Save Excel file with Date for Recording Weekly Test Samples

F

farukia

I need to save an excel file which is use for recording weekly test samples(Has 5 worksheets in it Version 2007). The test is done every week and the saving format is the date.

Question is can I save that excel template file and save 52 copies for the entire year of 2010. Reason for doing it the guys filling the sheet in have very little experience with the computer. I have made a bunch of things in the spreadsheet to make their lives easier but they keep screwing up the location folder for saving it and the name format is always different.

This way if i have the files already exisiting they can open it with that date and save it and done.

Thanks,

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Al Rosen

Holed-up in a Hotel in South Florida
Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Save Excel file with date

I need to save an excel file which is use for recording weekly test samples(Has 5 worksheets in it Version 2007). The test is done every week and the saving format is the date.

Question is can I save that excel template file and save 52 copies for the entire year of 2010. Reason for doing it the guys filling the sheet in have very little experience with the computer. I have made a bunch of things in the spreadsheet to make their lives easier but they keep screwing up the location folder for saving it and the name format is always different.

This way if i have the files already exisiting they can open it with that date and save it and done.

Thanks,
Can't you change the name each week to include the week & year?

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin

Welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

What if you could protect the cell's formulas from change using a method like this one? Then you could have a single file with a bunch of workbooks in it.

Le Chiffre

Quite Involved in Discussions

You can also implement a "Save" macro/script executed from an Excel button in the template. I've done this with both Word and Excel to control where and what filename is used for the save. Some users will still use the <File><Save> ability and mess things up but a big button is hard to miss.

A

adamsjm

A VBA subroutine / procedure can be placed in a standard module and run when you want to save a weekly copy.

An example:
Sub filesave()
ActiveWorkbook. SaveAs Filename:="C:\nashfinch\NFC-ORDER " & _
Format(Now(), "mm_dd_yyyy hh mm AMPM"), FileFormat:=xlNormal, Password:="", _
WriteResPassword:="", ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, CreateBackup:=False
End Sub

I do not have access to Excel 2007 to properly debug and add error checking to the procedure for you.

Look up
MVP date time stamp file *excel*

on your web browser to look for other methods.

Good Luck

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I have used dates in file names for a long time (as in over 20 years). Even today I typically put a date in the file name of most files I make. I see no problem using the date in a file name. Yes, you could make up 50+ files each with a different date in the file name.

B

brahmaiah

Thanks,
Your earlier method doesnot enure effective control of records.Control of record is a shall requirement.The new way you have suggested seems to be OK.
But you have to positively prevent their scewing up the location of records.
V.J.Brahmaiah

F

farukia

Can't you change the name each week to include the week & year?
I could but dont have the time to sit there and save sheets and besides would like to do this to other spreadsheets.

I did think of doing it the way you suggested but with the macros you can have I figured it would be easier.

Thanks

F

farukia

A VBA subroutine / procedure can be placed in a standard module and run when you want to save a weekly copy.

An example:
Sub filesave()
ActiveWorkbook. SaveAs Filename:="C:\nashfinch\NFC-ORDER " & _
Format(Now(), "mm_dd_yyyy hh mm AMPM"), FileFormat:=xlNormal, Password:="", _
WriteResPassword:="", ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, CreateBackup:=False
End Sub

I do not have access to Excel 2007 to properly debug and add error checking to the procedure for you.

Look up
MVP date time stamp file *excel*
on your web browser to look for other methods.

Good Luck
I tried the above but with my limited knowledge of creating macros I could not debug it.
Thanks though,

F

farukia

Welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

What if you could protect the cell's formulas from change using a method like Then you could have a single file with a bunch of workbooks in it.
I do have some cell protection but that isnt the problem here.
All I am looking for is to save the template file with date starting
1st Jan 2010
8th Jan 2010
15th Jan 2010 and so on so forth for the entire year without having to saving it manuallyfor each sheet.

Thanks,

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Skooma Receiving Inspection - Boss trying to save money AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
A Minitab 18: How to automate GRR Summary Table save Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
L Do you need to save hard copies of obsolete documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
Pmarszal Delivery Confirmation? Do we need to save? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
O Minitab Script to Save Regression Plots to an Image File Using Minitab Software 8
J Does a Lower Thermostat Setting really save Energy? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
Ronen E Can Usability Studies save lives? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
Marc How to Live Easy in China on $475 a Month and still be able to Save Money Immigration and Expatriate Topics 2
SteveK How to be more efficient in Medical Device QA and save money? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 17
R Save Obsolete Documents in Plant Closing? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
C Financial results - What lean should save Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
Jen Kirley In the news: Checklist said to save lives and $ in medical errors World News 5
W Requirement to save original, handwritten internal audit notes? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 11
Howard Atkins A search can save money - Buying Standards Imported Legacy Blogs 5
J Temperature / Pressure / Vacuum training - In-House Calibrations to save money Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 13
Stijloor How to save gas.... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
M Save The Planet - Drink More Scotch! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
Jim Wynne How to save money on type 394 button-cell batteries Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
ScottK Save Internet Radio After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 25
A CMMI 3 - Software - Where we have to save all these documents Software Quality Assurance 4
B Internal Audits save you from Non-Conformances on external audits? General Auditing Discussions 16
M Intranet Documents in PDF - Disabling "save a copy" and "file save" in browsers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
M Positional Tolerance Matrix to save us the the hassle of using the formula Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
P Is it necessary to take out a sample from delivery lot to save for 15 years?! Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
J Any Reason to Save All These QS-9000 Standards QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 6
A You can only choose one Rock n' Roll album to save Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 46
Jim Wynne A Six Sigma Challenge on Usenet - Does six sigma *really* save money? Six Sigma 9
Q Document Control and Distribution - How to save paper? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 61
D PPAP Master Parts - Do we have to save the original PPAP parts? APQP and PPAP 2
C Template for Excel Validation Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
R Gage R&R Excel templates Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S Issuing of CoC to Customer in a Word or Excel format ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Ajit Basrur Track audit findings on Excel tracker Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 9
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
S Anyone Familiar with "SPC for Excel" add-in? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
P Commercial excel templates that calculate overhead, hourly rates, fee proposal Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 0
I Cannot Export multiple sections from Excel to PDF without losing pagination Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 23
M Matching two matrices in Excel Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
J Level 3 KPI Excel Template Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
bobdoering Informational New AIAG PFMEA Process - Excel Template Attached FMEA and Control Plans 23
GreatNate Excel PPAP Tracking templates or tool wanted APQP and PPAP 1
E Part 11 Compliance, Excel living documents (i.e. document master list, equipment list, approved supplier list) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
J ISO 9001:2015 Excel Gap Analysis wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
B AS9110 Audit Check Sheet wanted Excel or Word Document AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
G Excel report with pictures Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
A Query regarding MS Excel usage Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
A Excel OOT (Out of Tolerance) Formula Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 3
D Asterix when pasting a column of values from Excel into Minitab (V17) Using Minitab Software 5
Y Excel Automation - Printing Word Documents from within Excel Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 0
S Help me build an Excel Spreadsheet for tracking training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 14