Separate procedures? ISO 14k System combined with OHSAS 18001

Puck81

Starting to get Involved
I have gone through our ISO 14k system and combined as many procedures as I can with the OSHAS 18k system we are developing.

I have now moved on to developing procedures which are not able to be integrated with the 14k system. While reading through the OSHAS 18001 4.3.1 clause, I am wondering if I should create a separate procedure just for Determining Controls? We are combining OHS into our 14k Management of Change Procedure so this will give me 3 separate procedures (Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment, Determining Controls, Management of Change) for this clause. Thoughts or suggestions?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

insect warfare

QA=Question Authority
Trusted Information Resource
Just so you are aware, 4.3.1 does not call for a documented procedure (also true for the 14K equivalent of 4.3.1). The intent of 4.3.1 is for the user to first identify those hazards which could cause injury or ill health, and then to assess the risk factors pertaining to those hazards. Once that is done, you simply implement controls as necessary to reduce the risk factors to an acceptable level, by applying the hierarchy mentioned in 4.3.1. This in itself has a wide range of implications, and gives you lots of options to incorporate things into your H&S system. You should also seek regulatory guidance and familiarize yourself with codes and other laws associated with the type of work your company performs. OHSAS 18002 is a very good resource - if you don't already have it, I highly recommend you get a copy.

If you elect to document how you do all this in a procedure, that's fine, but be sure that you do document the results of all your hard work related to 4.3.1 and keep them up-to-date.

Brian :rolleyes:

Puck81

Starting to get Involved
Re: Separate procedures?

We have a spreadsheet with all activities, associated risk hazards, and the impacts associated with each risk hazard listed. Ranking criteria is included, along with methods of control, and reporting information for each risk hazard.

I'm guessing this would satisfy a majority of the clause during an audit, though i may need to add a little here and there.

We have the actual written procedures in the 14k system i inherited on significant aspect identification and management of change, so i assumed (I know, assume ends up becoming 3 separate words) i should do the same with the 18k.

insect warfare

QA=Question Authority
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Separate procedures?

We have a spreadsheet with all activities, associated risk hazards, and the impacts associated with each risk hazard listed. Ranking criteria is included, along with methods of control, and reporting information for each risk hazard.

I'm guessing this would satisfy a majority of the clause during an audit, though i may need to add a little here and there.

We have the actual written procedures in the 14k system i inherited on significant aspect identification and management of change, so i assumed (I know, assume ends up becoming 3 separate words) i should do the same with the 18k.
If this methodology has worked for your environmental system and been effective, I don't see any glaring reason why this should be a problem for 18k development.

As I mentioned before, look for OHSAS 18002. For H&S compliance, it is definitely worth the investment...

Brian :rolleyes:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Does ISO/IEC 17025:2005 require the Laboratory to have separate ISO 9001 Procedures ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
C Separate procedures for ?identification, collection,..." etc. - ISO 17025 - 4.13.1.1 ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
M Should QA procedures be separate processes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
R CAPA (Corrective Action Preventive Action) Procedures Separate or Combined Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
A Do you need a separate procedure for the 6 mandatory procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A Are two separate procedures required for Corrective action and preventive actions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 38
I Non-ISO9001:2000 'related' procedures - A separate NC system for Customer Service ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
I Separate procedures for parallel operations? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Preventive and Corrective Procedures - Separate Procedures? Special Procedures? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
Marc Corrective vs. Preventive Systems and Procedures - Separate Procedures? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 12
D ISO 13485 - 7.3.6 Design and development verification - Do most folks create a separate SOP? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
H ISO 13485 - Separate Microbiology Audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M UDI Database and EUDAMED - Will there be two separate databases? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
I Question 1 - Nitpicking on Document Approval - can a document approval record be separate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Organization merger. Should we keep two separate ISO 13485 certificates? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
CPhelan Internal audit - Combine similar nonconformities in one or keep separate? Internal Auditing 6
S "X-MR charts do not separate piece-to-piece repeatability of the process" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
R How far apart can you schedule separate areas or departments in your internal audit? Internal Auditing 4
S Do we need separate stand alone procedure for Suspect Unapproved Parts? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
J Facilities - Placing our assembly group into a separate building ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
W Product Audit - It must be a separate and distinct activity (IATF 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
C ISO 14001 vs Existing Quality System - How to keep them separate? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
T Should Testing be a separate operation in the Control Plan? FMEA and Control Plans 5
P Two separate 510k submissions for one device from the same company Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
B ISO 9001:2015 8.4 External Providers - If work is transferred to a separate facility ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Is a separate ISO/TS16949 certificate required for an extension site? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
T Two Separate Businesses - Only Part of Company Certified ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
D Separate Classifications for Medical Device Accessories EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R One-Time parts separate from QMS? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
D Is a separate spreadsheet required for the ASL (Approved Supplier List)? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
R Connection to a generic separate power supply IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
S Regulations for Selling Convenience Kit vs. Selling Separate Parts Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
cscalise Separate Forms or Procedure Attachments - What's more common? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C Do separate sites need separate documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
A Newly Incorporated Business - Separate Scope and/or Separate Cert? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
L Should Internal Audit CAPAs be kept separate from "normal" CAPAs? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J Device Registration and Listing - Separate for Device and corresponding Instruments? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
C How to handle Outsourcing with Same Site - Separate Cert ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
B Two Separate Legal Entities - Manufacturer Vs. Contract Manufacturer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 20
Q Separate Quality System? Product line of a parent company spins off 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
P How to separate Product Design Review, Verification, and Validation Activities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
C What can you do if Quality is treated as a separate function in an organization? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 24
C Separate Certification - Can I combine documents for ISO14001, OHSAS18001 & AS4801? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
S IEC 62366 - Embedded Software in separate Usability Engineering File? IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 1
K How do ISO 9001 Requirements apply to 2 sets of specifications to 2 separate vendors? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Include as an attachment or make a separate document? Advise on Document Numbering Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
F Multiple Business Lines (Separate Corporations) in one Facility AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
B Separate Clinical Trials in the US and the EU - When one fails - question US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
M Can I be a legal manufacturer without being a separate legal entity? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
B Hospital Operating Room Regulations - Separate Entrances for Clean and Dirty Supplies Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 4