Scrap % Calculation Formula

swanny297

Starting to get Involved
Alright, need your quick math skills, there is a bit of an ongoing debate on scrap calculation and I would like to see your answers:

Vendor Scrap - 0pcs
Internal Scrap - 29pcs
Internal Set up Scrap - 155pcs
Good product run (put in boxes to go to customer) - 514pcs

What scrap percentage for this run do you calculate - we use all forms of scrap in the calculation and don't separate anything out.

Thanks
Clint

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

hogheavenfarm

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Scrap % Calculation

"...we use all forms of scrap in the calculation and don't separate anything out...."

Then this is your own formula, every company may be different, depending upon what they want to see. In one company I worked at, set up scrap was in a different category than "bad parts", and was used to monitor die change times and equipment and tooling lines. Bad parts are defects, these were monitored directly, although separated into an "internal category". Parts that made it out and were bad (shipped to customer) were another "external" category, and supplier defects could be listed under "internal" or "external" depending upon what you intend to do with the data.

P

PaulJSmith

I agree with Steven. If you are considering all scrap with no distinction, then the simple formula is the best. Even if you divide it into categories, your overall scrap rate will still be that simple formula.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource

I would note that if I was interested in (vendor scrap %), I would use vendor scrap # divided by total received....
You may not have used all received in your production run....

Candi1024

Quite Involved in Discussions

I curious about what the debate could possibly be, especially since you already stated that everything is included in scrap so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
perhaps it is whether or not the denominator is only the good parts put in the box or the good parts put in the box and scrapped parts?

I have seen this with people who never really understood percentages

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Depends on what you want to know. If you want to know your performance, why would you include setup scrap? If you do stamping, there is trim (offall). Both are quoted in the production. If you want to know your performance, then simply calculate the inverse of Yield. If you make 100 parts, how many of them must be scrapped? Produce 100 pieces, scrap 3 pcs, that is a 3% scrap rate.

This method by separating setup from production scrap, while it does not decrease the overall amount, or the percent remains the same, it does allow for occurrence monitoring that should be then driven into process improvements at either level.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant

This method by separating setup from production scrap, while it does not decrease the overall amount, or the percent remains the same, it does allow for occurrence monitoring that should be then driven into process improvements at either level.
True, if the different categories are not lumped into one bucket... I ask clients "what do you want to know?" That should guide how the metric is set up.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Cost of Poor Quality (CoPQ) - Scrap element of calculation includes lost margin? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
F Determining what type of scrap to include in my internal PPM calculation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
M Cost Avoidance Calculation - Scrap Reduction Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
M Targets / limits for PPM/ Scrap Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Scrap metric/ Waste metric Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Q IATF rule for single site - Ingots from scrap metal recycling company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
N Interesting Discussion Murder mystery and mission creep - Challenged to eliminate scrap AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 27
Sidney Vianna IAQG News Future AS9147- Management of Unsalvageable Parts - Previous scrap parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A Scrap is NCR or not - What regulation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
N Establishing a monthly scrap cost target Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 11
WCHorn Rendering Scrap Unusable before Disposal (AS9100D, Section 8.7) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
J IATF 16949 Clause 8.7.1.7 Nonconforming Product Disposition - Scrap Rendered Unusable IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 64
R DPPM? Scrap? Both? How to report Returns Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
N Ways to Destroy Scrap Parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
N What Can I Do With Plastic Pellet Scrap? Manufacturing and Related Processes 17
Z Scrap Process - They weren't Physically (Dimensionally) Nonconforming Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
S Cell Rubber Stamping PPM for Scrap Analysis Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
C Severity of Effect on Process (Manufacturing/Assembly Effect) Scrap or Reworking FMEA and Control Plans 3
J Looking for reference to Electronics Industry's Standard Scrap Rates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R How to Handle 'Scrap and Replace' of Non-Conforming Products Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
M Start Up Scrap vs. ppm (Parts per Million) in an FMEA IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
Q Temporary Control of Scrap at the Machines while the Process is Running Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
J Scrap, Control or Marking - Ball Bearing Distribution and Re-Lubrication AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Q ISO 9001 Clause 8.3: Scrap, Rework, Repair, Why? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Disposition of Reject vs. Scrap Material Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
F Do we need to destroy all nonconforming scrap product - AS9100C AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
D Scrap Procedures - Example wanted Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
N Scrap Stored Long Term in MRB - ISO 9001 Nonconformance or Annoyance? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A Calculating Scrap Level for Cp=0.97 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
R Analysing Scrap from Machinery Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
P Disposal of Plastic used in Medical Parts (Scrap) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Q Scrap + Replacement always? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
B Gather and Analyze Production Scrap - MiniTab 16 vs. Excel Data Analysis Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
P Scrap handling system in soap industry - example Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
N Quality Objective - Scrap Measureables ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
C Discarding Customer Scrap product without their knowledge Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
A Scrap vs. Rework Classification - Scraping the resistor or reworking the PCB board? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
L Quality Objectives Ideas - Currently we have Scrap & rework, OTD, survey results, etc Manufacturing and Related Processes 50
E Recording Scrap - Problems in the Medical Device Manufacturing Sector ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A How do I set up a PPM with Total pcs shipped vs. Total Scrap for the month Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
A Control Chart to Track Effectiveness of Actions to Reduce Scrap Rate Six Sigma 7
P Study of Scrap on one of our production lines - What to use? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
L Control of Nonconforming Product in a Tool Shop - Scrap Dies Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
B Unregistered Bulk Scrap Metal Suppliers - Do they need to be ISO 9001 certified? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
T Nonconformity Records - Nonconformity vs. Scrap - 8.3 Requirements Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 14
O Scrap rate in the iron foundry casting industry Benchmarking 3
SteelMaiden Scrap Trader Kidnapped? UK scrap trader kidnapped by Chinese client World News 5
B The correct approach to calculating Internal Scrap ppm Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
kmyers Scrap Material Areas - How to control nonconforming material ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
S AS9100 Clause 8.3 "Rendering Scrap Unusable" AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 28