Section 7.8.4 Specific requirements for calibration certificates

eternal_atlas

Involved In Discussions
  1. Calibration Reports shall include:
    1. If there is a customer request, the measurement uncertainty of the measured results shall be presented in the same units as that of the measure or in a term relative to the measure.

eternal_atlas

Involved In Discussions
  1. Calibration Reports shall include:
    1. If there is a customer request, the measurement uncertainty of the measured results shall be presented in the same units as that of the measure or in a term relative to the measure.
Can I report uncertainty on the calibration certificate only if it is a customer request? if it is mandate for all calibration, it is consuming our man-hours. Say for example: we have to do 3 times calibration (up and down) for pressure gauge.

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
Trusted
I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but 17025 says nothing like that.

What it does say is:
7.8.1.3 When agreed with the customer, the results may be reported in a simplified way. Any
information listed in 7.8.2 to 7.8.7 that is not reported to the customer shall be readily available.

and that calibration certificates shall include:

7.8.4.1 a) the measurement uncertainty of the measurement result presented in the same unit as that of the
measurand or in a term relative to the measurand (e.g. percent);
NOTE: According to ISO/IEC Guide 99, a measurement result is generally expressed as a single measured
quantity value including unit of measurement and a measurement uncertainty.

This means that the requirements of 17025 as to what is to be included on the calibration reports can be "simplified" when the customer agrees to it. So if a customer says they do not want uncertainties you are not required to report them - but you must still record everything that 17025 requires. That means you will still have to calculate the uncertainties and record them.

I don't know why a customer would request, and pay for, an accredited calibration and not want the measurement uncertainties. You must have them in order to maintain measurement traceability.

Plus, if you are testing the same points up and down on your calibration the uncertainties remain the same, so what is consuming the extra time?