Seeking Supplier Evaluation Database

H

Henriqued

Suppliers evaluation database

Does anyone have or know about a database (possibly in Access) which could be used for evaluation of suppliers/subcontractors?

Thanks in advance
Henrique

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Anton Ovsianko

Henrique,

If Access is enough,

Why not have you IT division develop an original database?
Data structure will be easy to work out, given you criteria used for supplier evaluation.

Regards,

Anton

C

Chris May

Henrique,

Before you throw some software at the problem, have you got a manual system that works??
Have you got that many suppliers??

As long as you have the quantity of suppliers to justify the database management, then fine.

If you have a manual system with your selection and evaluation criteria defined, then the easiest way would be to lay this out using Excel to generate your "table" and then using the Access wizard, import this table into Access.

It is not quite as easy as that and some refinements will be required, but you could be up and running within a couple of hours.

I have no real knowledge of database creation but even I can get what I require PDQ......so it cant be that difficult.

Give it a go..............

Regards,

Chris

M

M Greenaway

Henrique

As Chris has pointed out MS Access can pretty much do any database that you require.

I would personally recommend that anyone working in quality learn Access, as a big part of our jobs is the collation, analysis and reporting of data and Access can be a great tool in achieving this efficiently and effectively.

It is worthy to note that many off the shelf software is actually developed using Access. Now call me tight but I would much rather do it myself than fork out over the odds on a bit of software that probably doesnt do what I want anyway.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Just bumping this up. If anyone has an Access database they would like to share, I'm sure a lot of folks would appreciate it!

H

Henriqued

Marc said:
Just bumping this up. If anyone has an Access database they would like to share, I'm sure a lot of folks would appreciate it!
:D Thanks, Marc for this contribution. I'll be waiting for any answers...

R

Randy Stewart

Just one caution on Access. We have run into a problem with upgrading versions. We currently have 2 pc's that are running on Windows '98 because the Access data bases used for Inspection Request Forms and Calibration have so many macros custom written that they will not upgrade to newer versions. We are currently correcting the problem but it has brought up security issues.
So if you are going to create a program stay away from putting in too many custom macros. The software has been improved over the years making it much easier to write code for without jeapardizing the upgrades. I am still able to use the data base I set up for our documentation and it is 5 years old. I stayed with the macros that were available inside Access and they have been no problem in upgrading.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tomvehoski

Randy Stewart said:
Just one caution on Access. We have run into a problem with upgrading versions. We currently have 2 pc's that are running on Windows '98 because the Access data bases used for Inspection Request Forms and Calibration have so many macros custom written that they will not upgrade to newer versions. We are currently correcting the problem but it has brought up security issues.
So if you are going to create a program stay away from putting in too many custom macros. The software has been improved over the years making it much easier to write code for without jeapardizing the upgrades. I am still able to use the data base I set up for our documentation and it is 5 years old. I stayed with the macros that were available inside Access and they have been no problem in upgrading.
Randy,

I also had a problem a few years ago upgrading an Access 97 database to Access 2000. It had several 1000 lines of custom code. It would crash when converting to 2000. Finally traced it to an old line of unused code that never even ran, but when the upgrade tried to compile, it hit an error and crashed. Once I used the COMPILE command in 97, it found the error and notified me (Access 2000 just locked up). Since it was unused I just deleted the module and then it converted fine. Has been running for about 5 years now without problems.

Not sure if this is your problem, but you might want to try it. I always work on a copy of the datbase, just in case. To compile you have to get into some of the code. If you just use the wizards and don't normally edit code, the easiest thing to do is create a new module. Then select Debug - Compile All Modules from the menu. It will check all code - even stuff that never gets called or executed - and will notify you of any errors.

I also recall several issues upgrading from Access 7.0 (I think) to 97. Some of the command structures changed and I had to go through and modify code to add or remove periods or quote marks or something. I think going straight to 2000 eliminates the problem, but I am not sure.

Hope this is useful,

Tom

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Supplier 8D Report Evaluation - Seeking Ideas and Solutions Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
T I'm seeking ISO 13485:2003 Supplier Audit Checklist Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
Ron Rompen Seeking supplier of testing to the Volkswagon PV1210 specification Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
A Seeking a Die Casting Supplier in China - Guangdong, Zhejiang and Jiangsu Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
N Seeking supply chain diagram & supplier quality performance procedure Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
D Seeking supplier scorecards|release7.0 from Rolls-Royce Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
M Supplier Corrective Action Request-Seeking Example Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
J Supplier Quality Plans - Non-automotive company - Seeking examples Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
R Format that can be used to get supplier SPC annual work plan - Seeking Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
P Supplier Performance Issue - Seeking Advice Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
K Supplier Report Card - Seeking sample of a basic Supplier Report Card Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
R Customer Waiver Form for Supplier QMS Exemptions - Seeking an Example Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
V Supplier No-Change Agreement - Seeking Example Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
S ISO 14001 Supplier Questionnaire - Seeking Example Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 22
C How to become a good SQA (Supplier Quality Engineer) - Seeking advice and resources Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
M Alloy Wheels - Seeking Paint Supplier - Powder Primer, Liquid Base, etc. Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
A New Supplier QE Seeking PPAP Information APQP and PPAP 4
P Seeking: Approved Supplier (Vendor) Log Example Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 35
A ISO 9001 Clause 7.4.1 Supplier Rating System - Seeking simple system example Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 28
W Seeking Guidance Verification Test Strategy for Class B Medical Devices IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
M Seeking advice regarding use of off-the-shelf (OTS) batteries Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
A ISMS - Seeking VAPT Consultant Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
M Medical Device Directive - Seeking common nonconformance write up scenarios CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
S Seeking efficient method to manage install base data Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
K Seeking ISO 13485 Registrar Recommendations Registrars and Notified Bodies 15
R Tapping problems - 3/8" hot roll pickled & oiled steel - seeking expertise Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
S Responsibilities between government owner and private subcontractor of a power plant seeking ISO 9001 certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
B Seeking for an example or a template of a Business Plan Service Industry Specific Topics 3
B Health Canada Recall Definition - Seeking Clarification Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
W Seeking Returned Merchandise Procedure Customer Complaints 1
QMMike New Trend of not seeking Official ISO 9001 Registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
R Clinical Evaluation according to MEDDEV 2.7.1 (Rev 4) - seeking template ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
T ISO 9001:2015 Training for Management Team in NM - Seeking Suggestions and Providers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Seeking Corrective Action Process Examples Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
M AS9102 Training - Seeking third party agency that provides online AS9102 training AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
F Seeking Internship/Co-op Opportunities in Regulatory Affairs/QA/Clinical Domain (USA) Career and Occupation Discussions 4
L Seeking help in Basic Maintenance Knowledge Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
M Seeking opinion for ISO14001 team activity ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
smryan Seeking good 2D barcode add-in for Excel Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 6
Sean Kelley Seeking Feedback on ASQ Guide to Failure Mode and Effect Analysis FMEA and Control Plans 2
S Seeking examples of Nonconforming Materials Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
Sean Kelley Seeking Quality Training for Quality Technicians Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
P Seeking Information on ISO 15504 - Information Technology Process Assessment Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
K Seeking NDT Training and Certifications Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
Chennaiite Cause Analysis for Verification/Validation Failures - Seeking Opinions Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
Q Seeking Examples of current ISO/TS 16949 Training Procedures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Ron Rompen Seeking Test Lab which can do 1440 Hour Accelerated Weathering Characteristics Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
Sean Kelley Seeking Ballooned PFMEA and Control Plans for Training FMEA and Control Plans 4
B Seeking help in answering Australia Tax Withholding Declaration Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
H ASQ CQE Exam Review Workshop - Seeking Volunteers! September 2013 ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 7