Seeking: FMEA (Failure Modes Effects Analysis) Training Advice

J

JaySturgeon

FMEA Training

Can anyone recommend a good training program for FMEA. It would be nice if it was in the Midwest and reasonably priced.

Appreciate all input.

Thanks Jay

D

db

JaySturgeon said:
Can anyone recommend a good training program for FMEA. It would be nice if it was in the Midwest and reasonably priced.

Appreciate all input.

Thanks Jay

I know it's been a while, but you might want to try The Right Place in GR. If my MI geography serves me correctly, you are on the west side.

T

tomvehoski

The Eastern Michigan Center for Quality (Ypsilanti) has some good training. I have not been to their FMEA course, but took QOS/BOS and DOE there and was impressed. Prices are reasonable, plus they throw in a great lunch and snacks all day. It looks like they have a couple courses - 2 day and 3 day. www.centerforquality.org

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

I've been through Ford's training in Dearborn, GM's training in Pontiac, ASQ's training (wherever that was :rolleyes: ) and a couple of Tier 1 customers' training courses. I wasn't impressed with any of them.

Don't want to sound like an advertisement, but I finally had some training from HARPCO, Inc. (Wixom, MI ?) that made sense of it all. Richard Harpster has a background with Ford yet has simplified the jargon so you don't get caught up in what's a Mode or a Cause, etc. Even though we ended up buying their software (not the "user-friendliest") his spin on the FMEA has us now using an effective tool instead of filling out paperwork.

Bill

Added: My last "training" on FMEA methodology (except here at the Cove) was over 4 years ago. Perhaps the others I mentioned have improved somewhat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

qualitygoddess - 2010

FMEA training

If you already know something about FMEA, but are just looking for a little more information, JP Russell and Associates has a web-based self-directed learning series that includes FMEA on the www.asq.org site. It's really simple in scope, but you do have to complete a process FMEA that is then graded by a JP Russell expert. I got good feedback on my FMEA exercise from the person grading it; she was obviously well-educated on FMEA. You get some CEU's, too.

--Jodi

:agree1:

S

Sonjia

Fmea Cd-rom (aiag)

I am looking for a FMEA training tool and noticed that the AIAG has a CD-ROM available for $149. It teaches (as best a CD can) and has the "student" develop a DFMEA and a PFMEA and the software gives an assessment at the end. They say it takes 2 to 2.5 hours to complete.
Has anyone had any experience or knowledge of this course?
I would like to get some feedback on it before shelling out the $.
Thanks !!

Sonjia :thanks:

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

Sonjia

I've seen the advertisement but I haven't, nor do I know of anyone that has, tried it out.

As I mentioned earlier (see Post #4) I've been though many courses and my experience is based on a lot of trial and error from all of the courses I've been through (plus a lot of input from the Cove and various customer SQEs). I am in the process of putting together a basic training module for our company's "methodology" but won't be done for about another month or so. I'll be happy to share it when completed (probably in MindGenius or PowerPoint format).

S

Sonjia

Thanks Bill!
That would be great. If it's in PP, I could view it. If so, just let me know when it's ready.
I don't know the other s/w you mentioned.
:thanks:
Sonjia

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

Sonjia
Here is a "starting document" from a while ago. It's very "raw" and is basically just how we address each column of the PFMEA. I will be building/adding to this to arrive at something I think will work for our company (die cast, machine, assembly). My goal is to have a presentation and reference guide for our "newbie" engineers (and most of our "old salts" as well ;) ). If the finished product is of any use to anyone else, it will be published here.

Fellow Covers - Please give me any input you might have. I have revised my "ironclad" definitions - mostly from postings here. I will keep posting updates as I go.

Attachments

• PFMEA basics.doc
    27 KB · Views: 1,213
Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bigfoot

Sonjia said:
I am looking for a FMEA training tool and noticed that the AIAG has a CD-ROM available for $149. It teaches (as best a CD can) and has the "student" develop a DFMEA and a PFMEA and the software gives an assessment at the end. They say it takes 2 to 2.5 hours to complete.
Has anyone had any experience or knowledge of this course?
I would like to get some feedback on it before shelling out the $.
Thanks !!

Sonjia :thanks:

Sonja - I purchased the CD from AIAG and have worked through most of it. It is somewhat understating things to say it takes 2 to 2.5 hours to work through as it isn't the most user friendly bit of software, but it does a decent job instructing the user on developing the FMEA. IMHO It isn't a real good tool to use for teaching a Novice and would probably be best utilized in a setting where it could be facilitated by someone with a solid background in FMEA.

Top Bottom