Self-training or Self-studying

Is self-training or self-studying (by reading procedures, white papers or watching a webinars ....or whatever)) acceptable as training (as part of CAPA for example) in quality management system (ISO 13485 or 9001 etc..)? If yes, what is the best way to document it ?
I work for a small medical device company. Due to the fact that there is limited of resources available, we need to depend heavily on self-trainings.

Thanks in advance !

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

William55401

Quite Involved in Discussions
Welcome to the Cove. This is one acceptable way of training delivery. Read and acknowledge. Some procedures / domains are better served by instructor lead with tests for effectiveness. Your QMS should allow for both individual and instructor-lead classroom study. It is not an either or. Hope this helps.

First, training is usually not a good corrective action response. Why were untrained people doing the job? This brings us to the idea of competence. How do you assure that people are competent. Training of almost any sort is good, but training ≠ competence.
Thanks Jim, I agree with you on this. But training as corrective action response was just an example here. There are also other cases such as updated/ new processes or regulations/standards, where we need to train as well.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Training - be it self-directed or otherwise - can be PART of a correction action plan, but it likely is not the only activity that needs to be done. And, at the end of it, there needs to be a metric that the training (as well as the other activities on the action plan) can influence, hopefully in a positive way.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Thanks Jim, I agree with you on this. But training as corrective action response was just an example here. There are also other cases such as updated/ new processes or regulations/standards, where we need to train as well.
You can record the training--in whatever form it takes--however you wish to do it. You're still left with verifying the effectiveness of the training.

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
If you are at a small company, I suggest some sort of instructor-lead activity done AFTER the attendees attest that they have read the *whatevers*. You can have them sign in to that activity and then you will have *slightly* more than just an attestation that they are self-trained via reading.

Personally: I don't believe that self-directed learning via reading is particularly effective, and I won't make any pre-judgements about how effective a zoom meeting would be... but at least such a plan is covering two different types of learners (in addition to getting some evidence of training)

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
A little late to the party but keep in mind that if you do training you need to assess the effectiveness of training (in a manner proportionate to the risk associated with the work for which the training is provided). As this is a response to a finding, you may want to 'elevate' that effectiveness assessment.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Documenting Self-Training and Effectiveness - ISO 13485:2016 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
K CE Training that is offered about Self Certification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
P Self sponsored designee training/completion? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
D Quality Training for Operators and Production Supervisors to do Self-Inspection Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
xfngrs ISO/TS 16949 Self-Refresher Course - Auditor Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
Antonio Vieira Self training! External training about a subject that you already dominate Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
K GD&T training - Self Study vs. Undergrad GD&T course Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 13
T Live Training Vs. Software Self-Training - Complete training on 14001 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 13
C Self study training courses ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
CarolX Self Direct Training General Auditing Discussions 4
D Question and advice for a supplier self audit questionnaire ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
F Medical cart self certification EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M IATF 16949 SI # 10: Integrated self-calibration of measurement equipment- Needs for explanation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
K Technical file for MHRA - looking for assistance with self declaration Class I device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
K MDR Class 1 Self Certification - Competent Authority or Notified Body? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Control-self assessment Internal Auditing 5
Q Self-assessment audit information Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 6
S User evaluation for self monitoring blood glucose test systems US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
S Supplier Management ISO 13485: 2016- Which supplier needs to fill in a self assessment form? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
E HONDA HAA QAV-1 Self Assessment General Auditing Discussions 4
T Formal Q Self Assessment - Problem with assigning Product and Process Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
G Self Assessment Audit from a new potential customer General Auditing Discussions 3
M CE self-certification for Class I device (face mask) EU Medical Device Regulations 9
M Informational US FDA – Ear, Nose, and Throat Devices; Classification of the Self-Fitting Air-Conduction Hearing Aid Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
K Intended Use-Class I Self Certified - Intended Use and Indications for Use statements EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Ed Panek Part 11 Self Certify Memo - What else should it cover? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
M Informational TGA Consultation: Review of the regulation of certain self-testing IVDs in Australia Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Good Documentation Practices Self Test? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C CE marking for general IVD (self-certified) & ISO 13485 QMS requirements - auditing EU Medical Device Regulations 6
MichaelDRoach Oganization's Self Declaration of Conformance to ISO 28000 wording example wanted Supply Chain Security Management Systems 1
M Medical Device News TGA – Regulator Performance Framework: Self-assessment Report, July 2017 to June 2018 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Selling CE marked self-test in Malta - any additional requirements? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M CE self-certify, or needs testing by 3rd party? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
M Notified Body Involvement with Self Declared Products EU Medical Device Regulations 7
S Help: Need Control Self Assessment Questionnaire for HR Departmental Functions Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 0
T IVD - Self Declaration - Technical File - Template wanted Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 11
K ISO 13485:2016 Self Certification for Class I (annex 9) Stand-Alone Software? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S ISO9001:2015 and ISO14001:2015 Readiness/Self Evaluation Checklists wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
N MDD Class I Medical Device Self Declaration Articles/Supplementary Documents EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Self-study plan to improve fluency in English speaking, writing After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
Crusader Interval for Self-Calibrating Measurement Device? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 15
T Transition Time for Self Declared IVDs EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Z IVD Self Test Pregnancy - Assessment Route? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Anyone know the self-selection study for home use medical device Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
D Off-Label Self Promotion - What to do EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B Own Brand Labelling and Distributors - Self Test IVD's EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Creating goals and objectives with targets and measurables for self-evaluations Management Review Meetings and related Processes 2
C Help with Risk/Benefit Analysis Self-help Device for Diabetics ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
B Self Contained Biological Indicators as internal PCD Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
T Self Declaration for CE Class I, Non-Invasive Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 10