Saving QMS documents in cloud drive - Compliance with ISO 13485

Hi everyone,

If a company keeps QMS documents in a cloud drive (e.g. Microsoft OneDrive), is this out of compliance with 13485? If so, what sort of work can they do to improve this process? Are there small startups that keep their documents all in a cloud drive? ( OneDrive, GoogleDrive) as their electronic management system (as in without printing anything out)?

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
The requirements are that the documents are adequately protected, available at points needed, etc. so if you have controls in place to ensure that the requirements are met (no unauthorized changes, availability, etc.), there should be no reason why keeping them there would be out of compliance. Review the Document & Record Control requirements and see if you can defend the approach.

amadisonr

Inactive Registered Visitor
For me, the cloud is a tale of caution. How do you protect your data, and how likely or available is the data when retrieved.
As part of the older workforce, it makes me nervous, but I am not a tech wizard with all the answers. Coming from a government contracting business, aerospace, it is hard to feel confident that the level of protection is adequate. Security and protection of data is huge for competitive business as well. I am not a firm believer in the cloud but I am sure it can be set up correctly and the data should be compliant.

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Trusted Information Resource
Actually a strong defense is that companies with cloud services have a business interest in keeping the data secure and you probably cant say that about other methods. For example, I worked for the government. The government has no business interest in keeping data safe. Its merely a requirement so if they have a failure they lose NO BUSINESS. Google on the other hand....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Edward Reesor FDA DM and /or Class I Life Saving US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
P Energy Saving Walkthrough Audit Suggestions General Auditing Discussions 15
P Cost Saving Excercises in Electronic Manufacturing - Quick and Efficient Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
T How can Quality Assurance help the company saving ? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
1 Cost Saving Tracking Template for our Continous Improvement Project Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 2
U Space Saving Furniture Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
J Cancelling an ISO 9001 Registration as a Cost Saving Measure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
G Saving energy through GOOGLE!!! After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
quality1 Cost Saving Ideas with Immediate Impact Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
Marc Checklist in ICU - A 'new' idea! Saving 28,000 Lives a Year Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 5
Marc The end of the road for U.S. carmakers? Are the Big Three worth saving? World News 27
J Procurement Cost Saving Report template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
M Changing the CNC program - Money Saving Idea - Thanks to all of you. Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
H Saving and Control of CMM (Coordinate Measurement Machine) Printouts AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
D Daylight-saving plan has critics burning World News 17
Q Managing a "special" customer into the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q AS9100:2016 D - Intent of 8.4.3 (K) - Implement QMS AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
Q From paper to Electronic (records) in the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A QMS Overhaul - Reorganizing and Renaming Documents - Internal References Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
Q Documented actions and changes in the QMS by COVID 19 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
DuncanGibbons Enterprise Architecture for QMS Conceptualization AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
O Adding ISO 13485 to an AS9100 QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
S Class I MDR Article 10 – QMS EU Medical Device Regulations 1
I Drupal for QMS Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 26
D ISO 9001:2015 4.3 Determining the Scope of the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Scope of Combined ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 QMS - Non-automotive customers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Validation Records - Very young QMS Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
E Sharepoint for ISO 13485 QMS for small IVD company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
GreatNate Where to get a KPI dashboard for QMS processes Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
mike10 QMS Update - Rev. up or start over? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
U QMS for medical device startups ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 25
B QMS question in regards to multiple medical devices/products and N/A activities Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
B Record Management - Does the QMS need to control templates of records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
D How do I promote my QMS? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I Questions to ask when auditing for Organizational Leadership and Planning for the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C QMS Document Management Software Recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 15
R QMS Standard appilications on different Defense Sector Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
O ISO 9001 new certification advice request - Develop a QMS from scratch ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L Clause 0.4 of ISO 9001 and EHS - Where should I stop the inclusion of EHS in my QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
R ISO 13485 QMS Implementation Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
B We need a QMS: file-based templates or software Other Medical Device Related Standards 23
H QMS Software Recommendation (US based, Hemp) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D How to Identify the Risks and Opportunities required for QMS Processes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D Benefits of electronic QMS software Software Quality Assurance 5
D Why are pharma companies automating QMS systems? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
dgrainger QMS for device "use" in a Health Institution? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
R ISO 13485 and QMS related concepts Training - Small medical device startup company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
R Implementing Design History Documents/ Technical Documents in the QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Approvals on QMS Documents - ISO 13485 Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T AS9100D - Scope of QMS for New Company - Only Choosing a Function Subset Due to Management AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14