Searching for TOYOTA product development system (Toyota Production System)

Q

qihonghai

I am a project manager in a automobile parts company. I need to do a project for TOYOTA, but I didn't do Japanese automobile parts before. I know there are lots of differents between TOYOTA and GM or VW. So I hope somebody can give a TOYOTA development system to me.
It will be highly appreciate if you give it to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
W

wmarhel

Re: Searching for TOYOTA product development system

I am a project manager in a automobile parts company. I need to do a project for TOYOTA, but I didn't do Japanese automobile parts before. I know there are lots of differents between TOYOTA and GM or VW. So I hope somebody can give a TOYOTA development system to me.
I really wish it was that easy, but unfortunately it isn't. There really isn't a simple response to your questions. My suggestion is to talk with your contact at Toyota, or ask to discuss your concerns with someone in either engineering or quality. I really don't believe that Toyota would hang you out there to fail, or they wouldn't have given you the opportunity to begin with. It's best to go to the source.

Please let us know what you find out.

Regards,

Wayne

harry

Trusted Information Resource

You are spot on Wayne. If Toyota decide to work with you, they will treat you as a 'partner'

U

Umang Vidyarthi

:bigwave: Welcome to the cove qihonghai :bigwave:

Wmarhel & Harry have given you the right advise, to contact TOYOTA. They treat their suppliers as 'partners' and teach them all the tricks in the trade.

Additionally I suggest you go through two books "THE TOYOTA WAY" & "THE TOYOTA WAY FIELD BOOK" by Jeffery K Liker, published by Tata McGraw-Hill. They contain 14 Management Principles and 4 Ps of "TOYOTA PRODUCTION SYSTEM" popularly known as 'TPS' in short. It describes how TPS evolved as a new pradigm of manufacturing.

By going through these books you will be able to understand their philosophy and methods. In brief, the 14 Principles are foundation of TPS, sub-devided into four categories, all starting with 'P' for Phlosophy, Process, People/Partners and Problem-solving.

By using TPS, Toyota has turned 'operational excellence' into a strategic weapon, which is based in part on quality tools viz: Kaizen, JIT, One-piece flow, Heijunka and Jidoka. These techniques formed the basics of 'Lean manufacturing' revolution.

In the words of Taiichi Ohno, the founder of TPS: "All we are doing is looking at the timeline from the moment the customer gives us an order to the point when we collect the cash. And we are reducing that timeline by removing the non-value-added waste".

I am not as lucky as you are to be a direct supplier of TOYOTA, but I have learnt the 'TOYOTA PRODUCTION SYSTEM' mainly from these books and am trying to apply them in parts at my factory. Though far-far removed from the ideal, I have gained a lot in improved quality & production.

Hope this helps and wish you all the best. Do come back to share your experience and/or for any more questions on TPS.

:caution: Try to avoid parking your mail ID in the open. It may be misused.

Umang :D

U

Umang Vidyarthi

:bigwave: Welcome to the cove qihonghai :bigwave:

Wmarhel & Harry have given you the right advise, to contact TOYOTA. They treat their suppliers as 'partners' and teach them all the tricks in the trade.

Additionally I suggest you go through two books "THE TOYOTA WAY" & "THE TOYOTA WAY FIELD BOOK" by Jeffery K Liker, published by Tata McGraw-Hill. They contain 14 Management Principles and 4 Ps of "TOYOTA PRODUCTION SYSTEM" popularly known as 'TPS' in short. It describes how TPS evolved as a new pradigm of manufacturing.

By going through these books you will be able to understand their philosophy and methods. In brief, the 14 Principles are foundation of TPS, sub-devided into four categories, all starting with 'P' for Phlosophy, Process, People/Partners and Problem-solving.

By using TPS, Toyota has turned 'operational excellence' into a strategic weapon, which is based in part on quality tools viz: Kaizen, JIT, One-piece flow, Heijunka and Jidoka. These techniques formed the basics of 'Lean manufacturing' revolution.

In the words of Taiichi Ohno, the founder of TPS: "All we are doing is looking at the timeline from the moment the customer gives us an order to the point when we collect the cash. And we are reducing that timeline by removing the non-value-added waste".

I am not as lucky as you are to be a direct supplier of TOYOTA, but I have learnt the 'TOYOTA PRODUCTION SYSTEM' mainly from these books and am trying to apply them in parts at my factory. Though far-far removed from the ideal, I have gained a lot in improved quality & production.

Hope this helps and wish you all the best. Do come back to share your experience and/or for any more questions on TPS.

:caution: Try to avoid parking your mail ID in the open. It may be misused.

Umang :D
I missed the attachment of 14 Management Principles

Attachments

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Admin

There is a question by Umang Vidyarthi as to whether this discussion thread is about the TOYOTA product development system or the 'TOYOTA PRODUCTION SYSTEM'.

Also, suggested by Umang Vidyarthi: This thread belongs to 'Manufacturing' forum, in stead of 'APQP and PPAP'.

Comments?

harry

Trusted Information Resource
The Wiki page on Wikipedia reference-linkToyota Production System is informative and provide many links to other related resources.

The Toyota Production System (TPS) combines management philosophy and practices to form an integrated socio-technical system at Toyota. The TPS organizes manufacturing and logistics for the automobile manufacturer, including interaction with suppliers and customers. The system is a major precursor of the more generic "Lean manufacturing." Taiichi Ohno, Shigeo Shingo and Eiji Toyoda developed the system between 1948 and 1975.[1] Originally called "Just In Time Production," it builds on the approach created by the founder of Toyota, Sakichi Toyoda, his son Kiichiro Toyoda, and the engineer Taiichi Ohno. The founders of Toyota drew heavily on the work of W. Edwards Deming and the writings of Henry Ford. When these men came to the United States to observe the assembly line and mass production that had made Ford rich, they were unimpressed. While shopping in a supermarket they observed the simple idea of an automatic drink resupplier; when the customer wants a drink, he takes one, and another replaces it.

The main goals of the TPS are to design out overburden (muri), inconsistency (mura) and eliminate waste (muda). The biggest effects on process value delivery are achieved by designing a process to be capable of delivering the required results smoothly; by designing out 'mura'. Next in line is to ensure that the process can flex as much as required without stress or 'muri' since this generates 'muda'. Finally the tactical improvements of waste reduction or the elimination of 'muda' are very valuable. There are 7 kinds of muda targeted in the TPS:

1. over-production
2. motion (of operator or machine)
3. waiting (of operator or machine)
4. conveyance
5. processing itself
6. inventory (raw material)
7. correction (rework and scrap)

W

wmarhel

I forgot about this book until I happened to look at my bookcase:

The Toyota Product Development System: Integrating People, Process, and Technologyby James Morgan and Jeffrey K. Liker

It should give you a good 10,000 foot overview. But if I had the choice of learning from Toyota itself, or reading a book from a consultant who spent time studying (note: not doing or being directly involved...but studying), the choice would be easy.

Talk to your contacts at Toyota, based on my past experience they are more than willing to help those that are interested. Your success, helps them become successful in return. If only more businesses understood this simple concept.

Regards,

Wayne

W

wmarhel

Also, suggested by Umang Vidyarthi: This thread belongs to 'Manufacturing' forum, in stead of 'APQP and PPAP'.

Comments?
The Manufacturing Forum probably makes the most sense.

Wayne

W

wmarhel

Hi Umang,

I'd like to make some clarifications and perhaps add some very critical nuances to your comments. One area of misconception that is far too common as it relates to TPS (Toyota Production System) is this concept of tools, and this toolbox approach that so permeates much of today's literature.

This is unfortunate, and perhaps one of the greatest reasons why more companies have not been able to get beyond the basics and truly integrate these principles. What Toyota does, on a daily basis and very well, is apply principles to their operations and processes. They aren't looking to apply a tool: kaizen, JIT (more on this below), SMED (Single-Minute Exchange of Die), etc. For them, this is how they manage and reduce waste. Whereas many companies are all excited about doing SMED, and it is a great first step, they don't realize that the real goal should be to do away with a set-up altogether.

Kanban is another item that is largely misunderstood. The goal isn't to use kanban, but to do away with the need to have it in the first place. Kanban is an intermediate step, and is a temporary solution to a problem; the product or information simply can't flow through the process.

Ohno himself decried the use of the term "Toyota Production System" as he felt it downplayed the usefulness of the approach. He thought that it was more of a management system with these principles (kaizen, SMED, TPM, etc.) governing how the operations were managed on a daily basis. Thinking of it in these terms broadens the horizons of how it can be applied and open up some real opportunities.

Earlier this month I was fortunate enough to present at a Lean Management conference again this year, and have lunch with Andrew Dillon. Drew is perhaps best known for his completing the translations of the earlier books of Taiichi Ohno and Shigeo Shingo that were published by Productivity Press. But more importantly, he spent a lot of time traveling with them as their translator. A large part of this discussion revolved around the "principles of Lean (from the TPS perspective) versus Lean as commonly practiced today". We ended up with quite a discussion at the lunch table.

Back to the original comments though, looking at these "principles" simply as tools to be applied from time to time will not allow your organization to reach the full potential.

Wayne

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Searching for TOYOTA Floor Management Development System (FMDS) board Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
D Searching for attachments can't find it Forum News and General Information 3
J Searching Registered Medical Devices in Argentina Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
Watchcat CERs Literature Databases - Searching for data to evaluate EU Medical Device Regulations 16
L Sources for Searching Old Electronic Parts Specs (Counterfeit Inspection) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
P Searching for a complete audit check list based on ISO14001:2004 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
Marc Searching Linkedin Posts - What am I missing? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 14
B Searching for Naval Air Engineering Center test specification NAEC TP 83-1 Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
T Searching for books which have content of 7.1.4. Change Control topics Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
2 Complete Cycle for Complaint Process - Idea Searching Customer Complaints 7
B I need good advice to give a single mom searching for answers Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 13
S Searching Patent Applications - How to find out when a patent is abandoned? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
S Searching for a Lab to test Patient Safety for Product used in Mouth CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
B Searching for the Best Smoothing Constant using a Grid Search Using Minitab Software 2
Jim Wynne Information on Searching, or Searching for Information After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 20
G Searching for Auditor Competence and Training .ppt presentation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
K Searching for any information regarding ISO 10079-1 - Vacuum Collection Canisters Other Medical Device Related Standards 6
S Searching for applicable Standards for a Medical Device using electronics, software Other Medical Device Related Standards 11
T Searching for 6 sigma case studies: medicines, manufacturing Six Sigma 6
R Searching for a good 5S training videos/DVD. Any suggestions? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 13
M Searching data for a reliability prediction - Calculating failure rate of an MCU Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
M Student searching for a TS 16949 Quality Manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
U Searching for Lead auditor training for iso9001/14001 General Auditing Discussions 0
D Searching for Galia Standards - English Version Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
T Searching for PDSA manual Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
Q Registrar Comparison - Searching for previous post related to Registrar Comparison IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
E Searching for ISO 15161:2001, 15189:2003, 90003:2004... Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 9
D Searching for Monitoring Equipment for VOCs, Ozone and other indoor air pollutants Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
N Searching for QAP encode method ? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
N Searching for FMVSS 202A clause? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
Wayne Searching for Zero - The Definitive Dimensional Metrology Reference Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 7
R Searching for a 'closed' corrective action example Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
T Searching for: Procedure for validation of dry measure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
E Searching for suggestions on the modalities of representation of a process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
B Searching for software to track and trend customer complaints Customer Complaints 11
Marc Searching Multiple Internet Boards/Forums Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 0
B Toyota PPAP Process - Three Questions APQP and PPAP 5
B Does Toyota utilize IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
L Toyota doesn’t use Six Sigma Six Sigma 1
C A couple CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) questions... Esp. Ford & Toyota Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
D TS16949 Annex A versus Toyota MQC's IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
Stijloor Toyota recalls more than 6 million vehicles. World News 5
S Toyota PPAP Information Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
L Christmas Toyota Accelerator Problem Settlement for the New Year! World News 9
P What is the last revision of Toyota SQAM (Supplier Quality Assurance Manual)? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
R Does anyone have the list of Toyota PPAP requirements? APQP and PPAP 6
B Toyota FMDS (Floor Management Developmental System) Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
J New Toyota Supplier Quality Manual is on the Toyota Web Site Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
L Rise and fall of Toyota - sourcing information for a presentation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
F Toyota A3 Practical Problem Solving (PPS) Document Needed Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1