Selecting reference standards for calibration

I work for a company that makes driveshafts and I work in the Metrology lab. Over the past couple of years, we have developed calibration processes for most of our internal gauges (calipers, micrometers, dial indicators, etc). We just hired on someone from another department and I am working on training her. Our work instruction (which was written by me) has a step that spells out the requirements of our reference standards which usually are along the lines of:
-Must be calibrated by an external ISO 17025 accredited calibration company
-Must be listed as a "Master" in the gauge software
-Must be calibrated to a minimum resolution of xxxxx
-Must be within 15-85% of the full range of the gauge
etc

Now the last one there is what I have a question about. Some time ago, I remember someone telling me (before I got into the actual process of calibrating items) that you never want to use a gauge to its full capacity. I'm not really sure what the logic was behind this, but since he seemed to know at the time, it stuck with me. Now that I have been developing processes, I usually apply a 15-85% rule when selecting reference standards to use when calibrating so as to not reach the limits of the gauge. Since we do our own internal calibrations and we dont use most of the gauges for extremely accurate measurements, we usually just use 3-4 test points to check for linearity and accuracy with ceramic gauge blocks and call it a day. Some of the issues I am running into are:

1) That step has a picture that shows some reference standards for micrometers, which include metal gauge blocks, temp/humidity gauge, and gauge rings (for inside mics). The picture was not to show what needs to be selected, but just a generic picture of types of standards needed. She's not happy that it doesnt spell out exactly what reference standards are needed. Ive tried to explain that I cannot just put the same set of reference standards to be used for all of them because we have different sizes micrometers (0-1", 1-2", 2-3", etc) which is why I used the 15-85% rule to help guide that decision along with most of the calibration setups already being created in the gauge control software.

2) I was thinking that maybe there is a better way to explain how to choose what standards to use. 1) Is there something in a standard somewhere that has either the 15-85% rule or something like it so as to not reach the full limits of the gauge, or is that something that I created but have no basis behind it?

I apologize for this being so long, but I wanted to get all of the details in there.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

CaliperJim

Starting to get Involved
ASME has standards for device calibration.
ASME B89.1.13-2013, the standard for Micrometers, states this:
1666291497880.png
ASME B89.1.14-2018 for Calipers states this:
1666291732336.png

BradM

Leader
Admin
We typically calibrate calibers and micrometers at 5%, 50%, and 95% of range. I don't necessarily know where we got that from or if that is nothing more than just a practice.

Now... as to your observation of using instruments at their low ends and 100% of tolerance, I too have always avoided that practice; of suggesting using something at... 1% of its operating range. To me... that is not the correct tool/ instrument for your measurement. If you're measuring... 5 psig, I wouldn't recommend using a 0-500 psig gauge.

I do know like with analytical balances, they do have a sweet spot somewhere at 50% of the full scale. Under USP 41, one is supposed to challenge the balance to as low as it will go until the readings at that test point become too varied. So for a 0-200 gram balance, you take ten readings at say... 5 grams: output variance is acceptable. You try 2 grams: output variance is unacceptable. Minimum weight on that balance is then 5 grams.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Selecting a Sample and Determining the Reference Value for a Bias Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
L I need a reference for selecting a notified body. Can anyone make a recommendation? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 21
M Selecting Samples for an R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
J Selecting factors for screening DoE design Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
M Informational How To Avoid Compliance & Timeline Risks When Selecting A Medical Device Supplier Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
O ISO 13485 for software company - Selecting suppliers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C Selecting potential internal auditors Internal Auditing 3
V Selecting System Precision Criteria - System Suitability Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Q Advice on selecting an ISO 9001:2015 Lead Auditor Certification Course ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
B Selecting Parts for an MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
S Selecting materials for implants to comply with ISO 10993 biocompatibility Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
B Process Control - Selecting Parts - NDC & Study Variation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
B Selecting components to meet UL 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
B Risk Management while selecting the Supplier Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Selecting which MDD 93/42/EEC Annex to follow - PACS software system CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
AnaMariaVR2 5 keys to selecting the right CM (Contract Manufacturer) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Pre-Selecting Materials for ISO 10993-1 Biocompatibility Compliance Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
P Selecting a Registrar and completing our ISO 9001 Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
S Selecting Wires for Measuring P.D. of Thread Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
M Suggestions for Selecting RF Wireless Components Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
S Selecting weights for daily Calibration Check - Using just one weight? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
W Selecting a Registration Agent in China China Medical Device Regulations 17
C Selecting Consultants for getting drug approval in USFDA Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
G Gage R&R Procedures: Selecting parts (sample) to measure Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
W Selecting Non-Conformities to address Nonconformance and Corrective Action 16
C Selecting the Right Problem (book chapter 1) The Reading Room 8
G Gage R&R: Selecting Number of Trials and Appraisers and Parts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
Le Chiffre Selecting a predicate device for FDA 510(k) approval Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
W Question about sample size code letter and selecting sampling plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
D Selecting a Tolerance when multiple specifications exist - Different Beers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
B Optimally Selecting 30 Pieces of Product out of 34 - How do I? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
J Selecting the best Gage - Buy according to production criteria IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
A Is there any kind of Ranking available for selecting the Registrars? Registrars and Notified Bodies 31
L Selecting ISO 9001:2000 Internal Auditors Internal Auditing 12
Q Criteria for Selecting a Consultant or Consulting Firm Consultants and Consulting 2
B Selecting Six Sigma Black Belts Six Sigma 3
S QOS for Tooling and Equipment - Having difficulty selecting a measurable QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
W Cross reference between APQP and VDA MLA? APQP and PPAP 0
V Is it required to recalibrate reference- standard instruments after equipment qualification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
I Hold Time studies for Primary Reference standards Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
E 510k reference devices US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
G Seeking reference guides/ documentation /tips on verification best practices Other Medical Device Related Standards 6
B Qualifying a reference analyzer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
E MSA Reference Manual 2nd Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
M Reference to an archived template in multiple SOPs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R Statistical Methods for comparing test and reference product equivalence for quality attributes US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
K COPLANARITY: Composite profile tolerance on multiple surfaces- what does" lower dimensional reference frame tolerance" control? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
C KAPPA index Reference Value for Visual inspection IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
G GD&T applied to reference dimension. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
C IVD Metrological traceability without a reference measurement procedure General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11