SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Sequence and Interaction of the Processes - Please review my Process Map

A

ambrosedierdre

Can someone please have a look at my process map. I'm just wanting to know if its right to satisfy the 4.1 requirement. I'm also wanting advice if the 'product realisation' section is right... I'm not really sure what our business core processes are that I should be putting on this. We are a consulting engineering firm, civil, structural, hydraulic.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Can someone please have a look at my process map. I'm just wanting to know if its right to satisfy the 4.1 requirement. I'm also wanting advice if the 'product realisation' section is right... I'm not really sure what our business core processes are that I should be putting on this. We are a consulting engineering firm, civil, structural, hydraulic.

Thanks in advance
I do not know if customer related processes are clear enough...
Besides, don't you have any procurement processes?:bigwave:

K

kgott

Thanks in advance
One of the best experts on this matter on this forum is Patricia Ravanello. She goes to great lengths to stress that this diagam is only about key management system processes and not about the product realisation processes.

Check the litte green rectangle at the very top of this page and search for her name and or posts. Patricia has not posted on this forum for some time but you will find all her postings on this issue in the green box above.

There many other very good people on this forum aslo so note their perspectives as well.

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
Hi Ambrosedierdre, welcome to The Cove! :bigwave:

Thanks in advance
Look at your diagram and try to follow some specific information or a customer order through the system. Can you? If not, the sequence is probably inadequate. Where does the diagram describe the interactions between the processes? If you can't find them, it's probably inadequate.

My first recommendation is to throw away the diagram that you pulled out of ISO 9001 and start over. There is no requirement to fit all of your processes into four blocks that inconveniently have the same name as major clauses of the standard.

When you said,
I'm not really sure what our business core processes are that I should be putting on this.
I read that you're trying to force your business into the diagram rather than incorporate controls that meet ISO 9001 requirements into your business.

You need to first "determine the processes needed for the quality management system" within your business. Most of them already exist, or the company probably wouldn't still be in business. Many of them are probably already in your diagram, but they may not be organized in the sequence you do them in your business. When you're done, it should look like the way you do things, and probably somewhat different from another company's.

Between the processes there should be something that describes, at least at a high level, what the interaction(s) are. In my opinion more detailed descriptions of the interactions could be elsewhere in the system. Here's a link to a diagram I posted in another thread as an example - yours will probably look different: Sample process map2.ppt

S

ssz102

generally speaking, this diagram are good, but, i think that product realization section need to be more fully

A

ambrosedierdre

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I have searched that lady's name and been reading all morning, it has left me more confused than ever but I'm still reading so hopefully the light will turn on soon.

harry

Super Moderator
Thanks everyone for your inputs. I have searched that lady's name and been reading all morning, it has left me more confused than ever but I'm still reading so hopefully the light will turn on soon.
I am guessing that your background is not manufacturing, that's the reason why you are confused. If the process map you attached is yours for a start, I am not too worried. Chances are, you will see things in much clearer perspective as you move along and you can always come back to revise this map (nothing wrong if you don't get it right at first try).

Right now, I think the biggest problem you faced is not knowing the core processes of your business. Interview and find out from the key personnel.

A

ambrosedierdre

Well, we do up quotes to suit the clients needs, they review/sign it, it comes back and we start the job. Drafters then get the work checked, then it goes out to the client. We then do inspections (for example, site inspections on the footings and slabs) issue a certifcate, invoicing.

So once the core processes are correct, would the whole diagram suit the requirement? One thing i found this morning from Patricia's posts was that the standard isn't asking to identify the processes for Product Realisation, but rather the processess for the management system... :bonk: :frust:

A

ambrosedierdre

I am guessing that your background is not manufacturing, that's the reason why you are confused.
Nope, administrator turned into Quality Co-ordinator. Lots of learning to do and courses to attend.

S

snappy

Well, we do up quotes to suit the clients needs, they review/sign it, it comes back and we start the job. Drafters then get the work checked, then it goes out to the client. We then do inspections (for example, site inspections on the footings and slabs) issue a certifcate, invoicing.

So once the core processes are correct, would the whole diagram suit the requirement? One thing i found this morning from Patricia's posts was that the standard isn't asking to identify the processes for Product Realization, but rather the processes for the management system... :bonk: :frust:
You need to determine product realization processes that are included in your quality management system. But don't make the common mistake of identifying the product realization REQUIREMENTS as being your organization's realization PROCESSES.

Also, I wonder if "product verification" and "design" are two different processes. Design processes normally extend through design verification and product validation. I understand that you design something, then verify that your designs satisfy the input criteria. And somebody else builds it. And then you see if what was built satisfies the design input requirements. (This is validation.)

In an engineering consulting firm, it is very possible that you have only three realization processes: Sales, Purchasing, and Design. (I'm guessing you must purchase computer hardware or software or maybe training or something that impacts the quality of your provided services, so a procurement function probably exists and should be documented as a process.) Another thought. Engineering firms often operate in project fashion. Do you engage in project management? If a project management process is in place, this process should be recognized as a realization process and documented accordingly (in addition to, or perhaps preferably to include the design process).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q ISO 9001:2008 4.1 b Clarification - Sequence and Interaction of Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Workflow showing Sequence and Interaction of Processes in a Recruitment Scenario ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Explanation of Sequence and Interaction of Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Clarify on sequence & interaction of processes - Manufacturer of wiring harness IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
L Quality Plan or Sequence and interaction of the processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J Determine the sequence and interaction of processes - ISO9001 Clause 4.1 and 4.1 b ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
apestate How do I satisfy 4.1 - Identify and determine the sequence and interaction processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R Sequence and Interaction - Combined for both ISO 9001:2015 and EMS 14001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Sequence and Interaction Figure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Sequence of ISO 9001:2015 Implementation Steps ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
K Sequence of testing in IEC 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
P NDT Process sequence Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
R ISO 13485 QMS sequence of implementation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
V Sequence of performing risk assessment: User_FMEA (User Errors) vs Design Inputs FMEA and Control Plans 1
C Sequence of Process Steps not Respected FMEA and Control Plans 3
B AS9100 Rev D Sequence and Interactions of Processes - How in depth do I need to go? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
M Work Instruction Content or Sequence Changes and Operation Numbering Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
G Sequence and Frequency of Calibration for Thread Gauges General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M The Sequence of ISO 14971 Risk Analysis Activities ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 14
R "Control" as used in 4.1 c) - Process Flow Charts (Process Sequence Chart) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
G What is the right sequence for a Gage R&R study? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
E Sequence of Operations - Non-Destructive Testing vs. Trim & Drill Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
V MOST (Maynard Operation Sequence Technique) Technique - Information/Help wanted Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
I Validation of a MOST (Maynard Operation Sequence Technique) Time Study Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
S Do insulation layers in double insulation have sequence requirement? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
S Requirements for Sequence Diagrams & Process Flow Chart for each Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q IQ, OQ, PQ and Process Validation Sequence Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
R Process Qualification, Equipment Qualification, Operator Qualification - Sequence? Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
C MOST (Maynard Operation Sequence Technique) study for assembly of cockpit Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
A What is the Sequence of PPAP? APQP and PPAP 4
C GMP question - New pharma/drug manufacturing facility certification timeline/sequence Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 8
P 5S Deployment Sequence Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
R How does the assessor analyse the sequence and interactions processes? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Y Control chart - Sequence of sampling is not in accordance with production sequence Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
S Process Required - NC for not including HR and Maintenance in our Processes Sequence IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
W QMS Manual for TS 16949 - Sequence for Writing the QMS Manual Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14
Marc Run Charts - Plots of process characteristics against time or sequence Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
Q ISO 9001 2000 Drafts - What is the approval sequence and meeting places? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Has anyone ever heard of an International Standard for date sequence? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
K Turtle diagram or process interaction chart - Making it easier for an auditor Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 23
Q Interaction of Processes IOP NCR Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 7
Q Process Interaction - ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
H Taguchi mixed model DoE [L16 (4^3 2^6): factors interaction and ANOVA calculation Using Minitab Software 3
S New Interaction of Processes ISO 9001:2015 - Please Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Interpretation of DOE interaction plot Using Minitab Software 8
B Quality Manual - Description of the Interaction between Processes of the QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 27
L How is the interaction physically happening while performing ANOVA GR&R? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
A Description of Main Elements of OH&SMS and their Interaction (Documentation) Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
R Defining Interaction of Processes in a Software Company Software Quality Assurance 3
B Complying with ISO 14001 Clause 4.4.4 "Document Interaction" ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 9