SBS - The best value in QMS software

"Selling" the idea of using Work Orders

M

MEDQA

Hello to All,

I'm trying to sell the idea of using work orders. We use them in some areas, but not all. I'm getting some resistance because the responsible person is overwhelmed at the thought of issuing them. I'm seeking some input on how to "sell" the idea.

Note, we are expected to be iso-9001 compliant.

thank you,

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Re: "Selling" the idea of using work orders..

What is used in other areas - how is the production controlled?

Would those other areas be part of the audit scope under the standard you want to register to?

What are the advantages besides registration to a standard? Any? That is, can you point to scrap resulting from not using the work order?

Can a previous work order be used as a basis for making repeating orders?

If being overwhelmed is the issue by itself, I wonder how many of these things must be produced, how long it takes (how complex is the template and the process to fill it out) and if this is work piled on top of other duties. The standard does ask for management to provide adequate resources, and that includes manpower to achieve and maintain controlled processes.

Outside of that fact we have just the pros and cons. What benefit do they bring, and what burden they represent to this person (is only one person able to do those? If so, what happens if (s)he wins the Powerball and disappears?).

M

MEDQA

Each area functions differently but all are expected to be ISO 9001 compliant.
At some point this year, we will implement MRP software that will aid in planning by allocating materials via a work order. The work order will become the lot # for which inventory can be tracked etc.

An actual Planner is also on the list of resources to obtain.

Area 1
w/o is issued to communicate how many pcs are needed and when they are needed.

• this seems to work well in this area.

Area 2
w/o is issued to communicate production lot # assignment. The majority of the time, there is no end date or end qty given. Just run until you no longer have material from supplier A, then change to a new lot # / work order # to use supplier B. These w/o / lot #'s are sequential and not repeated.

• Special instructions are often missed or not included (i.e. run x amount of parts from supplier A material, under concession or using trial material)
  • operators guess what w/o / lot # they are changing over to and guess wrong. Then, we need to make lot # corrections on documentation and data entry.
  • operators assume they are to continue to run the same part number when the machine should be changed over.
  • I would like to post the w/o at each machine so it is clear what is being produced. I would like a bar coded lot number on the w/o that can be scanned into data collection vs manual entry.
Area 3
Completes 1 or 2 secondary processes on Area 2 production. The need for these processes is dependent on whether the parts are used at a sister company or used in house.

Area 2 is located in another building approx 30 minutes away. A packing list from Area 2 is used to communicate whether the parts will be used in house or shipped out.

• I find this document to be very limited and unable to communicate special circumstances. (use FIFO or we need x amount of each part by 00/00/00, changes to ship vs keep, changes to add / remove secondary process)
Area 4
is using the same run run run method as Area 2, with the exception that no w/o - lot # has been issued yet. This area has just re-started after 2 yrs so I'm not aware of all the process shortcomings.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hello to All,

I'm trying to sell the idea of using work orders. We use them in some areas, but not all. I'm getting some resistance because the responsible person is overwhelmed at the thought of issuing them. I'm seeking some input on how to "sell" the idea.

Note, we are expected to be iso-9001 compliant.

thank you,
I am keeping the ISO9001 aside for now.
I am focusing on the work order.
Material is money in an other form. This money is put by the owner, bank, public, interested parties, partners, ~~ - ~~
If it is in the custody of the factory, then the factory is accountable. The factory someone who has the authority to move the material from stage x to stage next and so on has to account for the good use of the material or the reason for its non-use, like a processing rejection, supplier process rejection, wrong part, and such.
Is extra material used without authorization ?
Are good / bad materials further getting into the draw and shelf of production personnel ?
Are there any theft, pilferage ?
Are they getting exactly processed to a customer requirement, such that the materials (Money) is getting converted into Product (Money) and therefore meeting customer requirement (Purpose of Money in Business)
The one who holds the materials and processes it stands accountable, and the evidence of his accountability is in the records of the work order processing.
Now lets come back to ISO9001.
The 7.5.1 calls for control of production and service provision.
The organization shall plan and carry out production and service provision under controlled conditions.
Controlled conditions shall include, as applicable,

f) the implementation of product release, delivery and post-delivery activities

Map your business intent to ISO9001 statements seriously.

How do you wish to implement material releases within so as to implement product release, and product delivery ?

There can be many ways, but for me the simplest and most logical way is to implement material releases from stage to stage until the product release (simply a Work order process) so that I am happy, the Financiers are happy, my System is happy, my Customers are happy, and along the way ISO9001 (auditor) is also happy.

M

MEDQA

Thank you somashekar. You have provided some simple language which may help me to communicate why this is important and specifically what we are missing in certain areas.

This conversation has also helped bring light to light some other "roots" to address.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G QMS - Selling the idea to the CEO! Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
B ISO9001 - A business case (selling the idea) to influence a management committee ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
A Selling products with OEM certification expired EU Medical Device Regulations 0
dinaroxentool Selling a product in Both UK and EU after Brexit UK Medical Device Regulations 9
V Sister companies selling same medical device under different names ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Interesting Discussion Requirements for selling a Food product in USA Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
S Selling Clinical Practice Advice Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
I Selling medical gown and mask in China China Medical Device Regulations 0
M Selling Medical Devices in Puerto Rico US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
N Selling a class II Medical Device in Canada in Pharmacies Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 10
K Selling Medical Device Components to US hospitals and doctors US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
C Does the company violates any regulation/standard by selling device without warranty ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Informational FDA order – All manufacturers of surgical mesh intended for transvaginal repair of anterior compartment prolapse (cystocele) to stop selling and distr Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T RISK: Selling Diagnostic Devices on Amazon Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
A Selling CE marked self-test in Malta - any additional requirements? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
R Medical Device (IVD) - Selling RUO to Customers EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K Selling Medical Devices in Canada - Distributor? Private Label? Canada Medical Device Regulations 10
D Selling Medical Device Abroad After the Expiring Date of the EC Certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Selling Medical Demo Devices - is it allowable? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B Selling with a Medical Device App EU Medical Device Regulations 4
T MDSAP readiness - Selling clinical product IVDs into Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 7
T New to WEEE Directive - Selling a medical device directly to a professional end-user RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
P Selling Medical Devices from the US into Israel Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
N Registering a Class 1 Sterile Medical Device - Currently selling a Non-Sterile 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
M Selling Medical Device DTC in FL - Need a license? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
JoCam Buying and selling Class I and II medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Selling our own class 1 (EU) devices worldwide - Who is responsible for registration? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
W Legality of selling parts by count - Counting Scales Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
M Class I Medical Device - Need to notify CA (Competent Authority) if selling in Asia EU Medical Device Regulations 4
B What is the FDA guidance regarding selling replacement parts and traceability? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
B Selling Medical devices to Iran - OFAC doubts Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
D What are the requirements for selling Alcohol Swabs in USA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
R Selling of Medical Power Supply in Australia/New Zealand and Japan Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
Marc LinkedIn Accused Of Secretly Selling Members Professional Data To Potential Employers World News 9
S Manufacturing and Selling Medical Devices with Used Components ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C Selling of Research products in Europe EU Medical Device Regulations 9
S Regulations for Selling Convenience Kit vs. Selling Separate Parts Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
E Documentation for selling Prescription Only Medical Devices Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 8
B Additional requirements for selling Class I Medical Device in Poland EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Selling a CE Marked Product to a Hospital in Bulgaria Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
Ronen E ISO is Selling Draft Standards ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Marc Boeing caught selling used parts as new to Pentagon (Oct 2013) World News 3
Q Internal Laboratory Services - Selling Services to "Outside" Customers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
B Selling Class IIa Medical devices in Albania Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
G Selling a CE mark Class I Medical Device in Sweden - Any other requirements? EU Medical Device Regulations 13
I Selling Over the Counter Medical Devices in France EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Z Foreign Manufacturer selling in the US - Postmarket Surveillance question Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
P Selling Joint Implants without a Validated Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
R Selling Directly to Physicians in Turkey EU Medical Device Regulations 4
T Selling an Unapproved Investigational Device for Clinical Studies ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2