Secondary Circuits, Voltage Test and Clearance/Creepage

A

antonoia

Hi All, I would like to hear your opinions and help me to clarify some doubts of some 60601-1 clauses.
We have a device, class 2 metallic enclosure with a PSU already having 2MOOP, secondary at 12Vdc that goes to some internal circuits.
According clause 8.9.1.12, where a secondary is not earthed and derived from Supply Mains, the circuit shall be subjected to the requirements for primary circuit in table 13 and 14. Clause 8.9.1.12 also states ?a secondary circuit derived from a supply mains will normally be overvoltage category I according to IEC 60664-1 if the mains part is overvoltage category II?. Table 13 starts with a voltage of 210V dc, would I consider this for my small 12 Vdc towards accessible parts? If my understanding is correct , should I select the value form the column ? Nominal mains Voltage <150V?? ( even I still have a mains of 240Vac) but just because this column contains ?(Mains transient Voltage 1500V)? ? In this case I should provide 2mm (2MOOP overvoltage cat.II). Am I correct?
And for the test voltage according table 6 seems will not be required between my secondary circuit of 12Vdc inside the device and the accessible parts. Table 6 says no test for voltage below 60Vdc, but table 7 provides test voltage also for 34Vdc, I did not understand here, one table says no test for voltage below 60Vdc while the other one expects test for 34Vdc. Could you please light up me from the darkness around this controversy? What is the minimum values for a dc so will not be required test for protection from secondary circuits?
I will like also to talk about clause 8.4.2 ?Accessible parts and applied parts? since seems to fall on same arguments of above. Here are given limit values of 60Vdc and 42.4Vp, same starting values of table 6. Are this two clause is some way related? For my understandings after all see clause 8.1, we can have a device that have high voltage on accessible parts, clearance and creepage not satisfying requirements, important are leakage currents are whiting the give limits? Is all about the requirement of 60601-1 ? leakage currents? Thank you and sorry for been so dispersive!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
N

NickM

Just some quick feedback on your post on why you probably are not getting any responses. Need to be more concise and not ask so many questions. I got lost very quickly reading your post and because of that, I did not want to spend all the time needed to figure out your situation and then have to write a long response to answer all your questions. Most people are willing to help if they can provide quick answers. Thus, I would suggest, updating your post to be more clear and concise. Sorry, I know this doesn't help answer your questions but thought it might be helpful for you and others that may be looking for assistance.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Secondary circuits and protective earth IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
E IEC 60601 subclause 8.9.1.12 - Earthed secondary circuits IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
D The necessity of a SECONDARY CIRCUITS in ME EQUIPMENT (IEC 60601-1) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
I Connection of Secondary Circuits to Medical Weight Scale Enclosure IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
M IATF 16949 8.5.1.3 Verification of job set-ups - Do we need secondary check? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
M MDR - Packaging - Secondary Medical Device Boxes EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Ahang Separation between secondary circuit and accessible parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
S Lot assignment for secondary reference standard - Pharmaceuticals Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
G Regulatory requirements for secondary packages in terms of label content Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
Rameshwar25 What is primary and secondary functions of a part? FMEA and Control Plans 4
J Medical Device Electronics - Secondary to output isolation for 1 MOPP IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
shimonv Safety requirements for secondary cells and batteries IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
P Secondary packaging operations in medical device facility Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
T Primary & Secondary Inspection Definitions - Incoming, In-process & Final Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
H Secondary button cells (LIR2540) in medical products Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
A Insulation between Secondary Accessible Parts and Earth IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
S How to determine the Air Clearance for Floated Secondary Circuit IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
B In-Process Sampling Plan for a Secondary Package Adjustment Process Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
G Creepage and Clearance Distance for MOOP on Secondary Circuit IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
V External power supply with reinforced insulation as a simple secondary circuit? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
J Frequency of Re-Testing Working Standards (Secondary Reference Standard) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
S Heating Test Failed - Capacitor in secondary exceed its rated temperature IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
G Primary vs. Secondary Standards - Are secondary standards acceptable for calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
N Medical Device Secondary Packaging Facility - Regulatory Compliance Requirements? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
ScottK Validation of SAP - Secondary Packaging Manufacturer Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
ScottK MDD (Medical Device Directive) and Secondary Packaging EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J GDT True Position Secondary Callout Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
bgot62 Secondary Operations and an uncontrolled document in the warehouse ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
elkel What are the Requirements for Secondary Containment? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 16
B Requirement for Secondary Containment of Stored Chemicals Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 14
J Supplier Satisfaction/Cooperation - Suppliers who provide secondary operations Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
Marc Secondary (Some Humor from 2004ish) TOS - Circa 2004/2005 Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 2
J How many secondary/supporting documents will be associated with the new DIS version? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Applicability of IEC 60950-1 Table K2 - Minimum clearances between circuits Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
D Creepage and Clearance for high voltage low energy circuits IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
R Separation of Network Port from other Circuits including Patient Circuit IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
W Patient Circuits / Patient Connection / Applied Parts - Medical Device Definitions IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
D Integrated Circuits Stress Qualification Tests Accredited Laboratory Needed! General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
N IEC 60601-1-1 - Stress test, reference voltage IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
B IEC 61010-1 - Voltage / Dielectric strength tests IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
J Production Line Test Brasil - High Voltage Dielectric Strenght Test Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
L Voltage fluctuation (±10%) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
S High voltage testing - ISO 17025 - 7.2.2 Validation of methods and 7.3 Sampling ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
B Operator protection - When to apply table 7, Dielectric strength test voltage IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
B How to apply external voltage to SIP/SOP IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
J Application of mains voltage on SIP/SOP connectors of medical device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Define voltage and frequency to perform tests 61010-1 and 61326-1 for CE certification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M Applicability of Means of Protection, working voltage in an Automated External Defibrillator IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
T IEC60601-1: Isolation for an applied part with working voltage of 1500Vp. IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
V 2MOP of mains voltage is required between 2nd Circuity and Accessible parts? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8