Seeking advice on how to handle a Special Process Nonconformance

J

Jason PCSwitches

Here's the scoop:

A w/o was brought to my attention with a sequence entitled "Heat Treat" on it. Knowing we don't & can't do any form of heat treatment in-house I investigated. What I found is an auditors worst nightmare, only surpassed by the reaction from management.

To start, the oven they were planning to conduct the process in is not calibrated nor do we have the means to do any form of verification. After collecting evidence and visiting the Nadcap/PRI site (knowing what I would come-up against) I brought this to the attention of our engineering director (whom is also the quality director & management rep.(though I actually act as the MR-he just has the title)).

He told me he would instruct the engineer to change the header to "Stress-Relief" (I knew this was coming). I expressed that this would still not suffice on several levels. 1st - Stress-Relief is a form of heat treating & 2nd you do not have a method of control or verification. He vehemently argued that stress-relief is not heat treating, which I produced several documents showing it was in fact under the umbrella of heat treating. This was like a jet shooting over his head.

After more debate, and the standard we have always done this spiel, he concluded that I should let this go, to which I replied no, this is a major issue. I even showed a p/o in which a customer eludes that any special processing must be done by a Nadcap certified supplier. Not understanding the significance I further explained, hypothetically, what would happen if a major customer or CB audit discovered this (product recall, economic impacts, etc.) - mine as well been talking to the wall.

Results - he will calibrate the oven and that's it. Even though we could send the parts down the street, spend about $100, and get them back the next day having nothing to be concerned about - they are going to go ahead with the process and I was told to back off. Being that this is the MR (my boss) and going over his head will more than likely only result in problems for me, what do you suggest (besides leaving) I do to A. cover my a$$ & B. document this so I have records of an attempt to address this if it does in fact come up down the road.

Note: We are not a small organization & have been AS certified for some time

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Re: Seeking advice on how to handle a Special Process N/C

What exactly are the customer requirements for this operation, other than a blank clause that any "special process" must be done in a Nadcap approved source? If you were to outsource this heat treat stress relief operation, you would need much more than simply state "stress relief" in the PO. What are/is the process specification? temperature/time profile? is the process validated? I suspect that you have to dig into the requirements coming from the customer to understand exactly what needs to be done.

Last edited:

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Re: Seeking advice on how to handle a Special Process N/C

Hi Jason,

I do not have any actionable advice; but I do have a company structure observation.

Although a small company, placing responsibilty for quality with the head of engineering etc, in my humble & slightly informed opinion invites such dilemmas.

How can he or she answer to two or three different masters; and at times divergent interests?

From my earliest Q.E. post graduation experiences, this was verbotten!!

Regards,
Marty

"Morals Are For Mere Humans; Not For Gods or Wall Street Wizards"

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Here's the scoop:

A w/o was brought to my attention with a sequence entitled "Heat Treat" on it. Knowing we don't & can't do any form of heat treatment in-house I investigated. What I found is an auditors worst nightmare, only surpassed by the reaction from management.

To start, the oven they were planning to conduct the process in is not calibrated nor do we have the means to do any form of verification. After collecting evidence and visiting the Nadcap/PRI site (knowing what I would come-up against) I brought this to the attention of our engineering director (whom is also the quality director & management rep.(though I actually act as the MR-he just has the title)).

He told me he would instruct the engineer to change the header to "Stress-Relief" (I knew this was coming). I expressed that this would still not suffice on several levels. 1st - Stress-Relief is a form of heat treating & 2nd you do not have a method of control or verification. He vehemently argued that stress-relief is not heat treating, which I produced several documents showing it was in fact under the umbrella of heat treating. This was like a jet shooting over his head.

After more debate, and the standard we have always done this spiel, he concluded that I should let this go, to which I replied no, this is a major issue. I even showed a p/o in which a customer eludes that any special processing must be done by a Nadcap certified supplier. Not understanding the significance I further explained, hypothetically, what would happen if a major customer or CB audit discovered this (product recall, economic impacts, etc.) - mine as well been talking to the wall.

Results - he will calibrate the oven and that's it. Even though we could send the parts down the street, spend about $100, and get them back the next day having nothing to be concerned about - they are going to go ahead with the process and I was told to back off. Being that this is the MR (my boss) and going over his head will more than likely only result in problems for me, what do you suggest (besides leaving) I do to A. cover my a$$ & B. document this so I have records of an attempt to address this if it does in fact come up down the road.

Note: We are not a small organization & have been AS certified for some time
Your first mistake, imo, was in doing this verbally. These conversations should always take place via e-mail, so at the least you can document the fact that you brought the thing to your boss's attention. It can also be a good idea to copy other people who might be interested.

Sidney has given good advice insofar as understanding the requirements is concerned, but in any event you've done your part. You notified your boss, expressed concern, and he made the decision.

I don't know what the risks are in terms of the heat treating operation not being performed correctly. If the possibility exists that airplanes could fall out of the sky, your decisions at this point might be different than they would be if it's just the documentation you're concerned about.

J

Jason PCSwitches

This particular customer does not have any specific requirements related to special processing, but that's not the point. Most of our customers (which are big ones) do though & these components also go into many other products we produce and can be considered critical components. The specifics (time/temp. etc.) are listed on the drawings, we do not falter in that area, it's the fact that the oven is not calibrated and cannot be controlled/verified. We have a hardness tester, but IMHO it doesn't matter at this point. If the p/o doesn't specify, I'm OK with it being done in-house as long as the process is controlled. If the p/o specifies otherwise, it must either be discussed prior to acceptance or sent out.

I always email, which I did 1st. However this person will not get around to it for a day or two, then he may not even approach for discussion. Additionally there was no time, I stopped the process as the tech was literally opening the oven. So, I went to him.

J

Jason PCSwitches

OK, let me put this in more simple terms as I may not have explained it as such:

You've identified a major problem, management (M.R) will not properly address it, upper management more than likely will take the same angle, what do you do??

Though this is a real situation, I'm primarily interested in how others handle similar events. Everything is fairly laid out in my 2 previous posts if you need details.

J

Jason PCSwitches

Sidney and Jim have good feedback. My main question is how will the process be validated?
This is my point (one of them at least), which not to seem rude, does not address my ??.

To save time, I've reviewed ALL the requirements, p/o, contract, process specs, drawings etc. Everything is good - except for the plan of execution.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
OK, let me put this in more simple terms as I may not have explained it as such:

You've identified a major problem, management (M.R) will not properly address it, upper management more than likely will take the same angle, what do you do??

Though this is a real situation, I'm primarily interested in how others handle similar events. Everything is fairly laid out in my 2 previous posts if you need details.
Not to split hairs and no disrespect intended, but you've characterized a problem as "major," which is a relative term. It doesn't seem to be major to your boss or his. Perhaps at some point in the future you'll be vindicated, but it seems it will take a bad occurrence to make that happen. If this is the first time that you've given someone wise counsel and been ignored or overruled, I promise you it won't be the last. You've done your job, in my view, which was to lead the horse to the water. Whether it drinks or not is not something you can control.

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
This is my point (one of them at least), which not to seem rude, does not address my ??.
No offense taken. I didn't know if that had already been addressed.

Steven Covey's Habit #5: Seek first to understand, then to be understood. "We often prescribe before making a proper diagnosis when communicating. We should first take the time to deeply understand the problems presented to us."
...what do you suggest (besides leaving) I do to A. cover my a$$ & B. document this so I have records of an attempt to address this if it does in fact come up down the road.
Given the question you're asking, my answer would be "all of the above."

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Seeking advice regarding use of off-the-shelf (OTS) batteries Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
S Zyglo Fluorescent Dye for Leak Testing - Sloooooow acting - Seeking advice Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
B Seeking advice on Recurring Findings with Different Causes Internal Auditing 13
smryan Analytical Scale - Seeking brand and buying advice General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
G Seeking advice on Display norms of Quality Policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
smryan Seeking advice for statistical data that will be worthwhile Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 29
N STED vs. CE /FDA etc - Seeking advice ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D How to Benchmark? Is Benchmarking of any value? Seeking advice Benchmarking 34
A Linearity and Bias Study - Bias Study fails - Seeking advice Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
A Warehouse Internal Audit - Seeking Tips and Advice Internal Auditing 17
G Slow electronic documentation system - Seeking advice Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
O Vigilance System - Seeking example Procedure and Implementation Advice ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
P Supplier Performance Issue - Seeking Advice Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
G Starting A New Job - Seeking good advice for me as I walk in the door Career and Occupation Discussions 7
J I'm Back - Working From Home - Seeking Advice and Suggestions Career and Occupation Discussions 15
S APQP Timetable - The stage to producing a sample - Seeking Advice IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
H NCR (Nonconformance Report) - External customer - Seeking Advice Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
S Software Validation Training - Medical Devices - Seeking advice on outside trainers Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
T Developing TS-16949 Internal Audit Schedule - Seeking Example and Advice Internal Auditing 9
A Seeking GR&R study advice - Batch Cycle Time Reduction in Lead Refinery Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
C How to become a good SQA (Supplier Quality Engineer) - Seeking advice and resources Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
E Software Freeware write in ASP for Quality System - Seeking advice Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
U AS9100 Documentation structure and details - Seeking Advice Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
K Transition from ISO9001-2000 to TS16494 - Small Business Seeking Advice and Help IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
F Project Management book - Seeking advice and recommendations Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
G 8.1.2 - Knowledge of basic statistical concepts - Seeking Training Advice Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
A GM's GP-12 Training - Seeking advice on training providers Customer and Company Specific Requirements 7
Q My company needs a new Quality Policy - Seeking Advice ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
N Seeking Advice on Manuals and Books on Implementing a TS16949 system Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 3
H Flow chart to show the various paths a job can travel - Seeking Advice Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
L Seeking Advice on Starting a Consulting Service Consultants and Consulting 17
P Seeking Training Advice: Cycle Counting Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
S Contingency Plans - Seeking Example and Advice QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 11
J Seeking: FMEA (Failure Modes Effects Analysis) Training Advice Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
S TS 16949 Internal Audit Scheduling - Seeking Advice Internal Auditing 10
A Seeking advice about what I have to do before we're ready for a certification audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
E Terminated - Job Seeking Advice and Discussion - Over 200 Posts with Advice Career and Occupation Discussions 204
I FMEA - DFMEA Software - Seeking Advice Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
M Design for Manufacturability (DFM) Software - Seeking advice Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
J Seeking Advice - Effective QMS Software for Controlling Audits, Documents etc.? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 19
P Seeking advice regarding missing and cross threaded bolts Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
M FMEA and Control Plan Software - Seeking advice Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 12
normhowe Seeking a De Novo Consultant Paid Consulting, Training and Services 7
H SOP Template for seeking regulatory clearance - MDSAP Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
W Seeking Guidance Verification Test Strategy for Class B Medical Devices IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
A ISMS - Seeking VAPT Consultant Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
M Medical Device Directive - Seeking common nonconformance write up scenarios CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
silentmonkey Seeking efficient method to manage install base data Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
K Seeking ISO 13485 Registrar Recommendations Registrars and Notified Bodies 15
R Tapping problems - 3/8" hot roll pickled & oiled steel - seeking expertise Manufacturing and Related Processes 15