Scale with Internal Calibration - Do I need to calibrate? How to document this?

N

nikirtehsuxlol

Hi,

I'm trying to write general lab procedures on how to calibrate equipment. Most stuff we calibrate daily and then have an outside source calibrate it yearly.

But there's this one analytical scale that calibrates itself (internal adjustment).

How would you "qualify" this scale for use on a daily basis? Or would you, at all? And how would I document this in my general lab procedures?

I'm pre-thanking you guys. I read this forum and my question seems a bit elementaryyyyyy.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

badkins1

You don't really mention what this internal scale is associted with (type of equipement) or its length, etc. So I am assuming it is linear with some type of DRO or computer interface. Key factor for anything presumed to be self-calibrating is knowing the original factory accuracy and precision information along with rated repeatability. From there it becomes a matter of running the routine and comparing the run results & repeatablity at certain points along the scale path (Full Scale length with defined segmented points along the scale with the ability of the program to hit each value).

Hope this helps a bit.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Hi,

I'm trying to write general lab procedures on how to calibrate equipment. Most stuff we calibrate daily and then have an outside source calibrate it yearly.

But there's this one analytical scale that calibrates itself (internal adjustment).

How would you "qualify" this scale for use on a daily basis? Or would you, at all? And how would I document this in my general lab procedures?

I'm pre-thanking you guys. I read this forum and my question seems a bit elementaryyyyyy.
Do you mean that there is an internal software of the scale that allow an automatic calibration?
If so, you can report in your calibration lab procedures this particular kind of calibration , mentioning the affected equipment.

Before the usage of this scale, you can put a "certified" weight on it and check if the read value corresponds ( including the allowed tollerances).
However, check if this scale shall assure valid results based upon your needs and processes. It could be possible to have it only as a reference.
:bigwave:

N

nikirtehsuxlol

Do you mean that there is an internal software of the scale that allow an automatic calibration?
If so, you can report in your calibration lab procedures this particular kind of calibration , mentioning the affected equipment.

Before the usage of this scale, you can put a "certified" weight on it and check if the read value corresponds ( including the allowed tollerances).
However, check if this scale shall assure valid results based upon your needs and processes. It could be possible to have it only as a reference.
:bigwave:
It is an analytical weighing scale. Mettler Toledo FACT (Fully Automatic Calibration Technology). From their site: fully automatic, motorized adjustment (calibration) with internal weight.

Do I just write something "This scale uses fully automatic, motorized adjustment ... blah blah technology to calibrate itself. Record weight of 200.000g (w/e it is) calibration weight daily in logbook and check for any decrease/increase in scale weight over time using statistical process control"? Or something similar?

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
It is an analytical weighing scale. Mettler Toledo FACT (Fully Automatic Calibration Technology). From their site: fully automatic, motorized adjustment (calibration) with internal weight.

Do I just write something "This scale uses fully automatic, motorized adjustment ... blah blah technology to calibrate itself. Record weight of 200.000g (w/e it is) calibration weight daily in logbook and check for any decrease/increase in scale weight over time using statistical process control"? Or something similar?
Yes, it could be ok.
Is this scale also mantained by vendor or you with a periodical check to assure the good functioning ?
Is there a maintenance program apart for these pieces of equipment ??:bigwave:

harry

Super Moderator
It is an analytical weighing scale. Mettler Toledo FACT (Fully Automatic Calibration Technology). From their site: fully automatic, motorized adjustment (calibration) with internal weight. ..............
To me, this is a product feature. Don't you think it needs to be verified to be working/functioning as well as within specified tolerances or ranges? In essence, it is calibration.

S

samsung

Hi,

Welcome to Elsmar Cove.

Please don't take me wrong but I need to ask a question. What prompts you documenting the calibration procedures for the stuff you calibrate daily?

Probable reasons - customer requirement, errors in measurement attributable to lack of written procedures, high employee turn around or something else?

BradM

Staff member
Admin

I'm not sure what model this balance is, as some of the newer internal calibration processes are quite a bit better than the older ones. However, yes, you can extend the need for external calibrations by using the internal calibration function. Like you mentioned, I would document the drift prior to performing the calibration.

However, I would keep an external calibration activity fairly frequently until you have established consistency. An external calibration is important to verify the accuracy of the internal weights used for the internal calibration, and to verify corner loads. :agree1:

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Welcome to Elsmar Cove.

Please don't take me wrong but I need to ask a question. What prompts you documenting the calibration procedures for the stuff you calibrate daily?

Probable reasons - customer requirement, errors in measurement attributable to lack of written procedures, high employee turn around or something else?
Actually a good question. :agree1: Some labs that perform work under guidance of USP 41 (GLP assay measurement stuff) are required to demonstrate appropriate precision and such. Thus, conducting (and then documenting) the daily checks is not unusual. After all, with the FDA, if it is not documented, it did not happen. :D

But after precision and repeatibility is established, many times the frequencies can be extended. To know how far to extend is dependent on the drift error present prior to each daily verification. So that's why it may be good to document things pretty carefully for a while, to lead how far out your interval can go. :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Internal Scale and Balance Calibration Method Tolerances and Limits General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
K Scoring Scale for Internal Audits - Please help finding the right terms Internal Auditing 44
A Earth leakage current test for Permanently installed Large scale MEE IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
G APQP Scope and scale tool APQP and PPAP 2
G Glass scale calibration at 74 degrees F? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
N Heavy tare to simulate high load in a routine sensitivity test of a floor scale? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
G Does pitch/increment/resolution of a ruled scale apply to measurement uncertainty as line item? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 10
WEAVER Electronic Weighing Scale Calibration Tolerance Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
dhuot1990 USP 41 Hanging Scale - Is it possible to make a hang scale adhere to USP41 Standards? ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
Q FDA 3500A Reports - Trip and Fall - Weight scale with a fold out platform Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Weigh Scale Electronics - Suggested Storage Humidity and Temperature Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
G Uncertainty of staging a short line scale standard on longer measuring machine? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
A Does the scale for counting need Validation? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
G Sample Size, Significant Figures, Scale General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S IEC 60601-2-27: What does "linear within ±20% of the full scale output" mean? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
S Is a GR&R necessary for Weighing Scale? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
B Procedures necessary for things such as the floor cleaner or weigh scale ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
G Metal Scale (SIP-Societe Genevoise) change in size over time? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
S Is calibration of a weigh scale required? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 8
M What is 'Loft' which is used in Boeing company to express 1/1 scale 2D drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M What is the criteria for "small-scale device" regarding CE marking? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D Verification of weighing scale 150kg capacity 0.05g accuracy General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
J Digital Scale Re-Calibration Interval Frequency General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
N Definition of Large-Scale Fixed Installation per the RoHS2 Directive EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Single-Point Scale Calibration - Very Large Scales General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
L Hardness Testing - Rockwell 15T Scale Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Sean Kelley Steel Coil Scale Verification Resolution Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
W Weighing Scale used in Phamaceutical Production - Daily Verification Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 8
A Scale Error Calculator wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
K Where do I find Frequencies and Composite Scale in Minitab? Using Minitab Software 2
K Calibration Standards - Master weight having more tolerance than our gram scale General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D What is a Ford Single Scale? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
K What does Data Logger Accuracy = ? 0.25% of Full scale ? 1 Digit Mean? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
K How to group 5 questions to be one variable for Likert Scale question Using Minitab Software 11
P Chemical Purity Testing - FMEA Severity Scale FMEA and Control Plans 2
I Connection of Secondary Circuits to Medical Weight Scale Enclosure IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
D Conductivity Meter Specification - What Is Accuracy +/- 1% Full Scale + 1 digit General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
S Count (Bolts and Nuts) Scale - Class of Calibration Weights Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
S Offline Laboratory Scale Gauges for Min Max Diameter of Round Steel Bars General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
K Preventing Shortage of Product Quantity - Hand Count and Scale Count Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
D How to Compute the Accuracy Class for a Weighing Scale? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
D How to compute the Permissible Errors for Class 2 Weighing Scale General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R How to understand the "full scale peak-to-valley output" mentioned in IEC 60601-2-27 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
U TS 16949 - Standard KPI Measurement Time Scale Requirement(s) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Ron Rompen Recommended Rockwell 30T Scale Hardness Tester to verify Incoming Product General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
V Is MSA (Measurement System Analysis) required for Weighing Scale? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
K Justifying an Analogue Weighing Scale for Compounding Industry Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 6
S Weighing Scale MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
T Likert Scale Analysis - Newb Needs Help! Using Minitab Software 8
S ISO/TS 16949:2009 and Shipping Scale Calibration Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6