Scope of Combined ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 QMS - Non-automotive customers

M.Serg

Registered
We are an automotive manufacturer certified to IATF 16949 and also ISO 9001 with the same automotive products scope. Recently, we have got potential customers wants to manufacture non-automotive according to ISO 9001. We don't want to apply automotive IATF 16949 requirements for non-automotive products, please I am having the following questions:
1- Can we have 2 different scopes, IATF 16949 for automotive products and ISO 9001 for automotive and non-automotive products?
2- Shall this require 2 separate external audits, one for automotive IATF 16949 products and the other for ISO 9001 non-automotive products?
3- Our QMS documentation is built according to IATF 16949, do we need to update every procedure to differentiate between ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 requirements? Can we prepare an ISO 9001 Matrix for all current IATF 16949 QMS procedures and highlight what is not applicable for ISO 9001?

Please advise with other ideas or best practice

Thanks

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Leader
Super Moderator
1- Yes.
2- Check with your registrar for details regarding how they will handle it
3- Your organization's procedures (I hope) are written for your organization and the policies/activities defined within. (e. the corporate intent for how your organization is to act and perform.) They should not be written for an auditor or even necessarily for a specific "standard" . I can't imagine a procedure or policy that you would have (should have) that would need to be changed, however, only you and your organization know what those procedures and policies state, so only you and your organization can make that determination.

Hope this helps.
Be well (and stay safe)

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Keep as much the same as possible. Most things won't make a difference, such as preventive maintenance. Where you can use less stringent ISO requirements, do so. For example, the standards have different requirements for suppliers and their development. Break them into two groups where necessary -- automotive and non-automotive.

In our experience, you won't have two separate audits. You'll generally have extra time added to audit on non-IATF products and processes.

M.Serg

Registered
Thanks Golfman25, I have already started analyzing ISO 9001 requirements versus IATF 16949 and prepared a list not required processes and company system process like preventative maintenance, ERP (common software), Supplier evaluation (common software), etc. Now, I think the best way is to go through every SOP and decide either to update for non-automotive or deploy the system for both.
Your comment about adding extra audit time is clear, please if you can advise regarding
Thank you very much

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Thanks Golfman25, I have already started analyzing ISO 9001 requirements versus IATF 16949 and prepared a list not required processes and company system process like preventative maintenance, ERP (common software), Supplier evaluation (common software), etc. Now, I think the best way is to go through every SOP and decide either to update for non-automotive or deploy the system for both.
Your comment about adding extra audit time is clear, please if you can advise regarding
Thank you very much
In the past, my registrar would add a 1/2 day to our audit to handle none IATF (TS at the time) products. That's where you'll see the biggest difference. ISO is much more flexible in the production related docs you need -- ie; ppap, control plans, etc.

Top Bottom