Seeking Ideas: Raw Material Storage Process Failure Modes

A

Andrews

raw material

What should we address as the failure mode in raw material storage process " improper storage" or " bend / rust due to improper storage" ? This was something our FMEA team brainstormed for a long time and decided that "improper storage" is the failure and effect of failure is bend / rust. I thought of sharing this with the other forum users.
Is our decision correct?

Geoff Cotton

Quite Involved in Discussions
Need to know a little more about the process really, but I’ll toss a basic thought into the pond to get this started.

Potential Failure Mode = Rusty material

Potential Effect (s) = Material will not run in the machine. Paint will not adhere to the surface. etc. etc.

Potential Cause = Material gets damp due to improper storage.

A

Andrews

Raw material storage process involves the tagging of the material plus the colour coding and the oiling of raw materials once in 6 months to avoid rust.
The raw material is then issued to the machining operation/process.
If you want to know the full process , it is as follows
1. Machining - only forming
2. Drilling
3. thread rolling
and
4. Surface coating-zinc plating

By the way Geoff, why did you say the failure mode is "rusty material" instead of "improper storage"????

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

By the way Geoff, why did you say the failure mode is "rusty material" instead of "improper storage"????

I'm not going to try to answer for Geoff but....

As I would address it, a couple of the expected outputs of the storage processing step is to deliver "unrusty" and "unbent" parts to the next operation (two Failure Modes - can be measured on the product). One Potential Cause for each of these different Modes would be "Improper Storage" (can be measured in the process).

Bill

Top Bottom