Savings Yield of Process Improvement over Product Improvement

k3nny

Periodic Visitor
Hi Cove.

During my travels in quality, I have seen product and process improvements - some small, some more significant. However, I remembered reading that a process improvement yields more significant improvements than a product improvement as a general guideline.

Maybe it was Lean vs. Six Sigma article- not sure.

I'm looking for a credible article/resource tied to Wharton, Princeton, Harvard that provides guidelines for the expected improvements from one focus over another. I understand that there are exceptions to every rule. But, basic guidelines to drive a direction.

Ultimately, I am building a business case to develop/improve the systems and products within the company - and need credible, recognizable resources that can be used to drive home this need to a more discriminating audience.

Your assistance is invaluable. Thank you.
:thanx:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Savings Yield of Process Improvement over Process Improvement

Hi Cove.

During my travels in quality, I have seen product and process improvements - some small, some more significant. However, I remembered reading that a process improvement yields more significant improvements than a product improvement as a general guideline.

Maybe it was Lean vs. Six Sigma article- not sure.

I'm looking for a credible article/resource tied to Wharton, Princeton, Harvard that provides guidelines for the expected improvements from one focus over another. I understand that there are exceptions to every rule. But, basic guidelines to drive a direction.

Ultimately, I am building a business case to develop/improve the systems and products within the company - and need credible, recognizable resources that can be used to drive home this need to a more discriminating audience.

Your assistance is invaluable. Thank you.
Hello k3nny,

Very interesting question.

I did a search for you on the Harvard Business Review site.
I searched: Process Improvement vs Product Improvement.

Here are the results: http://harvardbusinessonline.hbsp.h...oduct+Improvement&N=0&Ntk=main_search&x=8&y=9

You may want to dig further. I am very curious about what other Covers come up with.

Stijloor.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

...I remembered reading that a process improvement yields more significant improvements than a product improvement as a general guideline.
I'm not sure why anyone would want pit process improvement and product improvement against one another. They're different categories that can and should proceed concurrently and perhaps independently of one another. A highly efficient process that produces an outmoded product should result in product improvement, and an inefficient process that produces a desirable product should result in process improvement. Can you give a real-world example of the dilemma you're interested in?

k3nny

Periodic Visitor
I'm not sure why anyone would want pit process improvement and product improvement against one another. They're different categories that can and should proceed concurrently and perhaps independently of one another. A highly efficient process that produces an outmoded product should result in product improvement, and an inefficient process that produces a desirable product should result in process improvement. Can you give a real-world example of the dilemma you're interested in?
Sure Jim.

Maybe the easiest approach is to provide you some examples. Here it goes:

a. We have a very inefficient PCN/ECN system (not unlike others)
b. We have a product with greater than .2% returns; defects greater than 1%

I agree with your statement "why would you pit one improvement against another". I also agree with your statement of "a highly efficient process..."

However, in reviewing the scope of a projects. Project B is a local improvement project with potential improvements for quick gains (reduction in scrap per se / lower unit cost). The cost savings are concrete and easily defendable with accounting measures.

Project A, as I mentioned has a global impact (every component, product, specifications will benefit from this change.

My thoughts are that the project A will ultimately generate a significantly greater improvement.

We do build products here. However, I have found that its not the manufacture of the products that is inefficient its the supporting systems such as Sales yielding incorrect forecast, supply chain retaining abnormally large reserves (just in case), planning scheduling without component verification etc.

Any project we choose for a product that could make it more efficient is typically blessed as a project(here). However, systemic areas that I mentioned before that can have a huge impact are not classified in the same list. (harder to measure??)

We have limited resources, as everyone does. However, I want to help us be smart about which projects we choose to master - and the process improvement initiatives are not selected. My (and I hate to use this) gut feel is that a process improvement with global implications can have a 3:1 improvement while a local product improvement is maybe 1.3:1.

Does this make more sense? It comes down to our process systems that could be in any business (think any input - actions performed - output).

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
a. We have a very inefficient PCN/ECN system (not unlike others)
b. We have a product with greater than .2% returns; defects greater than 1%
I think I understand. It seems, though, that both of the examples above are process problems, and not product problems, per se. When you talk about improving a product, it's normally construed to mean that the design of the product must be changed. If you're talking about defective product on the other hand, you have a process improvement issue. So--are you asking about process improvements that result in reduced levels of defects as opposed to process improvements that address efficiency issues, and have little or no impact on the product itself?

P

Pudge 72

In the context that we are talking about here, I would definately agree that your opportunity for widespread improvement will come as a result of process improvement as the process' span over multiple lines of product. There are times when you can incorporate product improvement over multiple "families" of parts, but that is the exception not the norm.

The way I try and work it is to give my Green Belts product improvement projects via our Cost of Goods Sold meetings and give the Black Belts the Process Improvement work. Process Improvements will as a norm involve a bit more management across managment boundries than will a product improvement - products generally involve more engineering and mechanical technique personel to produce true improvement and eliminate variation from a lower level, while the process improvements are more often than not a lot of clerical reorganizing from a system perspective and political jockeying - something that my Green Belts are not ready for yet. They are both using the same set of tools, but they are dealing with completely different groups and using different interaction skills to achieve their ultimate results and project closure. This is something that is really not taught in any Six Sigma course, and from a "pure" perspective should probably not exist,but, unfortunately, company cultures more often than not dictate who can achieve what. Also, don't forget - incorporate Lean techniques while reducing variation and you have process excellence whether you are dealing with a true process or a product.

k3nny

Periodic Visitor

In the context that we are talking about here, I would definately agree that your opportunity for widespread improvement will come as a result of process improvement as the process' span over multiple lines of product. There are times when you can incorporate product improvement over multiple "families" of parts, but that is the exception not the norm.

The way I try and work it is to give my Green Belts product improvement projects via our Cost of Goods Sold meetings and give the Black Belts the Process Improvement work. Process Improvements will as a norm involve a bit more management across managment boundries than will a product improvement - products generally involve more engineering and mechanical technique personel to produce true improvement and eliminate variation from a lower level, while the process improvements are more often than not a lot of clerical reorganizing from a system perspective and political jockeying - something that my Green Belts are not ready for yet. They are both using the same set of tools, but they are dealing with completely different groups and using different interaction skills to achieve their ultimate results and project closure. This is something that is really not taught in any Six Sigma course, and from a "pure" perspective should probably not exist,but, unfortunately, company cultures more often than not dictate who can achieve what. Also, don't forget - incorporate Lean techniques while reducing variation and you have process excellence whether you are dealing with a true process or a product.
Pudge_72 - I think you are closer to where I am headed. I am interested in generating a list of improvement projects. To my benefit, I have a skilled Lean (TPS) trained Production Manager. The improvement are almost incremental (true kaizen). However, the systems that provide him input especially change control in any form seem to need what you refer to as a Black Belt project. How have you gone about generating a master list of projects? and under what premise of importance?

P

Pudge 72

If you do not already have one set up, I highly recommend a monthly financial group that meets to discuss profit margin and potential opporutnity for improvement. This is what I refer to as COGS - Cost of Goods Sold. This group flags product lines that are not performing up to profit margin strictly on financials - this eliminates the emotion of project selection from a product perspective.
For Process Improvement, utilize Internal Audits and systems that have been noted or flagged as barriers in the manufacturing / production proces. We have found that typically, a process that is defunct enough to have generated an NCR generally has been worthy of Black Belt scrubbing and subsequent cost savings across the board - enough to justify it as a Six Sigma worthy project.

Does that help?

k3nny

Periodic Visitor
Your perspective has helped. The good part about beginning is that almost every rock that I turn up will provide a potential process improvement project and I have a good relationship with cost accounting.

I'll put a plan together and try it.

Thanks again.:thanx:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc Daylight Savings time (US) - Spring (ahead) - Sunday March 10, 2019 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
Marc Fall 2018 US Daylight Savings Time ("Fall Back") Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
Q Tracking savings - Long term projects and the day to day decisions Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
L OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness) and Cost Savings Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
D Six Sigma Savings Metrics - Six Sigma Project on OTD Six Sigma 11
somashekar Making permanent savings through Active Energy Efficiency Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 7
D EBIT Cost Savings after Kaizen Event Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
Marc GM stops matching 401(k) payments to all employees? 401(k) savings plans World News 0
Stijloor Open a Savings Account at Wachovia... Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
Y Energy Savings in Glass Tablewares Company - Continuous Improvement Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
T Environmental Savings Projects for 2007 - Ideas and Examples? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 1
D Daylight Savings Time Reminder for 11 March 2007 (United States) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
W Prepared for Daylight Savings Time rule changes in the States? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
E Cost Savings based on 2005 Production - Metric Conversion Problem Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
L Layout and flow improvements - Reduced walking time? Cost savings? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 11
S Cost Savings Ideas - Plastics Injection Molding Automotive Supplier Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
C Calculating Savings from Standard Deviation when Mean remains constant and SD changes Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
Marc Registration: Liability Insurance Savings? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
B Daylight Savings (Summer) Time? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
G FaroArm vs. CMM (coordinate measuring machine) - Savings Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
Marc Sources of Cost Savings - Waste takes on many shapes and forms Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
E 21 CFR 211.103 Calculation of Yield Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 5
R Yield Plot for different groupings Using Minitab Software 3
N Accurate calculations of First Time Quality / First Time Yield Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
P Is throughput yield the same as FPY or FTY? Rolled Throughput Yield Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
P Any official doc/spec on different types of Yield calculation? Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
F Yield reaction higher than 100% Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Q Validation of Predictive Models of Yield Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 19
B Machine Shop Yield and Cost - Productivity, Yield and Absorption Performance Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
T First Pass Yield - Welding Process Improvement Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B How to begin tracking FPY (First Pass Yield) and "Downtime" tracking Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B How RTY (Rolled Throughput Yield) applies to different industries Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
B Calculation of First Pass Yield (FPY) Six Sigma 9
F Rolled Throughput Yield and Confidence Interval Six Sigma 3
V Monitoring Specific Reasons and Categories of Yield Loss of Online Rejects ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
L Definition Throughput Yield (TPY) or First Pass Yield Calculation - Help Needed Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
D Defining Yield Rate Targets for different Manufacturing Processes APQP and PPAP 2
R First Pass Yield - Am I doing correct the First Pass Yield Metric Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
S How to Calculate Overall FPY (First Pass Yield) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
F First Pass Yield Helped Requested Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
Q Machine Shop Yield & Sampling Plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 15
M Correlation between 2 Variables - Potential X's that might affect yield percentage Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
R First Pass Yield Base Line Measurement Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
R Formula for calculating Money Value equivalent to 1% FPY (First Pass Yield) Six Sigma 5
M Developing a CPI for First Pass Yield Final Inspection - Need help Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
P FPY (First Pass Yield) calculation acceptable? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
E Normalized vs. Rolled Throughput Yield - First Pass Yield metrics for our processes Manufacturing and Related Processes 16
P Yield monitoring - Kg in and Kg out Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
A Regulations for Yield Reporting and Evaluation Upon Lot Completion 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D Sampling and Yield calculation for a specific period of time (more than one batch) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2