-STD-105E Single Sampling Plans Tables Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
A Attribute Sampling Plans with Switching Rules - Software Recommendations Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
U AQL, Lot Size vs Sampling Plans AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
P Lot Acceptance Plan that specifies BS 6001 Double Sampling Plans, general inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
M AS9100A (old revision) - Required C=0 sampling plans if sampling was used? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D Disposable Medical Device Sampling Plans per ISO 2859-1 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
R Is AQL sampling plans applicable for Bulk Pharmaceutical Manufacturing (API)? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
K Sampling Plans - Continuously Decreasing Sampling Over Time Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
G Why do we use Sampling Plans based on Producer's Risk? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 20
J Sampling Plans - AQL Table Application AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 2
Q Inspection Methods and Plans - Forgetting to Switch Sampling Levels Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
C C=0 vs. AQL MIL Standard 105 E - Sampling Plans Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
I Sampling Plans - Guidance to Sampling a Process during Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 12
T Skip Lot Sampling Plans (SkSP) - Oil for Trans Fatty Acid Content Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
R Zero Acceptance Sampling Plans 5th edition by Squeglia - Question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
O Sampling Plans for a Medical Device - What to use for my Accept and Reject Number? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
M Zero Acceptance Number Sampling Plans for Isolated Lots Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
K Cleaning Validation Plans, Sampling, etc - Allergens in Food Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
T Zero Failure Sampling Plans Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
H How to decide AQL value? Sampling Plans AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
B Determining Statistical Confidence and Reliability Levels with Sampling Plans Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
A What is a good lot size? We use the C=0 Sampling plans at AQL %1.0 AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 9
B AS9100C Sampling Plans - When samples have known nonconformities Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
R Sampling plans for mass-produced fasteners - I'm concerned with PPM and AOQL Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
I Sampling Plans for Critical Defects Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
P Zero Acceptance Number Sampling Plans, Fifth Edition (e-Book) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
V How to use Sampling Plans - Confusion on Lot Sampling Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
A Use of sampling plans like MIL-STD-105 E or ANSI Z1.4? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
A Use of sampling plans like MIL-STD-105 E or ANSI Z1.4 for setting AQL's? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 13
G Sampling plans for large quantities along lines of ISO 2859-1:1999 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
K Design of Lot Acceptance Sampling Plan - Zero Acceptance Number Sampling Plans Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 27
R Sampling Plans - ISO 2859-1: 1999 - How to calculate the switching score? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
I Asian Supplier Sampling Plans besides MIL-STD-105? My thought was ISO 2859? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
P Sampling Plans for Corrective and Preventative Maintenance Service Orginizations Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
QChas The Source of "C=0 Sampling Plans Index Values (Associated AQLS)" AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
R Need to set up sampling plans in Receiving Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
S Developing sampling plans based on AS1199, ISO 2859-1 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
B Can Continuous Sampling Plans be applied to service organizations? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
J Reducing Inspection Costs - Sampling Plans and Producer's Risk Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
L Sampling Plans - Can a company create its own Sampling Plan? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Douglas E. Purdy Sampling Plans & Control of Nonconforming Product Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 21
C Internal Audit Sampling Plans - Determining Internal Audit Sample Size Internal Auditing 45
J How do you explain sampling plans to management? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7