Second Registrar Visit to Confirm Major Nonconformances Fixed

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
As always, I begin by thanking the people who administer and contribute to this place - don't know what I'd do without my extended dysfunctional family :bigwave:

I had an ISO 9001 surveillance audit on the system I recently inherited. We were written up for two major nonconformances, neither of which I would argue with.

Our auditor stated that it's the certifying body's policy to schedule a return visit in sixty days to verify the implementation and effectiveness of the corrective actions, and since his schedule is full this would have to be done on a Saturday.

Has anyone else encountered a policy similar? I understand the opportunity to bill for increased revenue. The policy is not mentioned on the CB's website or in our contract.

Much thanks - normzone

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
That doesnt seem right :(

It is expected for the CB's Audit Manager to coordinate the dates with you and definitely not have the visit on a holiday. Its the responsibility of the CB's audit manager also to allocate resources.

Did your organization raise a concern of the Saturday visit ?

normzone

I expressed my concern but the auditor claimed a full schedule at that time. Perhaps I should ask the CB audit manager for a weekday reschedule.

Big Jim

Not all Majors require a revisit. You should have a conversation directly with your certification body as to if a revisit is needed.

One of my clients recently told me of a scam that his CB auditor tried to pull on him concerning this exact situation. Apparently the auditor went out of his way to find Majors, appropriately or not, and then get a revisit purely to build up his billing time (his earnings). A phone call to the CB cleared it up.

I don't know if you are caught up in the same scam, but a call to your CB is in order.

The revisit, if needed, doesn't need to be by the same auditor if his schedule will not accommodate it. The CB can send another auditor.

This whole thing stinks like a rotting fish. If I haven't emphasized it enough, call your CB.

normzone

I just submitted the customer satisfaction survey form, and I addressed this issue. I'll give them a day to contact me and then I'll follow up on it by phone / email.

I have never had an auditor require a revisit before. I can see it from a revenue standpoint but I've always just made my corrections and had the auditor verify effectiveness at the next audit.

J

JaneB

Good - because talking directly with CB is definitely indicated.
An auditor may decide that a return visit is required, for example if 'desktop verification' would not be adequate, so it's.not unheard of. What is strange is that he says this is Policy - I'd certainly want to check if that is true!
So yes, it can happen. But I've never ever heard of a Saturday visit. And it doesn't have to be the same auditor either. Definitely smells a bit fishy.

Randy

Super Moderator
Has anyone encountered this requirement? Oh heck yeah, I've done ton's of revisits just like the one described and the requirement most likely is in the Conditions of Contact for the certificate....It's not a secret or anything sneaky boys and girls

Also for the particular CB I normally work for it is required that the opening meeting cover such eventualities....Again no secret

If the Major is for a strictly "paper" problem then yeah, sure they can be done off site, but if it's something like a production or high risk problem then it's an onsite visit....Also normally not a secret

The justification for revisits of a CB would be for them to meet ISO 17021:2011 section/clause 9.6 requirements

Big Jim

Two reasons this really sounds fishy.

1st, I have encountered this exact situation, including the so called need for a Saturday visit.

2nd, how is the auditor going to take care of anything other than a paperwork issue on a Saturday when there is no production taking place?

J

JaneB

Agree with you, Randy, it happens.
This situation isn't necessarily fishy, but the Saturday is a bit odd.

I recently had a client whose auditor insisted on returning for a 1/2 day audit, though had told them previously it would only be via verification of evidence submitted remotely.

Anyway, the important thing here is for the person to speak to their CB and clarify. Until then, we're all just speculating.

dsheaffe

Involved In Discussions
Just in case the other posters haven't highlighted it enough - talk to your CB to get clarification. :deadhorse:

While I have never been in a position where an Auditor has found a major and required a follow-up visit, it is certainly something that all auditors (and their CB's) I have dealt with have made clear up front during an entry meeting that if they find a major, then a follow-up visit may be warranted to confirm actions. Again, have never heard of a Saturday.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Supplier Audit Report - Template for second party audit wanted Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
K Validation of new machine (second machine of the same type) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
M Quality checklist for opening a second location Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
Ajit Basrur Informational TÜV SÜD Becomes Second NB to be Designated Under EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Minitab - Factor Analysis: Label on second series of data for Biplot Using Minitab Software 4
U Internal auditing - Company employees or contract second party Internal Auditing 10
A ISO / IATF 16949 Requirements for Second Party Services IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
Sidney Vianna Informational ISO releases second edition of handbook on Integration of Management System Standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
K Is evidence of second party audits required for every supplier? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
J Supplier Assessment Questionnaire for Second-Party Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Second Party Audit - GM IATF 16949 CSR September 2017 General Auditing Discussions 0
W IATF 16949 Clause 8.4.2.4.1 Second Party Audits (Supplier Management) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 40
D IATF16949 Second Location Certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J Is it sufficient to send in my instruments for calibration every second year? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
T Document Review And Sign Off Second Person Review - FDA Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
C How to handle this Inspection conflict? Second Shift Inspector? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
R Registrars offering to perform Second Party Audits - Have they failed their role? Registrars and Notified Bodies 105
E Korean GMP Guideline updated to Second Revision - April 2014 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
somashekar Father of Elsmar Cove hits second SILVER Covegratulations 16
T CFDA issued second list of Class II devices exempt from clinical studies (10/11/13) China Medical Device Regulations 4
B Need help in adding second location to FDA Registration Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
R To Find Out Second Order Model from First Order Factorial Design (DOE) Using Minitab Software 9
N English as a Second Language - English problems with Legal Terms Contract Review Process 2
J Basic Dimension Chaining - Second hole has a basic dimension from the first hole Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
P WHO's Second Global Forum on Medical Devices ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 2
Marc Stuxnet: The Curious Incident of the Second Certificate After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
E Interview Questions to ask a Job Applicant on a Second Interview Career and Occupation Discussions 1
N Second Party (Supplier) Audit - Audit Schedule and Audit Report Template/Format General Auditing Discussions 3
A Second Source for a similar Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
H Second Quality Engineer Position Interview - What should I brush up on? Career and Occupation Discussions 6
C Bringing a Second Office Location into Registration Scope ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 12
H How the 50 Second Rule for an Operation was Derived Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
V Are Customer Specific Requirements applied to the second tier suppliers Customer and Company Specific Requirements 14
P ISO 9001 certified by second party ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 32
L Preparation for the second year external audit. General Auditing Discussions 8
C Changing ISO 9001 registrars (second triennial)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
E Hypothesis Test - Determining if a second wash is worth performing Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
S Second party audits - Supplier audits or product audits? Internal Auditing 7
C Calculate DPPM/PPM for second yield rework Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
Jim Wynne GM Posts $15.5 Billion Second-Quarter Loss World News 0
S Second edition of the AIAG APQP manual is available APQP and PPAP 7
P Dealing with Second Party Audits Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
quality1 CAR Explanation for English as A Second Language (ESL) Employees Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
C How Will Be The Second Audit Compared To First Certification Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Sidney Vianna A T1 line is so 2004 - Old lady surfing Web at 40 gigabits-per-second After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
M TUV NCR 1 - Internal Audit did not audit the second shift Internal Auditing 26
Marc Managing Globalization: The Global Quest for a Second Passport Immigration and Expatriate Topics 8
T Second Tier Laboratory Requirements for TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Marc Intel-Macs owners now have an official second OS option - Windows XP After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 10
Sidney Vianna English as a second language Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12