SBS - The best value in QMS software

Sequence of ISO 9001:2015 Implementation Steps

Hi,

For the ISO 9001:2015 implementation is it doable to implement (run awareness and start documenting) in parts or should implementation start at the end of document completion?

There is a couple of different views within the organization I work with so I would appreciate the help.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Hi,

For the ISO 9001:2015 implementation is it doable to implement (run awareness and start documenting) in parts or should implementation start at the end of document completion?

There is a couple of different views within the organization I work with so I would appreciate the help.
Hello NASHII, I am confused with your question.

It is reasonable to view implementation as a series of steps. It makes sense to document the steps as you go, but I don't know of anyone who expects to have everything documented until the process has been determined to be set and, ideally, capable. In my view, for example it is perfectly okay to record competencies for the process steps before the process outcomes, and material qualifications and process/inspection equipment qualification/calibration might well occur before then.

So as you can see, documentation should logically be done as the activities are accomplished. When the process comes on line we can expect all of the associated documentation to be in place.

I hope this helps!

Hello NASHII, I am confused with your question.

It is reasonable to view implementation as a series of steps. It makes sense to document the steps as you go, but I don't know of anyone who expects to have everything documented until the process has been determined to be set and, ideally, capable. In my view, for example it is perfectly okay to record competencies for the process steps before the process outcomes, and material qualifications and process/inspection equipment qualification/calibration might well occur before then.

So as you can see, documentation should logically be done as the activities are accomplished. When the process comes on line we can expect all of the associated documentation to be in place.

I hope this helps!
Thank you Jen.
Yes it does help and yes the question is a bit...off.

I am working with fairly new people to the standard and currently it is being driven to seem like we need to be rolling out documentation and getting competencies at the end of capturing all our processes in correct documentation.. When we should start implementing processes as we go.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Thank you Jen.

I am working with fairly new people to the standard and currently it is being driven to seem like we need to be rolling out documentation and getting competencies at the end of capturing all our processes in correct documentation.. When we should start implementing processes as we go.
Thank you Jen.

Hello NASHII, I am relieved to not have totally misunderstood your question.

In my view it is not reasonable to expect this or that documentation at a particular stage of a process implementation, except of course the end. Let us consider evidence of competencies: there are competencies for process operators, maintenance and equipment/instrument calibration staff, which would be very reasonably expected to be recorded at different times of process implementation. The only reasonable expectation is that persons working in/in support of that process are documented as qualified at the time they perform their particular duties. The same works for equipment, materials and so on.

I welcome any and all Covers to add to this discussion as it is possible I have not considered any important perspective.

mattador78

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello NASHII, I am relieved to not have totally misunderstood your question.

In my view it is not reasonable to expect this or that documentation at a particular stage of a process implementation, except of course the end. Let us consider evidence of competencies: there are competencies for process operators, maintenance and equipment/instrument calibration staff, which would be very reasonably expected to be recorded at different times of process implementation. The only reasonable expectation is that persons working in/in support of that process are documented as qualified at the time they perform their particular duties. The same works for equipment, materials and so on.

I welcome any and all Covers to add to this discussion as it is possible I have not considered any important perspective.
For our AS9100 implementation that's exactly what we did built the system up until we were happy it was ready and then ran it looked for the breaks, fixed them and away we went with approval. As with all things you have to start it at some point and if anyone tells me they started it perfectly i don't think I'd believe them. You think its perfect until someone finds a hole without looking for it, that was what we found more often than not. i think sometimes you can look at standards or requirements and think that you have to be doing that perfectly straight away instead of figuring out how your company or staff need to do it to get the job done.

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
Hi,

Seini1, further to Jen's good comments, I suggest you see it this way:

Your company already has a QMS in place, else it wouldn't be in business. Your company's QMS is not compliant with the standard, and it is not documented, and it doesn't work as you'd like. But it exists. In this perspective, there is no question of implementation. What you're doing is documenting and improving, and at some point in this quest, your system will be compliant with the standard.

The funny thing is that as part of this quest, you'll create a continuous improvement process. With this process, if it works, there is never an "end of document completion". A compliant QMS is always improving, and most such improvements will be documented. So, yes, implement improvements as soon as practical. Once you close all your gaps with a compliant system in all your processes, you'll get a certificate, and you'll be well on your way to Quality.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Sequence and Interaction - Combined for both ISO 9001:2015 and EMS 14001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q ISO 9001:2008 4.1 b Clarification - Sequence and Interaction of Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q ISO 9001 2000 Drafts - What is the approval sequence and meeting places? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R ISO 13485 QMS sequence of implementation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M The Sequence of ISO 14971 Risk Analysis Activities ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 14
K Sequence of testing in IEC 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
P NDT Process sequence Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
V Sequence of performing risk assessment: User_FMEA (User Errors) vs Design Inputs FMEA and Control Plans 1
C Sequence of Process Steps not Respected FMEA and Control Plans 3
B AS9100 Rev D Sequence and Interactions of Processes - How in depth do I need to go? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
M Work Instruction Content or Sequence Changes and Operation Numbering Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
G Sequence and Frequency of Calibration for Thread Gauges General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A Sequence and Interaction of the Processes - Please review my Process Map ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
R "Control" as used in 4.1 c) - Process Flow Charts (Process Sequence Chart) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
G What is the right sequence for a Gage R&R study? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
E Sequence of Operations - Non-Destructive Testing vs. Trim & Drill Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
V MOST (Maynard Operation Sequence Technique) Technique - Information/Help wanted Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
I Validation of a MOST (Maynard Operation Sequence Technique) Time Study Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
S Do insulation layers in double insulation have sequence requirement? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
S Requirements for Sequence Diagrams & Process Flow Chart for each Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q IQ, OQ, PQ and Process Validation Sequence Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
R Process Qualification, Equipment Qualification, Operator Qualification - Sequence? Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
C MOST (Maynard Operation Sequence Technique) study for assembly of cockpit Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
A What is the Sequence of PPAP? APQP and PPAP 4
S Sequence and Interaction Figure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C GMP question - New pharma/drug manufacturing facility certification timeline/sequence Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 8
P 5S Deployment Sequence Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
D Workflow showing Sequence and Interaction of Processes in a Recruitment Scenario ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Explanation of Sequence and Interaction of Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R How does the assessor analyse the sequence and interactions processes? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S Clarify on sequence & interaction of processes - Manufacturer of wiring harness IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
Y Control chart - Sequence of sampling is not in accordance with production sequence Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
L Quality Plan or Sequence and interaction of the processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J Determine the sequence and interaction of processes - ISO9001 Clause 4.1 and 4.1 b ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
S Process Required - NC for not including HR and Maintenance in our Processes Sequence IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
apestate How do I satisfy 4.1 - Identify and determine the sequence and interaction processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
W QMS Manual for TS 16949 - Sequence for Writing the QMS Manual Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14
Marc Run Charts - Plots of process characteristics against time or sequence Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
S Has anyone ever heard of an International Standard for date sequence? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
D Common practices in ISO 9001 deployment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q ISO 9001-2015 Internal audit finding Internal Auditing 11
B ISO 17025:2017 risk management Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 0
P Audit check for IT company (ISO 9001) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Label Making & Printing Standards ISO / ASTM ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Should ISO 9004 be changed from a guidance standard to a requirements standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Ed Panek ISO 13485:2016 Section 5.5.3 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Q Do these certificates of calibration meet ISO 9001 requirements for traceability to NIST? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
ebrahim QMS as per ISO 13485, Clause 4.2 Requirements for regulatory purposes for Medical Devices Authorized Representatives. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S ISO 2768-mk print call out Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 11
T ISO 17024, clauses 4.3.8. and 5.1.1. Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4