$ saved using APQP - Can anyone share with me a success story?

R

Roger Eastin

Can anyone share with me a success story using an APQP approach with emphasis on $ saved? I have a management team that has philosophically bought an APQP approach, but is having trouble staying away from the temptation of "shotgunning" projects(I am assuming that the APQP approach is compared to the "shotgun" project management approach!)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Roger,

I work for an organization that has been using a design program (it mirrors Fords design program) which was what the APQP is, to my knowledge, based upon. When I joined the organization, it was the first time I had seen the FMEA process being performed. Systems, Process, and Design FMEAs are performed ritually. Have I a specific dollar amount? Not really, but I can say that often times the FMEA process, and the associated verification and validation, has spared this organization several costly tooling design changes late in the program. Above that, what did we save in the cost of a dissatisfied customer? What did we gain by discovering something missing or wrong early in the Customer's eyes. We don't catch all of our opportunities, but the process really does help. Combined with the other aspects of the design model, virtually anyone involved with design process will see how the program has saved. Design Review periodically through the program is a real check and balance and keeps the program focus and closer to a time plan. Hope this helps.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I heared a story today that in the late 1970's there was a scare as with the 2K bug because in those days the computers worked on one digit. There were problems, I am sure some of you remember this better than I.
If they had performed FMEA then on the process and used APQP techniques to solve the problem then the 2k bug would not be here.

R

Roger Eastin

I appreciate the replies, but if anyone has some dollars that have been saved using an APQP approach, I would appreciate hearing them. I do agree with Deming that most "lost" costs are unknown and unknowable, such as lost customer satisfaction. However, in our indicator-based industry, it would be helpful to hear a story or two of how APQP helped the bottom line.

C

Christian Lupo

APQP = concurrent engineering

IEEE Spectrum, July 1991 "special report on concurrent engineering (CE)"

John Deere & co used CE to cut 30 % off the cost of developing new construction equipment and 60 % off development time

Hewlett-packard decided to improve the quality of its products by 1000 percent in 5 years -- and succeeded! For example, on one product the devgelopment team for an oscilloscope developed the product from idea to finished product in 1/3 the time it took to develop similar products.

AT & T adopted CE and reduced the time it took to develop a new switching system by 50 %.

Institute for defense analysis (Wenner et al 1988) benefits of Ce included:

40 -60 percent reduction in developpment time
30-40 percent reduction in development costs
50 percent reduction in engineering changes
75 percent reduction in rework and scrap

There are other metrics similar to this in "Concurrent engineering effectiveness" by Mitchell Fleischer and Jeffery Liker. I highly recommend it!

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Looks like what we so often find - Few people can really break out costs and savings.

M

Murph095

While I cannot give you definitive numbers I can tell you a story about a tasked missed. APQP is a risk management tool that The OEM's (Primarily) force their suppliers to use to ensure all steps and tasks are performed and on time. When company's rush programs, corners are cut. When corners are cut steps are eliminated and the potential for problems multiplies. I took a program over about a year ago that had just entered production. It was a low volume program and really was not my number 1 priority. After about a month of production I gathered all the previous Program Manager;s APQP documents to review. When I was comparing production drawings to the tooling drawings I noticed a major difference on a pipe location. I started doing some digging and found out to save some time the previous PM had released prints to the tooling suppliers before getting them signed off or at least a E-364 from the customer. (GM) I brought this up to my Management and eventually GM and we had to replace every system out there. Luckily in the year of production there were only about 600 parts produced. The money lost includeds the price to produce 600 new parts, the cost to modify the tooling, and the potential lost business this situation had garnered. We now are also dealing with a company blackeye and now GM's insistance that we perform a back to basics review of every GM program we have. the point is if you can identify a program that ensures compliabnce to customer specs than go for it. APQP is a tool and like any tool will only work if properly used.

Murph

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I don't have a problem with APQP - I think it is a very good 'process', actually - but it comes under the heading of Good Business Practices to me. I was doing some work with a company which had gone through some serious program failures, and which also has multiple business units. Of the several business units, only one is automotive. As is happening in a lot of sectors outsdide of automotiver these days, APQP is now being required by several of their non-automotive customers. Of course, each has it's own 'process' defined each of which is essentially a regurgitation of the AIAG's APQP manual including forms and such.

I saw a similar thing with a client who has Otis Elevator as a customer and a few years ago Otis even had a couple of supplier seminars on APQP. My client declined to participate. As they are one of the few suppliers of a low volume product Otis needs, Otis finally agreed to ISO 9001 registration. But - If you looked at my client's processes they did everything in the APQP process which was applicable to them. I have to say the ISO 9001 implementation process was valuable to them - They identified problems in their work stream and some issues in general that they were not 'aware' of. They also looked at their customer complaints more closely and started to better address failure modes starting with the most common ones.

Like I said, though, I think it would be relatively difficult for most companies to be able to put a number on savings due to using an APQP process.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sidney Vianna Continual decline of ASQ - can it be saved? Nov 2019 ASQ - American Society for Quality 15
S Are vendor (supplier) quotes records that must be saved (controlled)? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 22
I PRG format saved in PCDMIS PRO V4.2 can't export to CATIA V5R16 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
O Quality Bonus Plan - Determining how much money the company saved? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
D Using non-conforming components even though the final assembly is conforming? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
R Clause 7.7 Replicate, Recalibration and Intermediate checks using Artifact ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
Stoic Are any medical device companies using the 2011 FDA process validation guidance instead of GHTF/SG3/N99-10:2004? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B Unit of Use DI (Device Identifier) - Products using the same device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
A Using Arduino based sensors for Poke-Yoke Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
M Using your Manufacturer's ISO certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Ed Panek Adverse Event Clinical Trial using a 510K approved Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
B Using non CE parts in a machine CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
G Gauge R&R on multiple dimensions using 3D measurement system Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
A Hospital IT expectations for connected medical device using WIFI Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 0
Proud Liberal Cp / Cpk on position using multiple MMC bonuses Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
B Using external FDA and ISO 13485 audit as internal audit Internal Auditing 6
D Using "Particle Size Standard" templates as gauges - How to avoid giving a gauge # while using for process control? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
J Class 1 Medical Device - Using a UPC over the UDI? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
I Reducing CE marking cost using manufacturer test reports CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
CPhelan Using clinical trial safety data for evidence for CE marking EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M Accredited Calibration Sevice Provider using computerized system to issue calibration certificate Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
M Accredited Calibration Sevice Provider using computerized system to issue calibration certificate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Raw stock material testing discrepancy using an XRF (x-ray fluorescence) analyzer Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
Z Using FMEA for Knowledge Management FMEA and Control Plans 6
Sidney Vianna NASA to Develop a Novel Approach for All-Electric Aircraft Using Cryogenic Liquid Hydrogen as Energy Storage World News 2
S How many of you are using Robotic process automation for calibration lab management? ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
J Including Repeats in DoE using Minitab Using Minitab Software 5
S Legal Manufacturer FDA Reporting Obligations for Using New Contract Sterilization Site Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
John Predmore What size pinhole can be reliably detected using visual inspection? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
D I'm new in IMDS special using the IMDS application Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
John Broomfield Workplace by Facebook - Any other organizations using this collaborative tool? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
I Flatness - Rectangular part using the three jack method Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
JoshuaFroud How important is using the "correct" GMDN? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
A Overkill? Using the 3L5W tool on non-conformities Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
M GD&T tolerance or band? Using a symbol like parallelism // Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
B Informational Expanded Gage R&R Analysis using Minitab Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 18
S Evaluating the possibilities of using qmswrapper or greenlightguru Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
P Is it possible to make an educated decision using a very very small sample size? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
V Using K-Factor(Tolerance Interval) Analysis for Design Verification Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
O Which is better - Quietly quit using a supplier or tell supplier? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
A Capability Analysis for Packaging Seal Strength with spec. >0.1 Kgf using Minitab Using Minitab Software 6
J Layered Process Audits using Kamishibai Board Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 3
Q How can you justify using a more accurate Pin Gage class? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
S Basic Dimension W/O using FCF Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
G How to compute or estimate a micrometer or caliper flatness using optical flat General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
rob73 Requirement for independent certification of device using an ISO 17025 laboratory EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R Who here is Using a Consultant for ISO 9001 Transition? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S MSA on a process using different fixtures Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
B Gage R & R on Visual Inspection using the Cross Tabulation Method IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4