Save Excel file with Date for Recording Weekly Test Samples

F

farukia

I need to save an excel file which is use for recording weekly test samples(Has 5 worksheets in it Version 2007). The test is done every week and the saving format is the date.

Question is can I save that excel template file and save 52 copies for the entire year of 2010. Reason for doing it the guys filling the sheet in have very little experience with the computer. I have made a bunch of things in the spreadsheet to make their lives easier but they keep screwing up the location folder for saving it and the name format is always different.

This way if i have the files already exisiting they can open it with that date and save it and done.

Thanks,

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Save Excel file with date

I need to save an excel file which is use for recording weekly test samples(Has 5 worksheets in it Version 2007). The test is done every week and the saving format is the date.

Question is can I save that excel template file and save 52 copies for the entire year of 2010. Reason for doing it the guys filling the sheet in have very little experience with the computer. I have made a bunch of things in the spreadsheet to make their lives easier but they keep screwing up the location folder for saving it and the name format is always different.

This way if i have the files already exisiting they can open it with that date and save it and done.

Thanks,
Can't you change the name each week to include the week & year?

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin

Welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

What if you could protect the cell's formulas from change using a method like this one? Then you could have a single file with a bunch of workbooks in it.

Le Chiffre

Quite Involved in Discussions

You can also implement a "Save" macro/script executed from an Excel button in the template. I've done this with both Word and Excel to control where and what filename is used for the save. Some users will still use the <File><Save> ability and mess things up but a big button is hard to miss.

A

adamsjm

A VBA subroutine / procedure can be placed in a standard module and run when you want to save a weekly copy.

An example:
Sub filesave()
ActiveWorkbook. SaveAs Filename:="C:\nashfinch\NFC-ORDER " & _
Format(Now(), "mm_dd_yyyy hh mm AMPM"), FileFormat:=xlNormal, Password:="", _
WriteResPassword:="", ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, CreateBackup:=False
End Sub

I do not have access to Excel 2007 to properly debug and add error checking to the procedure for you.

Look up
MVP date time stamp file *excel*

on your web browser to look for other methods.

Good Luck

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I have used dates in file names for a long time (as in over 20 years). Even today I typically put a date in the file name of most files I make. I see no problem using the date in a file name. Yes, you could make up 50+ files each with a different date in the file name.

B

brahmaiah

Thanks,
Your earlier method doesnot enure effective control of records.Control of record is a shall requirement.The new way you have suggested seems to be OK.
But you have to positively prevent their scewing up the location of records.
V.J.Brahmaiah

F

farukia

Can't you change the name each week to include the week & year?

I could but dont have the time to sit there and save sheets and besides would like to do this to other spreadsheets.

I did think of doing it the way you suggested but with the macros you can have I figured it would be easier.

Thanks

F

farukia

A VBA subroutine / procedure can be placed in a standard module and run when you want to save a weekly copy.

An example:
Sub filesave()
ActiveWorkbook. SaveAs Filename:="C:\nashfinch\NFC-ORDER " & _
Format(Now(), "mm_dd_yyyy hh mm AMPM"), FileFormat:=xlNormal, Password:="", _
WriteResPassword:="", ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, CreateBackup:=False
End Sub

I do not have access to Excel 2007 to properly debug and add error checking to the procedure for you.

Look up
MVP date time stamp file *excel*
on your web browser to look for other methods.

Good Luck

I tried the above but with my limited knowledge of creating macros I could not debug it.
Thanks though,

F

farukia

Welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

What if you could protect the cell's formulas from change using a method like Then you could have a single file with a bunch of workbooks in it.

I do have some cell protection but that isnt the problem here.
All I am looking for is to save the template file with date starting
1st Jan 2010
8th Jan 2010
15th Jan 2010 and so on so forth for the entire year without having to saving it manuallyfor each sheet.

Thanks,

Top Bottom