Senate approves tax break for auto loan interest

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Automotive News
February 3, 2009 - 6:00 pm ET

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Senate voted today to make loan interest and sales taxes on vehicle purchases deductible from federal income taxes.

The proposal, championed by the National Automobile Dealers Association, was added to an economic stimulus bill under debate in the Senate. The vote was 71-26.

The provision was not in a House-passed version of the more than $800 billion package of spending increases and tax cuts.

A conference committee will decide whether the provision stays in. The bill is a top priority of President Barack Obama.

If the measure passes, taxes on auto loans will be deductible for the first time since 1986.

The provision on deductibility of loan interest is the first significant measure aimed at getting consumers back into showrooms and buying vehicles to get action from Congress. NADA says the measure will save consumers about $1,500 on a $25,000 vehicle.

Some experts have criticized the provision for not having enough up-front punch. Too many worried would-be buyers aren't thinking ahead to cutting future tax bills, they argue.

But the measure is a significant incentive and NADA had to focus on what could be accomplished politically, an organization spokesman said today.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
A home equity loan used to buy a car has been tax deductable for years. This would be a good tax incentive for those who are renting or have no equity in their homes though.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Admin
A home equity loan used to buy a car has been tax deductable for years. This would be a good tax incentive for those who are renting or have no equity in their homes though.
A friend of mine couldn't afford a car he bought (have you heard this story before?) which I ended up buying from him about a year ago. I thought of a home equity loan for the tax deduction aspect. But who want's a lien on their home for a tax deduction to buy a car? What a risk factor! I took out a regular car loan, paid it off 3 months later and that was it.

What I do believe in all this is that there are so many people who have been put into shock over the last year that a tax deduction isn't worth a snit if you really can't afford a new car (and I bet that's what the tax deduction will apply to - NEW car purchase loans). I had over 175,000 miles on my old Bonneville (my lady friend bought it from me and is enjoying, especially in the snow we're having because it's REALLY good in snow) and I really only bought the 2004 Bonneville because I thought I would be traveling...

I've bought used cars for years. I've had relatively good luck. My bet is the incentive will be like that of 'easing' home mortgages - People can't afford what they could and are re-examining their spending. Easing mortgage terms, interest rates and such won't help when more and more people aren't sure if they'll even have a job 3 to 6 months from now.

I may post a poll on this. Interesting topic.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
My bet is the incentive will be like that of 'easing' home mortgages - People can't afford what they could and are re-examining their spending. Easing mortgage terms, interest rates and such won't help when more and more people aren't sure if they'll even have a job 3 to 6 months from now.
It will help. If you had two incomes, but suddenly have one, a more beneficial home loan situation may make the difference between keeping it or walking away from it. A lot of people talk about folks that bought homes they can't afford. We could afford a house before...but the drop of values torched the equity, making refinance nearly impossible. Add to that a loss of an income...what was once no problem becomes a compounded problem. :(

CarolX

I will take all the tax breaks I can get...but in the end, I just want my husband to find work.

Today was a blessing - after 9 months of unemployment - he got a call yesterday and started back to work today. He is a carpenter (commercial work is his thing) and with the housing bust and the economy as it is - not much construction happening.

We have worked hard to tighten everywhere we could so we could make it on my income alone in case his unemployment ran out before he found work. But there are a lot of folks out there that need 2 incomes to meet their expenses.

So the pols can talk all they want about tax breaks - does us no good if there are no jobs.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Admin
But there are a lot of folks out there that need 2 incomes to meet their expenses.
My bet is this is the situation the majority of people are in. And I doubt many people will buy a car just for the tax break.

Glad to hear your situation has picked up, Carol!

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Friends,

I guess we'll have to wait what the final stimulus package will look like.

Every little bit helps.

:topic:

You may have heard today on the talk shows that the biggest challenge for our new government will be to get the health care costs in control... But that's a subject for another thread.

Stijloor.

Randy

Super Moderator
Friends,

I guess we'll have to wait what the final stimulus package will look like.

Every little bit helps.

:topic:

You may have heard today on the talk shows that the biggest challenge for our new government will be to get the health care costs in control... But that's a subject for another thread.

Stijloor.

Yeah, but I'll guarantee there is some salt mixed in with the sugar;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Stijloor Industry aid fails in the Senate World News 18
E Who approves work by the quality engineer? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
M Documentation of Who Approves a Level 2 Procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Q Who approves the Quality Manual and Quality Policy? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 8
Ajit Basrur FDA approves Influenza A (H1N1) 2009 vaccines Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
SteelMaiden FDA approves 1st drug for obese dogs World News 6
N Can I Get a Tax Break for Buying my First Home in 2016? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
B Seeking help in answering Australia Tax Withholding Declaration Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
Antonio Vieira What are the Tax Rates in the USA? Career and Occupation Discussions 17
M Tax benefits of ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M New Medical Device Contract Manufacturers Excise Tax Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
C 2012 Registration Tax for Medical Devices and IVD in France EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Wes Bucey Justification for organization's tax-exempt status? Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
Jim Wynne Your Tax Dollars at Work Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
Marc Patent law is getting tax crazy - Patented Tax Deductions World News 1
Marc British PC Tax to Replace TV License? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
D SUV, truck owners get a big tax break - Revisited Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
G What are your country's Tax Types and Tax Rates? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 23
G Tax Deduction for QS-9000 Implementation Expenses QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 4
G $$ Tax Time $$$ Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 22
W IRS Tax Deduction for Registration Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
A Internet Sales Tax After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5