Seeking advice regarding use of off-the-shelf (OTS) batteries

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
I'm wondering if anyone has any advice from experience regarding supplying off-the-shelf (OTS) batteries with a medical device. For example devices powered by replaceable AA, 9V, or coin-cells.

From a design & risk standpoint, I presume you'd want to at least consider the variety of possible chemistries, and whether batteries are rechargeable or not. Such considerations would be part of the design/risk documentation, and any minimum specifications relayed to the user in accompanying documents. Assume, however, that they are all compatible (device can accept voltage variations due to different chemistries) - the only difference being the capacity mileage you'd get, and that this doesn't result in any hazardous situation.

I'm wondering more about any legal/regulatory considerations. For example, if the device is powered by a standard 9V, is it permissible to simply purchase an off-the-shelf brand-name 9V, and include it with the device?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
We worked on a device years ago that was powered by OTS batteries. If I recall, I think use of rechargeable batteries was considered in risk analysis and the uncertainties around such batteries was sufficient to put a note in the IFU saying rechargeable batteries shouldn't be used. No specific hazard was identified but they felt it might lead to a bad user experience.

Pretty sure they didn't deliver the device with batteries but I don't know if it was for legal / regulatory reasons or cost.

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
...If I recall, I think use of rechargeable batteries was considered in risk analysis and the uncertainties around such batteries was sufficient to put a note in the IFU saying rechargeable batteries shouldn't be used. No specific hazard was identified but they felt it might lead to a bad user experience.
Thanks for the input @yodon. I presume the uncertainties just related to capacity? i.e. uncertainty in expected mileage from batteries that have been recharged a lot versus a fresh primary battery. How about specifying battery chemistry for the non-rechargeables? Did you also deem it necessary to specify Alkaline, Zinc-Carbon, or Li-FeS2?

In my experience these days most battery-operated (consumer) devices often come with an initial set of batteries, and as a consumer I certainly appreciate it when they do. As such, it be nice to toss in an OTS set into the package....but again, I'm not sure if there are any regulatory or legal hurdles to this practice. :unsure:

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Yes, uncertainties due to capacity, but also there was some question of spikes / surges when rechargeable batteries neared depletion.

They didn't test with anything but alkaline so they only recommended those in the IFU. (Maybe even going so far as to saying the device performance has not been evaluated with other battery types; basically trying to absolve themselves.) This was > 10 years ago so I don't know how well all that would fly these days.

Batteries can vary in size and output. I would recommend a specification for your OTS batteries and verification testing at the upper and lower limits of the specified voltage, etc. Through experience, the size of a AA battery in the US can be different than the size of one manufactured elsewhere. If the battery box dimensions are too tight, you could run into issues. Also, you should have a battery indicator so that it shows the battery as "dead" if it does not have enough remaining power to operate your device - meaning, what risk is associated with the device functioning at a subpar level with a low battery? If rechargables are not to be used, state that explicitly in the IFU.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Seeking advice regarding missing and cross threaded bolts Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
J Seeking advice on how to handle a Special Process Nonconformance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
S Zyglo Fluorescent Dye for Leak Testing - Sloooooow acting - Seeking advice Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
B Seeking advice on Recurring Findings with Different Causes Internal Auditing 13
smryan Analytical Scale - Seeking brand and buying advice General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
G Seeking advice on Display norms of Quality Policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
smryan Seeking advice for statistical data that will be worthwhile Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 29
N STED vs. CE /FDA etc - Seeking advice ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D How to Benchmark? Is Benchmarking of any value? Seeking advice Benchmarking 34
A Linearity and Bias Study - Bias Study fails - Seeking advice Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
A Warehouse Internal Audit - Seeking Tips and Advice Internal Auditing 17
G Slow electronic documentation system - Seeking advice Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
O Vigilance System - Seeking example Procedure and Implementation Advice ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
P Supplier Performance Issue - Seeking Advice Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
G Starting A New Job - Seeking good advice for me as I walk in the door Career and Occupation Discussions 7
J I'm Back - Working From Home - Seeking Advice and Suggestions Career and Occupation Discussions 15
S APQP Timetable - The stage to producing a sample - Seeking Advice IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
H NCR (Nonconformance Report) - External customer - Seeking Advice Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
S Software Validation Training - Medical Devices - Seeking advice on outside trainers Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
T Developing TS-16949 Internal Audit Schedule - Seeking Example and Advice Internal Auditing 9
A Seeking GR&R study advice - Batch Cycle Time Reduction in Lead Refinery Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
C How to become a good SQA (Supplier Quality Engineer) - Seeking advice and resources Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
E Software Freeware write in ASP for Quality System - Seeking advice Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
U AS9100 Documentation structure and details - Seeking Advice Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
K Transition from ISO9001-2000 to TS16494 - Small Business Seeking Advice and Help IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
F Project Management book - Seeking advice and recommendations Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
G 8.1.2 - Knowledge of basic statistical concepts - Seeking Training Advice Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
A GM's GP-12 Training - Seeking advice on training providers Customer and Company Specific Requirements 7
Q My company needs a new Quality Policy - Seeking Advice ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
N Seeking Advice on Manuals and Books on Implementing a TS16949 system Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 3
H Flow chart to show the various paths a job can travel - Seeking Advice Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
L Seeking Advice on Starting a Consulting Service Consultants and Consulting 17
P Seeking Training Advice: Cycle Counting Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
Sean Kelley Contingency Plans - Seeking Example and Advice QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 11
J Seeking: FMEA (Failure Modes Effects Analysis) Training Advice Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
S TS 16949 Internal Audit Scheduling - Seeking Advice Internal Auditing 10
A Seeking advice about what I have to do before we're ready for a certification audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
E Terminated - Job Seeking Advice and Discussion - Over 200 Posts with Advice Career and Occupation Discussions 204
I FMEA - DFMEA Software - Seeking Advice Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
M Design for Manufacturability (DFM) Software - Seeking advice Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
J Seeking Advice - Effective QMS Software for Controlling Audits, Documents etc.? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 19
M FMEA and Control Plan Software - Seeking advice Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 12
W Seeking Guidance Verification Test Strategy for Class B Medical Devices IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
A ISMS - Seeking VAPT Consultant Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
M Medical Device Directive - Seeking common nonconformance write up scenarios CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
S Seeking efficient method to manage install base data Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
K Seeking ISO 13485 Registrar Recommendations Registrars and Notified Bodies 15
R Tapping problems - 3/8" hot roll pickled & oiled steel - seeking expertise Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
S Responsibilities between government owner and private subcontractor of a power plant seeking ISO 9001 certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
B Seeking for an example or a template of a Business Plan Service Industry Specific Topics 3