Scope of ISO 9001 Registration of Automotive Leasing Company?

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Confucio said: "Scope the scope".

As usual, Sidney we have a lot of common ground. All through there is I agree .... BUT ....

But it is the CB's responsibility to police the use of the marks
Agreed. The problem is we have some CBs out there who cannot police compliance with ISO 9001 never mind understand and police the use of their own organisation and the accreditation body marks or (at its fullest extent) the full range of their client's use of claims to registration - which could be buried in the paperwork of a response to Invitation to Tender. Can you imagine how much time that would take? :rolleyes:
.... and issue a certificate that CLEARLY defines what is certified and what is not.
Again also agreed. I simply believe everything they do should be listed because all their activities are covered by the QMS.
The users of the certificate should also be attentive to it's contents.
I totally agree, in the ideal world we would have intelligent purchasers who understand as much as the average Cover about registration and scopes and can vet a supplier questionnaire / certificate to make sure that what they want is covered by the certified QMS.....

BUT ....

This is a far from perfect world and (as an example of how difficult this is) I have a consultancy client who has for years been accepting unaccredited certificates of registration as the basis for adding suppliers to their approved suppliers list and were totally shocked when I said that the certificate was next to worthless.:bonk:
In the scenario that an organization, with hundreds of plants around the World, has been requested by a customer to have a plant certified, would you expect the whole organization to go for (unnecessary) certification?
I am quite happy to discuss this as an example and maybe Sid, you can comment on my example - just in the interests of sharing opinions.

I agree with your example. If the multi site client can clearly separate product ranges and customer groups or takes great care either to not claim a blanket compliance or to clearly identify their ISO with a plant or product range then this would be acceptable....

BUT ....

If it is the same management team that covers the multi site operation then having selective implementation of ISO 9001.2000 is hardly entering into the spirit of the standard and the commitments that the quality policy requires of the management team.

BTW, I never feel certification is unnecessary! :lol:

Top Bottom