Scope of TL 9000 - Telcos contracts now requiring registration

H

harvey

The Telcos who started TL 9000 are now requiring in contracts that their suppliers are registered - for many types of product. Yet the categories of equipment for which metrics are specified is almost exclusively limited to network element products.

Should a supplier of equipment outside the defined categories assume that this equipment will one day be included, and work towards registration? QuEST Forum say they do not intend to repeat the QS9000 situation where every supplier of automobile-related products must be approved.

How will TL 9000 reflect the convergence between telecoms and other electronics?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Douglas E. Purdy

I do not know if this is in line with this topic but the questions asked reminded me of something I heard from a Sales & Marketing professional this week. This person said that many of the Telcoms are requiring their suppliers to be registered to QS-9000 as opposed to TL-9000. I was wanting to know how true this statement was?

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I'd sure like more info as well. Sorry I can't help with the original question in this topic.

L

Les Lovatt

As Quality Manager of a company who supplies into both Auto & Telecom markets I am confused with the QS / TL 9000 issue. Is TL-9000 a phantom or does it really exist??
Can anyone enlighten me or pass some relevant info on.
Cheers!

Casana

Blueberry Nut
Les,
I recently attended an intro seminar for TL 9000. They said that its still basically in its infancy... there are only 25 or so companies registered to it, and these are driving it down to their suppliers. My personal guess is that it will not hit the smaller suppliers until at least a couple of years from now. But its definitely coming!

I posted question similar to yours in the QS forum, you can read the answers I got at http://Elsmar.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000412.html

You can also check out the Quest Forum's website at http://questforum.asq.org/
if you want some more info. (The Quest forum is the group that's creating the TL std., just as the the AIAG created the QS std.)

-Casana

T

The Fixer

TL9000 Caution ! My company is part of the QUEST Fourm. We service anybody who's anybody in the Telecom world. We have not, however, chosen to register to TL-9000 yet. (We are ISO9001)
There is an alarming trend developing. Those customers who have embraced initial TL registration (a dubious distinction at this early stage) are adding service requirements related to the TL metrics. We are having to provide data in quantity and format which the customer needs to support the TL metrics requirements.
TL metrics implementation are costly and labor intensive. So, although we are not registered, it seems we are having TL compliance thrust upon us.
The previous comments in this thread imply that companies are requiring suppliers to become registered. I can definately see that happening.
I don't like the smell of this whole thing. A registered company must report specific data to the UTD (Univ. of Tx at Dallas) which is put into the MRD (Metrics Repository Database). IF the supplier can't provide the supporting data to allow the registered company to input the data, the company's registration is at risk.
You figure it out.

H

harvey

It was my underatanding that TL 9000 registered companies need to obtain data from their CUSTOMERS to produce the TL 9000 metrics that are sent to UTD. After all, the metrics are intended to measure the company's success in satisfying its customer, in delivering reliable products, on-time delivery, responsive service, fault-free upgrades, etc. Where does the registered company's supplier have to supply data?

D

Donna-2002

TL9000: Fact or Fiction?

It's the real deal.

Here's the adoption rates:

1999: 11 certificates
2000: 49 certificates
2001: 161 certificates
as of this writing: 204 certificates
2002 (year end): 1058 certificates

Carriers and suppliers alike are now imposing TL9000 compliance as a requirement in newly issued or amended contracts. I have seen the requirements called out in contracts from SBC, BellSouth, Verizon, BellCanada, Nortel, Alcatel, Spirent, Tyco, etc. Additionally, the investor community is starting to require a gap analysis as part of the due diligence process in deciding whether or not to invest. And, yes, peer pressure in the market is also motivating companies to do this.

The companies that are doing this have spent a significant amount of money and time on the development this standard. A funny coincidence is that the companies that are doing this hold the higest amount of supplier purchasing power. You can reach this conclusion on your own if you visit the QuEST Forum membership at http://www.quest.org, then visit Hoover's at http://www.hoovers.com, and then get your hands on some latest market analysis on the telecom industry.

You are fooling yourself if you think this is not being taken seriously. I personally know of a company that lost a large chunk of revenues by not listening to their number 1 customer. I also know of other companies who have shrunk their return rates to less than 1%, improved their reliability rates to 99.999%, and double their revenues during the our recent economic depression. The numbers are impressive, and they are the results that the founding carriers and suppliers hoped to see.

Read more details at this website: http://pulse.tiaonline.org/article.cfm?id=565

Also, feel free to drop me an e-mail at [email protected].

J

jaimezepeda

The Fixer said:
TL9000 Caution ! ...
TL metrics implementation are costly and labor intensive. So, although we are not registered, it seems we are having TL compliance thrust upon us.
The previous comments in this thread imply that companies are requiring suppliers to become registered. I can definately see that happening.
I don't like the smell of this whole thing. A registered company must report specific data to the UTD (Univ. of Tx at Dallas) which is put into the MRD (Metrics Repository Database). IF the supplier can't provide the supporting data to allow the registered company to input the data, the company's registration is at risk.
You figure it out.

I feel your pain. We are seeking TL 9000 registration. We are challenged with finding benchmarking data for our industry. QuEST will provide the data to its members ($10K annual fee). However, my organization (and I assume many others) cannot justify that expense.

How have others managed the TL 9000 metrics challenges?

Jaime E. Zepeda

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R QS 9000 3rd Edition: Safety & Laboratory Scope QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
Crimpshrine13 Laboratory Scope - Calibration vs. Test Methods - IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Are risks in supply chain and development activities within scope of MDD? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Limited Scope for second site Question? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Scope of ISO 9001 clause 10.2 in the product life cycle ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A IATF 16949 4.3.1 - Determining the scope of the quality management system - supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
G APQP Scope and scale tool APQP and PPAP 2
R NRTL - Scope Question - Off-the-Shelf Plug In IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
D ISO 9001:2015 4.3 Determining the Scope of the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Scope of Combined ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 QMS - Non-automotive customers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
O MDSAP Reduction in Scope Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
D Do non-IATF customers need to be included in audit scope? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
K Restricted Scope of ISO 13485 Certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
C IATF 16949 - Scope or not? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Similar scope medical products connected by WIFI US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
N IATF 16949:2016 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - How to approve the Testing Laboratory without accreditation scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
qualprod To raise a NC beyond the audit scope? Two signatures were missing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
D CE Marking Requirements MDD & MDR - new product development covered under same scope EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P Scope of application for IEC 60601-1-11 Medical electrical equipment — Part 1-11 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M ISO 27001 ISMS scope for companies with subsidiaries IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
T AS9100D - Scope of QMS for New Company - Only Choosing a Function Subset Due to Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
R Scope of ISO 13485 certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Scope of Facility - Our auditor asked us last week for our "Scope of the Facility" AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
L Dying a slow SCOPE death - NEW ISO APG Paper on Scope and Applicability May 2020. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
P Dropping ISO 9001 limits the scope of the ISO 13485 audit? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
W Scope of MRB (Material Review Board) Responsibilities Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
P ISO 80369-7 standard - Interpreting which Parts should be in scope Other Medical Device Related Standards 7
I Sales Documents in scope for ISO-9001:2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
V Exclusion of 'Design and Development' from scope of certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
S ISO 13485 scope of certification - We are a virtual manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
F API Spec Q1 Scope - Limiting the scope of certification Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
M How To Define ISMS (information Security Management System) Scope IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 9
qualprod ISO 9001:2015 8.5.1 f - Scope with customer special process requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M Determining number of employees within the "Scope" of the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Informational Scope of BSI for the MDR – Regulation (EU) 2017/745 on medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News TGA Consultation: Changes to a number of definitions and the scope of the medical device regulatory framework in Australia Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Q Calibration laboratory scope - Include software such as Gagetrak or Mini tab used? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
A Determining the Scope of the QMS during Stage 1? Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
F Information Technology in IATF 16949 audit scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
S MDSAP Scope ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
W Minor Audit Nonconformance Against Determining the scope of QMS IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
K MDSAP scope vs ISO 13485 Scope Canada Medical Device Regulations 4
S Regulatory Certification Exam (RAC) - Global Scope ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P Injection Molding Machine Validation Scope Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
S ISO 9001:2015 - Scope of Registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 35
T Restricting scope of AS9100 certification to a couple of customers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Q AS9120B Clause 8.4.1.1 External Providers Scope of Approval AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
S Scope change in Japan - Class I disposable medical devices Japan Medical Device Regulations 0
a_bardi Is it possible to exclude internal audit from qms scope? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5