Service and maintenance in an initial importer facility USA

C

cerisette

Dear all,

We are a company manufacturing medical devices based in France (manufacturing site) and we have an affiliate based in USA. This affiliate is the registered as an initial importer in USA.
We would like to know if trained people could perform the following activities in the initial importer facility:
- Service and maintenance of the cleared products
- Sell the refurbished products

I looked at the US regulation and I do not find any guidance about this. I would like to know what are the steps to follow in order to perform the aforementioned activities in an initial importer facility in compliance with FDA requirements:
- Is there any specific FDA requirements/ guidance related to this subject?
- Do we need to inform FDA about these activities?

I will really appreciate your feedback on this subject.
Thank you in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

A service/maintenance/refurbishment facility is a Remanufacturer if the devices it works on have sub-standard performance and its work causes their performance to be brought back to a safe and effective level.

Remanufacturer - Any person who processes, conditions, renovates, repackages, restores, or does any other act to a finished device that significantly changes the finished device's performance or safety specifications, or intended use.​
See http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/D...rationandListing/ucm053165.htm#remanufacturer.

If this applies to you, you must Register and List.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Dear all,

We are a company manufacturing medical devices based in France (manufacturing site) and we have an affiliate based in USA. This affiliate is the registered as an initial importer in USA.
We would like to know if trained people could perform the following activities in the initial importer facility:
- Service and maintenance of the cleared products
- Sell the refurbished products

I looked at the US regulation and I do not find any guidance about this. I would like to know what are the steps to follow in order to perform the aforementioned activities in an initial importer facility in compliance with FDA requirements:
- Is there any specific FDA requirements/ guidance related to this subject?
- Do we need to inform FDA about these activities?

I will really appreciate your feedback on this subject.
Thank you in advance.
Hello and welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

The information you provided is not enough for a definite answer. "Service", "Maintenance" and "Refurbishment" could each mean lots of different things. Please try to explain in more detail what's going to be done and what sort of devices / equipment we are discussing.

Cheers,
Ronen.

C

cerisette

Hi Ronen E and MIREGMGR,

First I would like to thank you for your feedback and my apologize for the late response but it seems I had there were a trouble because my my reply was not submitted.

Here are some additional details about our situation:
Our company is manufacturing imaging systems composed of central unit, computer screen?
1. These parts may be subjected to reparation or maintenance. In that case, we would like to train people working in our affiliate based in USA so they can be able to perform these kind of activities in the affiliate facility instead of bringing back the product to France.
All the quality data will be archived and managed in the manufacturing site (France) which is ISO 13485 certified.

2. We also would like to refubrish our products in the affiliate site. People in charge of this activity will be trained. The data will also be managed by the manufacturing site.

Would that be acceptable with "initial importer status"?
Thanks a lot for your help.

M

MIREGMGR

My conclusion is that my previous response applies...your situation would be that of a Remanufacturer.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Determining if Maintenance Contractor is an External Service subject to ISO 9001 Clause 8.4 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
D Return to Service after Contract Maintenance Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 5
J 3-D Surface Analyzer Service (Zygo) - Third Party Maintenance and Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
P Sampling Plans for Corrective and Preventative Maintenance Service Orginizations Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
B Service and maintenance company - I have an unusual exclusion to talk about in 7.4 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
G What are Key Performance Indicators for Maintenance Company - Housekeeping Service Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 8
G ISO 9001:2000 for service companies - Facility Management / Maintenance Service Industry Specific Topics 8
L Design & Development of a SERVICE Service Industry Specific Topics 13
N Evaluation of service providers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
N "Placing on the market" & "putting into service"- one time regulatory event or Continual supply event? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
samarth IVD manufacturer and service provider ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
C Quality Manager vs Warranty (service) Manager - Authorities & Responsibilities Customer Complaints 2
J Product Service after CE Certification expiration CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
T Nonconforming product at customer detected by a routine inspection by field service Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
S Service record requirements for Non-Serviceable Medical Devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
C Quality at Logistical Service Provider Service Industry Specific Topics 0
M Standards Subscription Service and Standards Tracking Service Pros and Cons? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
J NHS exemption - Benefits versus expectations in UK NHS service EU Medical Device Regulations 0
C ISO 9001:2015 Monitoring and measuring resources. Application a service industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
K Packaging and Damaged Parts returned from a Service Provider (Anodize) - Who is Responsible? Manufacturing and Related Processes 20
F 21 CFR Part 11 - Implicit requirements - Validation plan for a Software as a Service Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational From RAPS – Prep for Brexit: UK Seeks £25M Freight Service to Deliver Medicines, Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
W Customer Signature / Acceptance Service Reports Service Industry Specific Topics 2
T Is anyone working with N299.1 (Supply/service to nuclear power plants)? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
Ed Panek Ideas to keep quotes for consulting service accurate on not inflated Consultants and Consulting 11
M Informational New Notified Body designated under the MDR – TÜV SÜD Product Service GmbH Zertifizierstellen Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
V Replaced part affecting service life? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
A Defining Expected Service Life in Risk Management File Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
T Transportation - External Service Provider ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Will you please help me with my academic project? Repair & calibration service for test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
S Product registration platforms - A service called Licensale by Arazy Group Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 0
K How to define Expected life service life of medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
A AS9100 D Counterfeit Prevention Program - We just service parts AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 17
W AS9120B 8.5.1 Control of Production and Service Provision AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
A ITSM (IT Service Management) Ticket Audit Template Service Industry Specific Topics 0
P REACH - BOMcheck.net - What I can expect from this service? REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
N Possibly worlds first customer service complaint Supply Chain Security Management Systems 0
D KPI's Data for Customer Service AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
shrutisancheti EU User manual / operator manual / service manual guidance document(s) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
R Medical Device, Warranty Influences Expected Service Life Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
Q GDPR consulting service for Medical device Company EU Medical Device Regulations 0
P Service provider for Medical Devices Repair & Service ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Service Industry - Scope of the QMS & Scope of Certification Service Industry Specific Topics 13
S What is the difference between a service request and a complaint? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S IMDS helper app or program or paid service at OEM? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 0
H Reliable Prototype PCB service manufacturer Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Sidney Vianna New ISO/TC 312 - Excellence in Service ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 0
X Customer Service FMEA - Specifically Customer Care / Severity Rankings Service Industry Specific Topics 3
M AS9100 D - How to apply 8.1.1-8.1.4 to a coating service AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
G ISO13485:2016 Cl. 7.5.1 - Production and Service Provision - Medical Device Repairs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3