Sending disassembled medical device to Brazil to be re-assembled there

E

evaedge

Hello everyone :)
I've been visiting the forum for a while and this is my first post. If this is not the right place for my topic, please kindly redirect me. :)

We manufacture Class I exempt devices in the US and sell them worldwide. We are registered with the FDA and have ISO 13485; devices are CE marked. Today my boss decides to send partially disassembled finished devices to Brazil, and have our distributor re-assemble them there. I don't know why he wants to do that, but it doesn't sound right to me...

First, the devices will be assembled, tested, labelled as per our procedures here at our plant. It will have a Certificate of Compliance. Then, some parts will be detached, for example, the caster base, the front door of a storage space, and possibly the monitor. The main device console inside where all the components and wiring are will not be disassembled. Those detached parts will then be packaged separately, but shipped with the device to Brazil (not our normal practice/packaging WI). Then our distributor will reassemble the devices and sell them in Brazil.

Is this a violation of GMP? How is it going to impact our ISO 13485 certification? I don't know if they are doing to save on shipping cost (I doubt it) or to avoid custom issues (not sure if the device has been registered in Brazil or not). I would be really appreciated if someone could advise on this issue. Thank you very very much! :thanx:

Eva

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
Hello Eva and welcome to the Cove!

We manufacture Class I exempt devices in the US and sell them worldwide. We are registered with the FDA and have ISO 13485; devices are CE marked. Today my boss decides to send partially disassembled finished devices to Brazil, and have our distributor re-assemble them there. I don't know why he wants to do that, but it doesn't sound right to me...

First, the devices will be assembled, tested, labelled as per our procedures here at our plant. It will have a Certificate of Compliance. Then, some parts will be detached, for example, the caster base, the front door of a storage space, and possibly the monitor. The main device console inside where all the components and wiring are will not be disassembled. Those detached parts will then be packaged separately, but shipped with the device to Brazil (not our normal practice/packaging WI). Then our distributor will reassemble the devices and sell them in Brazil.

Is this a violation of GMP? How is it going to impact our ISO 13485 certification? I don't know if they are doing to save on shipping cost (I doubt it) or to avoid custom issues (not sure if the device has been registered in Brazil or not). I would be really appreciated if someone could advise on this issue. Thank you very very much!
GMP compliance should be the least of your concerns.

If you send parts to Brazil to be assembled here, the distributor in Brazil turns into the manufacturer. So he will have to perform again all tests, including certification if necessary (which seems to be the case as it seems like a medical electrical equipment), before registering the device in Brazil.

One of the reasons for doing all this may be to make it quicker to sell in Brazil, or even to have the device be considered as a Brazilian device (which might help in public procurement).

J

JeffEM

Eva, 10+ years ago I sold components to electronics manufacturers and there was a significant difference in import duties on importing components that were assembled in Brazil verses finished product being imported to Brazil for sale.

E

evaedge

Thank you very much Marcelo and Jeff for your response!:)
Yes, I later found out that we were being asked to do this so our customer (distributor) can save significant duties and taxes if we ship as parts/components. What I'm planning to do is to indicate on the sales order that it is a customer requirement and we are providing assembly and testing procedure. Hopefully we won't get in trouble...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Requirements for sending Medical Device Samples to Indonesia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
K Regulations for sending Veterinary Surgical Instruments to Qatar Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
L ISO9001:2008 - Applicable clause for sending incompetent crew to client Service Industry Specific Topics 7
K Sending Audit Questions to the Auditee in Advance Internal Auditing 20
K Do you think there is merit to sending audit reports to customers? General Auditing Discussions 26
S Deferment Letter for a delay in sending equipment for Calibration - format ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
G Sending person(s) to Mars, and not bring them back. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
Z Long Lasting Problem with our Supplier sending incorrect parts Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 13
S Sending Partially Labeled Product to Korea 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S Proof of Competency Outside of the Organization - Sending an Employee Abroad Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
M Sending sample devices to foreign countries Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
H Manufacturers? Certificates: Can information be removed when sending to clients? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
ScottK Free Trade Magazines... How long will they keep sending them? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
D Long Time Supplier sending Out-of-Specification Parts - Supplier Question Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 18
Q Supplier Excuse: Sending Defective Unit to Catch Up Shipping Schedule Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
Marc Western Union Stops Sending Telegrams - 145 Years of Telegram Service World News 0
Sean Kelley How to measure customer satisfaction? Sending out surveys by email? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
L A2LA - Sending testing to a non-accredited lab if customer doesn't require A2LA? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Regrind Material in Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Iraq Medical Device registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
R Medical Device Software Certification IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
D Medical Device Accessories Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
F Change to Formulation due to Reach (China Medical Device Regulations) China Medical Device Regulations 0
R Accelerated Aging - Creating test samples - Implantable medical device Question Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
R Product Recall - medical devices in the hospital warehouse Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
T Clinical evaluation of a new medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J Medical software Patient outcome Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
P Monolithic application and medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
7 Iraq Medical Device Chemical Regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
J UCLA extension Medical Device Engineering Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
Q Storing and developing SAMD (Software as a Medical Device) in the Cloud IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
I ISO 2233:2000 Question - Medical Device Shipping/Transportation Validation Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
N Medical Devices in oxygen rich environment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
R Identify Medical Device characterstics as Annex C of ISO 14971 Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
M Medical Devices Shelf Life ---INDIA Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
O ANATEL certification of Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
Ajit Basrur FDA News Harmonizing and Modernizing Regulation of Medical Device Quality Systems (7-2020) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
JoCam Warranty of Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Legal Manufacturer Medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
R Obsolesce medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Looking for Quality Content to Build Medical Device Curriculum - Concept to Commercialization Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
L Medical-grade power adapter labeling Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
dgrainger Informational UK - Medicines and Medical Devices Bill 2019-21 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
A Interpretation of GMP Requirements for class 1 medical device manufacturer (device GMP exempt, only General controls applicable) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
A Legal Manufacturer of a medical device Vs Legal Manufacturer of MDSW EU Medical Device Regulations 7
S Call it refurbish or not? Medical Devices Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Registering Medical Devices in Australia and New Zealand - ANZTPA Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
T Loaded spring device - Active medical device? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
MDD_QNA Medical Device Software - Is a Help Button required? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
H MDD Article 12 Labeling for Class IIa Medical Device - Please Advise EU Medical Device Regulations 3