Scrap Process - They weren't Physically (Dimensionally) Nonconforming

Z

Zoey1

Hello,
I have a incident with a scrapping process. The buyer purchased the wrong part number the parts matched the purchase order they weren't physical nonconforming however they were the wrong part number they couldn't be used or be returned to the vendor so the parts were scrapped out using a e-mail attached in a database stating they were scrapped. When questioned why they didn't follow the internal scrapping process they stated this issue didn't fall in to the scrapping procedure so I asked what process they followed for this and they said there wasn't one for this situation.:bigwave:

My question is should this be written up for lack of availability of work instruction per AS9100 7.5.1????????

Thank you

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Hello,
I have a incident with a scrapping process. The buyer purchased the wrong part number the parts matched the purchase order they weren't physical nonconforming however they were the wrong part number they couldn't be used or be returned to the vendor so the parts were scrapped out using a e-mail attached in a database stating they were scrapped. When questioned why they didn't follow the internal scrapping process they stated this issue didn't fall in to the scrapping procedure so I asked what process they followed for this and they said there wasn't one for this situation.:bigwave:

My question is should this be written up for lack of availability of work instruction per AS9100 7.5.1????????

Thank you
This is a drain of company resource, and directly must be addressed in the adequacy of specified purchasing requirements and its review and approval prior to communication.
The internal scarapping process must address the aspect of "Wrong part ordered - therefore scrap" also within the process.

harry

Trusted Information Resource
................. The buyer purchased the wrong part number the parts matched the purchase order they weren't physical nonconforming however they were the wrong part number they couldn't be used or be returned to the vendor so the parts were scrapped out ...........

You may also want to look at your purchasing process. Is there a 'purchase requisition'? If you don't have one, consider adding it as it can help to cut down on wrong parts being purchased. Not all buyers are well versed with technical details. If you have one, check if the requisition is correct.

P

PaulJSmith

You could do that.

Most importantly, though, I think, is that you have a couple of obvious opportunities for improvement; your scrap process has exposed an inadequacy, as has your purchasing process. You didn't say how this was found. Was it an internal audit? Does it require a "write-up" of some sort? Write it up however you choose if that's how your system needs to handle it, but just be sure you address these issues ... and any others which might be exposed as you investigate.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Hello,

Thank you

You say that it was stated that "...this issue didn't fall in to the scrapping procedure..." If this was an accurate observation, perhaps you need to expand the scope of the scrap procedure to remove the ambiguity, or clarify what is covered by the scrap procedure.

J Allen

Involved In Discussions
We wrote a special section to our nonconforming material procedure that allows parts to be scrapped under certain circumstances such as: set-up parts, parts whose value is under a specified dollar amount, obsolete parts, ...etc. They are still documented on a NCR tag and the disposition is scrap but the process may not necessarily go through formal corrective action.

Z

Zoey1

The parts were found on the manufacturing floor and QC decides to scrap these parts with an e-mail instead of following the internal scrap procedure.
I will review the scrap procedure and try to clarify and add more options for difference circumstance for scrapping. Thank you all for the feedback it was very helpful.

Top Bottom