Selection Criteria for choosing a Management Representative for QMS

K

KCIPOH

Hello cove members,

I would like to seek advice from the members on how to choose a MR for a QMS and what is the responsibility for a MR in QMS?

Thanks and appreciate your feedback.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Hello cove members,

I would like to seek advice from the members on how to choose a MR for a QMS and what is the responsibility for a MR in QMS?

ISO 9001 clause 5.5.2 defines responsibilites and authorithies of the Mgmt Representative.
Criteria to select a MR are organization related, as per 5.5.2 he/she shall be a component of the management structure of the organization.
My personal suggestions could be : expertise in Quality matters as well as Registrar mgmt, expertise in Customer mgmt, operative knowledge of the quality standards, knowledge of the company structure and its processes, strong relationship skills.:bigwave:

J

JaneB

Hello cove members,

This really depends on your organisation structure and what's going to work for you. There's no single right answer. For many people in the Cove, I've noticed that they almost treat 'MR' and 'Quality Manager' as the same role. I don't. Sometimes they are, often they're not.

I'd always make sure it's the person who is as senior in the organisation as possible who will champion the system - it must be someone with the authority to make things happen.

All the rest of the stuff can be done by others, but you need that Top Person.

For many if not most of my clients, the MR is the business owner, the MD, the CEO, or whatever their title is.

K

KCIPOH

:thanx:Hello gusys, thanks for your explanation from the latest version clause 5.5.2. as this has give me a correct path to head on further.

Hello Jane,

Your clarification has clear out my doubt in identifying the right and appropriate person to lead the QMS.

Thanks a lot and appreciate

K

KCIPOH

Hello Jane,

So with this, i'm wondering can the MR be a person from the quality department instead of business owner or top management and is it each time only the MR will chair the management review meeting? or can it be chair by somebody else?

B

Boscoeee

Hello Jane,

So with this, i'm wondering can the MR be a person from the quality department instead of business owner or top management and is it each time only the MR will chair the management review meeting? or can it be chair by somebody else?

Any one that meets the requirements of the standard can be the MR.

Also, the standard requires that you perform a management review, it does not say you have to have a meeting to perform a management review!

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Hello Jane,

The ignorance of most top management about the Quality Management System functioning makes them feel and then appoint the Quality Manager as the MR, since they believe and determine that the Quality Management System is something to do with Quality department and something to do with documenting things ...
It is better to name it as just Management system than with the adjective Quality. Perhaps call it as Good Management system or Customer oriented Management system.
Who has the authority to provide outputs, decisions and resources as necessary to the organization chairs the management review, and this is the top management or their deputed person. MR facilitates the management reviews and perhaps can act as the secretary who prepares the minutes of the management reviews, which will cover all the aspects of the management review as required by the ISO9001 standard.

Last edited:
J

JaneB

Kcipoh, I already stated my view pretty clearly in a post below:
This really depends on your organisation structure and what's going to work for you. There's no single right answer....

I'd always make sure it's the person who is as senior in the organisation as possible who will champion the system - it must be someone with the authority to make things happen.
Few of my clients have a department called a 'quality' department. And I'd much rather have it so, as everyone does and should own quality. It most certainly does not and never should be owned or the responsibilty of a single department! :nope:

I repeat: get someone as high up on your organisation totem pole as possible. The lower down on the scale that an MR is, usually the lower importance & understanding the organisation has of what a quality management system (or business management system - I agree, better name for it) really is or should be or can be. Sigh :bonk:

Re. chair, please don't confuse who 'should' be the MR with who 'should' chair the so-called "management review meeting". That's a different issue.

If you choose to have such meetings, then it/they can be chaired by whoever works in your organisation.

the standard requires that you perform a management review, it does not say you have to have a meeting to perform a management review!
Yes, exactly. A point people often fail to understand.
I think management review comprises activiies done in many differing venues/forums, at many levels and at different times. I dislike the special so-called MR meeting of the 'let's all go into a room and work through the items listed in the Standard' and only those items approach! Usually divorced from the rest of the busienss and not seen as valuable, for good reason.

BIG BRAINS .....

Highlight for the right word :D
:confused:
Did you drink/smoke /eat something odd? Is this in the right forum even? It doesn't make sense.

J

JaneB

Thoroughly agree with everything you say in your excellent post, Somashekar. Until I got to this final sentence, which I disagree with (although it may simply be a matter of wording & I may be inferring a meaning you didn't intend).
MR facilitates the management reviews and perhaps can act as the secretary who prepares the minutes of the management reviews, which will cover all the aspects of the management review as required by the ISO9001 standard.

While I would of course make sure that all stipulated items in the Standard are covered off overall, I would not do them in a single separate meeting called 'Management Review'.

Why not integrate and incorporate them into the business management system of meetings itself, including the activities of management planning, overseeing progress, reviewing etc?

Top Bottom