Sampling Plans (ISO 2859-1)(BS6001-1) - Probability of defects within a lot

Stuart Andrews

Involved - Posts
How do I work out the probability of defects within a lot?
For example, if I'm using percent nonconforming to Inspection Level II, and an AQL of 1% with a double sampling plan. My lot size is 100 pieces and I've found no defects from my 20 samples.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

Rick Goodson

Stuart,

The calculation for probability of defects within a lot of 100 pieces, a sample of 20 and 0 defects found is based on the Hyoergeometric Probability Distribution, since the lot is finite and the random sample is taken without replacement. The formula for finding the probability 'P' of 'd' defects in a sample of size 'n' from a lot of size 'N' is:

P(d) = 'Combination of all defective units' multiplied by the 'Combination of all good units' divided by the 'Combination of all units'

An easier method of finding the probabilities would be to use the Operating Characteristic curve (OC curve) for the sampling plan you are using. In the sampling plan find the 'Code Letter' for your universe of 100 and an Inspection II. Find the OC curve for that code letter. The graph will have curves for various AQL's. The 'x' axis is the percent defective of the lot and the 'y' axis is the probabilit of acceptance. Using the intersect of horizontal and vertical lines to the curve you can determine the probability of acceptance of a lot based on various percent defectives. In essence, for each percent defective you can look at the probability of accepting the lot based on your smapling result.

A problem inherent with Operating Characteristic curves is that most are based on an assumption of an 'infinite' lot rather than the 'finite' lot size as you have. The curves therefore are not based on hypergeometric probabilities although the Poisson or binomial probability distributions often give acceptable results.

There is an excellent discusion on sampling plans in 'Statistical Quality Control' by Grant and Leavenworth, ISBN 0-07-114248-7.

There are also some good referemces on the web:
http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/pmc/section2/pmc24.htm has a good description of how a double sampling plan is created and therefore some insight into the problems you may run in to.

I hope this addresses your question adequately.

L

lmay0001

HI

i have a problem

SAmple 55, accepted 2 or less, reject 3 or more defect. Hence draw an OC curve for this plan.

what am i supposed to do?? what are the percentage of defects for the binomial?????

Hi

i have a sampling plan 55 2/3 ( accept 2 and reject 3) draw a OC curve for the plan.

how do u draw such a OC curve i dont even know the percent defects how do i draw it?

how can i calculate a binomial with out percent defect ( example 0.5%)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A ISO 2859-1 - 9.3.3.2 Switching score - Sampling Plans and PPM AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 0
M ISO / ASTM standards for Sampling Plans for Medical Devices Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
D Disposable Medical Device Sampling Plans per ISO 2859-1 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
G Sampling plans for large quantities along lines of ISO 2859-1:1999 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
R Sampling Plans - ISO 2859-1: 1999 - How to calculate the switching score? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
I Asian Supplier Sampling Plans besides MIL-STD-105? My thought was ISO 2859? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
S Developing sampling plans based on AS1199, ISO 2859-1 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
E ISO/IEC 17025 Sampling Plans - Sampling clauses not applicable for test labs? ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
F Product audit sampling plans IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
V Statistical basis and justification while comparing / changing sampling plans Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
N The question asks about sampling plans and AQL Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
C Are zero defect sampling plans relevant to AS9120B Distributor AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M Help interpreting MIL-STD-105E Single Sampling Plans Tables Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
A Attribute Sampling Plans with Switching Rules - Software Recommendations Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
U AQL, Lot Size vs Sampling Plans AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
P Lot Acceptance Plan that specifies BS 6001 Double Sampling Plans, general inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
M AS9100A (old revision) - Required C=0 sampling plans if sampling was used? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
R Relating Cpk to Sampling Plans - AS9100C Para 8.2.4 & AS9103 Para 4.4 d. Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
R Is AQL sampling plans applicable for Bulk Pharmaceutical Manufacturing (API)? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
K Sampling Plans - Continuously Decreasing Sampling Over Time Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
G Why do we use Sampling Plans based on Producer's Risk? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 20
J Sampling Plans - AQL Table Application AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 2
Q Inspection Methods and Plans - Forgetting to Switch Sampling Levels Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
C C=0 vs. AQL MIL Standard 105 E - Sampling Plans Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
I Sampling Plans - Guidance to Sampling a Process during Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 12
T Skip Lot Sampling Plans (SkSP) - Oil for Trans Fatty Acid Content Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
R Zero Acceptance Sampling Plans 5th edition by Squeglia - Question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
O Sampling Plans for a Medical Device - What to use for my Accept and Reject Number? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
M Zero Acceptance Number Sampling Plans for Isolated Lots Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
K Cleaning Validation Plans, Sampling, etc - Allergens in Food Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
T Zero Failure Sampling Plans Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
H How to decide AQL value? Sampling Plans AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
B Determining Statistical Confidence and Reliability Levels with Sampling Plans Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
A What is a good lot size? We use the C=0 Sampling plans at AQL %1.0 AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 9
BadgerMan AS9100C Sampling Plans - When samples have known nonconformities Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
R Sampling plans for mass-produced fasteners - I'm concerned with PPM and AOQL Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
I Sampling Plans for Critical Defects Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
P Zero Acceptance Number Sampling Plans, Fifth Edition (e-Book) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
V How to use Sampling Plans - Confusion on Lot Sampling Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
A Use of sampling plans like MIL-STD-105 E or ANSI Z1.4? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
A Use of sampling plans like MIL-STD-105 E or ANSI Z1.4 for setting AQL's? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 13
K Design of Lot Acceptance Sampling Plan - Zero Acceptance Number Sampling Plans Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 27
P Sampling Plans for Corrective and Preventative Maintenance Service Orginizations Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
QChas The Source of "C=0 Sampling Plans Index Values (Associated AQLS)" AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
R Need to set up sampling plans in Receiving Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
B Can Continuous Sampling Plans be applied to service organizations? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
J Reducing Inspection Costs - Sampling Plans and Producer's Risk Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
L Sampling Plans - Can a company create its own Sampling Plan? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Douglas E. Purdy Sampling Plans & Control of Nonconforming Product Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 21
C Internal Audit Sampling Plans - Determining Internal Audit Sample Size Internal Auditing 45