Seeking: Process Flow Diagram Form - Format and Content

J

JMitchell

I'm implementing some PPAP type procedures at my current facility and am having trouble finding a good Process Flow Diagram form that seems useful. Any suggestions on format / content or can you point me to a good reference?

Thanks,

Jason Mitchell

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
Try searching the forums.
It depends on how much you want to spend. There is Visio or you can use tools in Word or Excel.

J

Jim Jakosh

We have used Visio but for most people, Excel is the easist way to go. Start out by titling the top line and put in all the person/departments responsible for action down the left side. Draw boxes within or across the boundaries of all those that participate in the function and type in the action taking place. Use the drawing arrows of the Drawing Toolbar to show the flow. Unfortuanately you don't have the diamond shape you have in Visio to denote a decision.
It is simple to get the point across.

A

Al Dyer

You might want to use a program from:

www.integralsolutions.com

They have what you are looking for and many extras upon that.

I guess it depends on your company requirements.

Anybody else with recomendations

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Originally posted by gpainter

Smart Draw is supposed to be good, easy to use and inexpensive. Less than $100 US
I have SmartDraw because a client wanted to use it. Visio locks you into MickeySoft and there is a per seat charge, I believe.

SmartDraw is one heck of a good, if not great, program. With SmartDraw you can do links, there are thousands of templates - and, well, I really like it. My client put together a series on their intranet - all their procedures are in it. Everything is linked - even forms are linked to the flow charts. It even integrates with Office programs as I remember. I highly recommend SmartDraw.

E Wall

Just Me!
Trusted Information Resource
Free Trial

I currently use visio but am evaluating other programs. I've come across the free 30-day trial of smartdraw but haven't started with it yet.
SmartDraw 30-Day Trial

Before my computer crashed I found a program I wanted to try, but then forgot the name (and of course, the crash lost the link I saved). I'd like to not have to drag/drop/connect everything mannually and had found one that allows you to enter the information in a table then creates the flowchart for you (with self-customization available). Does SmartDraw do this? I haven't checked to see yet. Anyone know of any other flowchart software that does?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I don't know. I can say I have watched the evolution of flow chart programs. I used to laugh at folks in the 1980's and early 1990's doing flow charts on peecees because Mac flowchart software was click and drag easy. At that time all the PC flow chart programs were as you're describing. Make a table and then when you 'distilled' the table it produced a flow chart. It was complicated and confusing. Things sure have changed...

I'm a version behind so I can't really say what SmartDraw does in the sense of tables. I'll take a look over the weekend. I think I have the 5.0 'professional' version and it was about 80 bucks a couple of years ago.

E

eckythump

:cool:
I have used allClear in the past for quickly drawing process flows. The tool converts script into diagrams easily and free text can then be put into the diagram wherever you need it.
The software was originally published by SPSS, but i believe it is now owned by Deans Hill
http://www.proquis.com/

Thanks for all the help and support available on this great site.

C

cncmarine

It comes down to how often and how much you are going to use the software.

If you are going to use the software on a dailiy basis or have a big project going on....Go with Visio.

Visio is hands down the best flow charting software going.

Its worth the money and it works great with all microsoft products

Top Bottom