Scope of MRB (Material Review Board) Responsibilities

Watermelonsg

Starting to get Involved
I am preparing for THE CQE exam later this month.
And I came across the question which asks:
The duties of MRB doesn't include which of following:
A. Development of CA plan to correct non-conformities.
B. A review of non-conforming material
C. Disposition of any set-aside non-conforming products
D. Monitoring the effectiveness of the quality system.

I choose D but the suggested answer is A.

It's very clear primary job is to make decision as to use or scrap or rework material. And then we can discuss the corrective actions. Most will follow up on the implementation of CA.
What is been practised in my company is aside from material disposal. I will also follow up the CA to ensure its been implemented effectively.
But doesn't take consideration of quality system.

Anyone can give your view on this question?

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource

It's very clear primary job is to make decision as to use or scrap or rework material. And then we can discuss the corrective actions. Most will follow up on the implementation of CA.
What is been practised in my company is aside from material disposal. I will also follow up the CA to ensure its been implemented effectively.

My selection would be "D" only because their main function is disposition of non-conforming material. CA is part of that. In my opinion.

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
My selection would be "D" only because their main function is disposition of non-conforming material. CA is part of that. In my opinion.
I have a different opinion. The MRB determines whether the material can be Used As IS, Reworked, Repaired or should be scrapped. RC&CA is different function not performed by the MRB. RC&CA can be a complex process that might divert the MRB from its responsibility.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

This is a good example of why many, if not most, ASQ exam questions are nonsensical. All of the potential answers are correct, or they're all incorrect, depending on how a company defines the duties. I would would be torn between A and D, and wind up throwing a dart.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
I have a different opinion. The MRB determines whether the material can be Used As IS, Reworked, Repaired or should be scrapped. RC&CA is different function not performed by the MRB. RC&CA can be a complex process that might divert the MRB from its responsibility.

Al,

Neither is Monitoring of the effectiveness of the quality system. But you can not choose 2 answers. "The duties of MRB doesn't include which of following:" D would be the correct selection in my opinion.

Yes I can agree with you about the main functions of the MRB, but the question doesn't state that.

Watermelonsg

Starting to get Involved
Al,

Neither is Monitoring of the effectiveness of the quality system. But you can not choose 2 answers. "The duties of MRB doesn't include which of following:" D would be the correct selection in my opinion.

Yes I can agree with you about the main functions of the MRB, but the question doesn't state that.
I think this question is poorly designed for CQE exam. MRB is reactive to a problem happened and resulted the request of material disposal. It is barely used for monitor effectiveness of a quality system. But it could be a reflection of how effective the system is( more MRB conducted in quarter 1 than any quarter in last year may suggest something is wrong...yet it is not very direct correlation without putting effort to reveal the relationship).
With this said, I don't agree it's used to developing CA. We can say fairly that a member from quality department should follow up or drive the CAR process. But that's after MRB is done.
It is like a follow up action, but this action is only on driving development/deployment of CA.

Top Bottom