Separation of Duties and Responsibilities

B

Brad Serangeli

Here is a problem that I know will come up in my visit by our registar....
In the past either myself or the Quality Control Manager has performed a internal audit on our QMS. The last visit from our registar, he raised a minor issue with the fact that my QC manager and myself are too close to the QMS. We have a third internal auditor but with recent event she has not had time to perform any audits. The audit on QMS is 38 days past due with no relief in sight for my third auditor. My question is this.. would it not be better to have some form of audit done by someone "close" to the QMS as opposed to no audit at all? :frust:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Bob_M

Brad Serangeli said:
In the past either myself or the Quality Control Manager has performed a internal audit on our QMS. The last visit from our registar, he raised a minor issue with the fact that my QC manager and myself are too close to the QMS. We have a third internal auditor but with recent event she has not had time to perform any audits. The audit on QMS is 38 days past due with no relief in sight for my third auditor. My question is this.. would it not be better to have some form of audit done by someone "close" to the QMS as opposed to no audit at all? :frust:
ISO 9K2K 8.2.2 Internal Audit Last sentence of paragraph 2
"Auditors shall not audit their own work"

Can you provide more details about what PART of the QMS the minor was written for? There are many parts of a quality system. Is your QC responsible for all of it?
------------------
Example: If the QC is responsible for Managing the Corrective Action program at your company the QC can not audit THAT PART of the quality system. Someone else will have to audit that PART of the system.

If the QC is responsible for ALL quality activity management and personally does all the work, well you're going to have to find someone else to audit the QC's task. This obviously is difficult in a small company!
------------------
As far as the 3rd person not having TIME, it is up to Executive management and the Quality department to ensure that the system is Maintained and audited at DIFINED intervals. Try working out a better time. The boss may have to step in to ensure audits are done.
------------------
I hope this helps.
This is just my $0.02, I'm sure you'll get better responses soon. :D

B

Brad Serangeli

Bob_M said:
ISO 9K2K 8.2.2 Internal Audit Last sentence of paragraph 2
"Auditors shall not audit their own work"

Can you provide more details about what PART of the QMS the minor was written for? There are many parts of a quality system. Is your QC responsible for all of it?
------------------
Example: If the QC is responsible for Managing the Corrective Action program at your company the QC can not audit THAT PART of the quality system. Someone else will have to audit that PART of the system.

If the QC is responsible for ALL quality activity management and personally does all the work, well you're going to have to find someone else to audit the QC's task. This obviously is difficult in a small company!
------------------
As far as the 3rd person not having TIME, it is up to Executive management and the Quality department to ensure that the system is Maintained and audited at DIFINED intervals. Try working out a better time. The boss may have to step in to ensure audits are done.
------------------
I hope this helps.
This is just my $0.02, I'm sure you'll get better responses soon. :D
The QC manager and I try to keep away from areas where we feel there will be a problem with us auditing our own work, but we did want to "hit" the areas such as internal communication, training, work enviroment, infrastructure, things where our job duties would not interfere or cloud a audit. For me, the compliance systems manager, I upkeep the ISO program, engineering changes, and other items as they relate to approval/listings of our products in the world market.

G

Greg B

See other Thread

Brad Serangeli said:
Brad,

This has been discussed in some detail recently in another thread. Unfortunatley I do not know how to add the Hyperlink here but I can spell it out.

Go to: Elsmar Cove fourms/Auditing and Registrars/Auditing then find the thread 'Can the Management Representative do internal Audits?' It has HEAPS of info on this topic.
My personal Opinion is that I leave the QMS to be audited by the Registrar. I audit all of the other stuff. Hope this helps.

Greg B :)

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I'm surprised it didn't get any 'similar threads' hits that most threads have at the bottom of each page.

E

energy

Try?

Brad Serangeli said:
The QC manager and I try to keep away from areas where we feel there will be a problem with us auditing our own work, but we did want to "hit" the areas such as internal communication, training, work enviroment, infrastructure, things where our job duties would not interfere or cloud a audit. For me, the compliance systems manager, I upkeep the ISO program, engineering changes, and other items as they relate to approval/listings of our products in the world market.
Brad,

You say you "try" to keep away from areas where there might be a problem. Is that where you received the "Minor"? If the minor is cited as "too close to the QMS", without a clear tie-in to the specific activity, you and the Auditor should square off and hash it out. These guys are sometimes opinionated and opinions do not get written down as a finding. I suspect you were criticized for auditing an area where you do work. Yes? :agree: :smokin:

B

Brad Serangeli

energy said:
Brad,

You say you "try" to keep away from areas where there might be a problem. Is that where you received the "Minor"? If the minor is cited as "too close to the QMS", without a clear tie-in to the specific activity, you and the Auditor should square off and hash it out. These guys are sometimes opinionated and opinions do not get written down as a finding. I suspect you were criticized for auditing an area where you do work. Yes? :agree: :smokin:
We were "written up" for having myself do an audit of the QMS. The auditor felt that since I am the lead auditor that I should distance myself from this audit. I am somewhat confused by the remarks from Greg. He had said let the registar do the audit of the QMS, but if we let that happen we will have no means of assuring that the continual improve of the QMS is taking place. Correct?

Shaun Daly

Involved In Discussions
Brad,

I think you are running a real risk there. Since it has already been raised as a issue once, what will the registar say when he comes across the same thing again? & unless he is lazy he will, as clearing the corrective actions is the first thing they do.

You need to make the management aware of the situation, and get that third auditor busy.

If that is impossible, then maybe a creative situation is needed...........

But being aware of the problem, and not correcting it will look bad to an assessor IMHO

Randy

Super Moderator
Ponder these......

Is it acceptable for an individual that is a member of an organization made up of 1 person to audit the organization?

Which is more desirable, independence or objectivity in auditing if both are unachievable?

Is the registrar auditing the QMS actually achieving what the standard requires when it specifies and audit of the QMS?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B F-type applied part - Separation from ALL(?) other parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
Ahang Separation between secondary circuit and accessible parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
O Difference in 60601-1-2 3rd and 4th ed separation RF portable equipment CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Q Rule 5.2h - Site Separation - Audit Manday Calculation (IATF 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
S Separation Devices as required in 16.5 of IEC 60601-1:2005 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
R Separation requirement for Class II equipment with functional earth IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
R Separation of Network Port from other Circuits including Patient Circuit IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
M Employee Transfer, Separation and Clearance Procedure and Forms ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B "Gated Conditions" - Separation of automotive and non-automotive product IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
C Separation of Facilities - Part 145 Repair Station AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 37
D Subcontracting specification developer duties US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
A Resident Engineer duties Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
N QA and only QA, or Jack of all Duties? Crossing Departmental Boundaries Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 30
J Configuration Manager's Duties - AS9110 or AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
A How is Segregation of Duties defined in the IT World? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 4
T Duties and Responsibilities as a Direct Supervisor of a Pregnant Employee Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 12
E Board of Directors - Their duties and how can we evaluate them? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
G Corporate Manager - Job Duties and Responsibilities Career and Occupation Discussions 7
S Taking over duties from a Quality Manager who left - Taken for a ride? Career and Occupation Discussions 8
S Job Duties: Quality vs. Procurement Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
D Duties of an Internal Auditor Internal Auditing 2
Q Quality Supervisor Job Description - What are the duties of a Quality Supervisor? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
M Production duties vs. Final Acceptance Testing - New Quality Manager needs HELP!!! Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 36
T Duties of a Supplier Quality Engineer? Graduate Industrial Engineer Needs Help Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
M Job Description: Job summary, list of duties, basic relationships, qualification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
JodiB What does a Quality Manager do? Responsibilities? Duties? Hands On? Career and Occupation Discussions 48
M Taking over Conflict Minerals responsibilities RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
D 3 Companies - Medical device parts and substances - Responsibilities EU Medical Device Regulations 4
P Economic operator responsibilities - when the Importer is also Distributor - Article 13 EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Relabeler for patent expired product - design control responsibilities? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Z Economic Operators Responsibilities after DOA for legacy MDD devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C Quality Manager vs Warranty (service) Manager - Authorities & Responsibilities Customer Complaints 2
D Reorganizing responsibilities between management teams and Employees in them ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
N ISO 9001:2015 - 5.3 - The roles and responsibilities matrix rears it's head ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D ISO13485:2016 7.5.6 Process Validation Responsibilities ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Contract Manufacturers and MDF Responsibilities, ISO 13485:2016, Clause 4.2.3 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
W Scope of MRB (Material Review Board) Responsibilities Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
JoCam Distributors Responsibilities - Medical Device Recalls EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J What are a Taiwanese Medical device subcontractor's legal responsibilities with Taiwan regulations? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
S Responsibilities between government owner and private subcontractor of a power plant seeking ISO 9001 certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
N Regulatory Responsibilities of an OEM and Private Label manufacturer Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
M Exemptions, Responsibilities, and Penalties (in Australia) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
C Significant Organizational Changes - Documented Responsibilities Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
A VW Supplier Product Safety Representative (PSB) Responsibilities and Requirements VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
M Complaint Handling Responsibilities for a Design Partner - ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
R Outsourced Plating Supplier Responsibilities Service Industry Specific Topics 8
M Quality Board Membership and Responsibilities Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
N Roles and Responsibilities with Suppliers for NC Parts Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
O Distributors and ISO 13485 - DHF and DMR Responsibilities ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
J How to decide work-stream in scope of Quality - Roles and Responsibilities ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1