Seeking advice about what I have to do before we're ready for a certification audit

A

Allie

I am with a company that is just getting going. We are in the prototype phase right now with Process Sign Off (DDC) in April 2003. We will be going to full production in Feb 2004. After reading the quality objectives just handed to me, I see there is a timeline of 3rd quarter for implementation of TS2 (this is my job). IMO, I don't think this is feasable. Can I prove my quality system is functional without actually seeing it in use? My plan was to implement a rough system now(how I would like it to work),go for the preassessment, wait for production to start, audit the system then, make my changes and then hopefully I will be ready to go for the Big Audit.
I guess my question is, would I be in the right to go to the powers that be and say that implementation by the end of this year is an unrealistic goal?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Just to make things clear, I see a difference between implementation and registration. Could you have a system implemented by the end of 3QTR? Perhaps. Could you be registered by then? Probably not. My advice is to implement what you can and roll out the rest once you begin production. You can have everything you know/anticipate in the implementation, then make adjustments as the situation dictates.

Some registrars might register you before production, but I probably wouldn't even try.

A

Allie

They are looking for certification. Implementation won't be a problem. Sorry for the confusion. I was just wondering if anyone else out there was in this boat and wondering if I was being narrow minded about thinking that certification before production was not attainable.

T

tomvehoski

I have a client in a similar situation right now. They were never certified, working on QS, when their building burned down last year. They lost just about everything.

I started setting up a TS 16949: 2002 system even before they had any equipment in place. They just started running their first part now (months behind the original schedule). Their focus is still on getting production up and running before we "fully" implement the system, but some parts, such as corrective action, PPAP, etc. have already caught on in the start-up phase.

They are currently not direct to the big-3, so there is not a ton of pressure for TS right now. Some of their customers have mandated by the end of 2003 and they are able to get waivers for now from other customers. I expect to be able to have them registered by March.

I am also working with another startup company. We just got their headquarters ISO 9001: 2000 registered for containerization and freight logistics management. They are planning on a start-up sequencing/assembly facility down south to be up and running the first quarter of 2004. GM mandated that they have 16949 within six months of production start.

I doubt any registrar would certify you without ANY production activities for full objective evidence. If you have not made a part, how can they review your inspection, material control, nonconformance, and other systems? If you can show that your prototype activities will operate the same as your normal production, you can probably get by. I have worked with many registrars/auditors that will look at a very limited production capacity for special circumstances like yours. Make sure you point all of this out to registrars when you first contact them and get their opinions.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Seeking advice regarding use of off-the-shelf (OTS) batteries Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
J Seeking advice on how to handle a Special Process Nonconformance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
S Zyglo Fluorescent Dye for Leak Testing - Sloooooow acting - Seeking advice Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
B Seeking advice on Recurring Findings with Different Causes Internal Auditing 13
smryan Analytical Scale - Seeking brand and buying advice General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
G Seeking advice on Display norms of Quality Policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
smryan Seeking advice for statistical data that will be worthwhile Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 29
N STED vs. CE /FDA etc - Seeking advice ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D How to Benchmark? Is Benchmarking of any value? Seeking advice Benchmarking 34
A Linearity and Bias Study - Bias Study fails - Seeking advice Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
A Warehouse Internal Audit - Seeking Tips and Advice Internal Auditing 17
G Slow electronic documentation system - Seeking advice Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
O Vigilance System - Seeking example Procedure and Implementation Advice ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
P Supplier Performance Issue - Seeking Advice Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
G Starting A New Job - Seeking good advice for me as I walk in the door Career and Occupation Discussions 7
J I'm Back - Working From Home - Seeking Advice and Suggestions Career and Occupation Discussions 15
S APQP Timetable - The stage to producing a sample - Seeking Advice IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
H NCR (Nonconformance Report) - External customer - Seeking Advice Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
S Software Validation Training - Medical Devices - Seeking advice on outside trainers Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
T Developing TS-16949 Internal Audit Schedule - Seeking Example and Advice Internal Auditing 9
A Seeking GR&R study advice - Batch Cycle Time Reduction in Lead Refinery Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
C How to become a good SQA (Supplier Quality Engineer) - Seeking advice and resources Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
E Software Freeware write in ASP for Quality System - Seeking advice Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
U AS9100 Documentation structure and details - Seeking Advice Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
K Transition from ISO9001-2000 to TS16494 - Small Business Seeking Advice and Help IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
F Project Management book - Seeking advice and recommendations Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
G 8.1.2 - Knowledge of basic statistical concepts - Seeking Training Advice Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
A GM's GP-12 Training - Seeking advice on training providers Customer and Company Specific Requirements 7
Q My company needs a new Quality Policy - Seeking Advice ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
N Seeking Advice on Manuals and Books on Implementing a TS16949 system Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 3
H Flow chart to show the various paths a job can travel - Seeking Advice Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
L Seeking Advice on Starting a Consulting Service Consultants and Consulting 17
P Seeking Training Advice: Cycle Counting Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
Sean Kelley Contingency Plans - Seeking Example and Advice QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 11
J Seeking: FMEA (Failure Modes Effects Analysis) Training Advice Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
S TS 16949 Internal Audit Scheduling - Seeking Advice Internal Auditing 10
E Terminated - Job Seeking Advice and Discussion - Over 200 Posts with Advice Career and Occupation Discussions 204
I FMEA - DFMEA Software - Seeking Advice Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
M Design for Manufacturability (DFM) Software - Seeking advice Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
J Seeking Advice - Effective QMS Software for Controlling Audits, Documents etc.? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 19
P Seeking advice regarding missing and cross threaded bolts Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
M FMEA and Control Plan Software - Seeking advice Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 12
W Seeking Guidance Verification Test Strategy for Class B Medical Devices IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
A ISMS - Seeking VAPT Consultant Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
M Medical Device Directive - Seeking common nonconformance write up scenarios CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
S Seeking efficient method to manage install base data Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
K Seeking ISO 13485 Registrar Recommendations Registrars and Notified Bodies 15
R Tapping problems - 3/8" hot roll pickled & oiled steel - seeking expertise Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
S Responsibilities between government owner and private subcontractor of a power plant seeking ISO 9001 certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
B Seeking for an example or a template of a Business Plan Service Industry Specific Topics 3