Service Supplier Evaluations - Criteria for evaluation and control of registrars

J

Jim Biz

I have a newsletter - proclaiming that the new standard will increase the focus on evaluatiing and maintaining control over "Service Suppliers" and goes beyound part/product related activities.

If that is true - how interesting it will be to see the criteria for evaluation/control over their chosen registrars services?

Any thoughts?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I am a consultant. I provide services. Back 4 years or more ago ISO auditors didn't freak out over evaluation of service suppliers. The original intent of the evaluation of sub-contractors was to ensure stuff you built your product with was from 'approved' (evaluated) suppliers. As ISO has evolved (with consideration to QS) evaluation of suppliers of services is (and has been for a number of years now, actually) a serious issue, if you will.

On my invoices I print a note saying they should ensure Cayman Systems is an approved, evaluated supplier as this is an ISO/QS requirement. The evaluation is to their stated requirements. Your company has to decide what your requirements are. I have seen several clients requirements for an ISO or QS consultant. Each was a bit different. One wanted lead auditor training and several other things. Another stated they just checked references because they had no idea what to ask for in an ISO consultant.

Actually, you should already have defined requirements for a registrar and evaluated the one you have. That registrar should be on your approved supplier list.

There is really no significant change - it's more of a 'clarification' or tightening of the requirement.

E

eskay

Marc,

Just a small querry. Is this a requirement? Should I evaluate my Registrar before I sign a contract with them for certification?

If yes, on what basis? What are the various things to be looked into for evaluating such registrar?

In this part of the world many companies go-in for ISO certification just for marketing purposes. I'm trying to create an awareness into this by looking into options of opening a sort of "user forum" for UAE as I'm getting too many enquiries to be a consultant for some big names here!!!

Any thoughts from you would be highly appreciated.

Thanx.
Kannan

[This message has been edited by eskay (edited 16 April 2000).]

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Originally posted by eskay:

Should I evaluate my Registrar before I sign a contract with them for certification?
Yes!
If yes, on what basis? What are the various things to be looked into for evaluating such registrar?
You set criteria and evaluate them to it. What is their quality system based upon? You may require ISO9001 registration. You might want to call references. You might want them to be accredited by several authorities (RvA, RAB, etc.) Have they audited many companies in your SIC? Will your auditor have worked in your SIC (not just audited, but actually worked in)?

Maybe the others can help out here.

In this part of the world many companies go-in for ISO certification just for marketing purposes.
As is the case with 99% of registrations.
I'm trying to create an awareness into this by looking into options of opening a sort of "user forum" for UAE as I'm getting too many enquiries...
So send them to me!!!
... to be a consultant for some big names here!!!
So - let's make a deal... I'd be happy to come over for a while and help in implementations. Are you a consultant?

E

eskay

Marc,
Thanx for your quick reply. It was helpful.

Regarding "UAE Forum". I'm already in touch with a local company who are planning to launch a website with ISO certified companies details and a Forum for discussion on Quality issues. This is going to address more specific querries from Middle East region (atleast thats what I've been told!).

No, I'm not a consultant at the moment. I work for a marine group of companies (biggest in Middle East) as QA Chairperson. But now and then I do give suggestions/consultation to people who come to me for any help eventhough I don't charge them for such consultations. If something is going to be more beneficial (commercial), I may look into that option as well. ;)

I'll surely get back to you with more details about the website once it is launched. Maybe you can contribute a lot to it!!!

Regards.
Kannan

I

isodog

this is a lot of fun talking about evaluating your registrars. But it has two problems. It doesn't matter one iota to the registrar and it's not value added.
Whats the point?

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
Would it be value added if you dedide that they are not providing you with fair comprehensive audits, on time or for a competitive price? Sure would drive me to switch......Would it add value to find out they are loosing credibility in the industry? Would it add value to know they never return your calls?

Once you know you are satisfied, you kick back and watch for changes.....but you still watch. The level of evaluation/control is different from raw material suppliers, but indeed is a value added exercise. each commodity you purchase has different controls, you should define them acordingly.

J

Jim Biz

IMHO, it may not be so much fun discussing this, – depending upon the interpretation and application of the wording. If they don’t care they should because it could turn out to be more than a sticky / serious issue.

Given that - if what we are expected to accomplish in evaluation and control over their services is viewed as “not adequate”. --- The follow-up thought process COULD be “– how are they “adequately controlling” any other service supplier. Resulting in numerous, repeated “favorite issue” nonconformance reports.

Quite possible that my short term, 5 year exposure to all of this has yet to unveil all the except for -factors surrounding the issue. It may be one of those – we will accept control of the standards documentation as we see fit – publish number and communicate what is current-that’s all we need to do. Except Mr./Ms Customer is in “non-adequate control nonconformance” unless/until other, measures of control and physical removal are used.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C One Time Service Supplier - Temperature and Humidity Testing Service ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
B IATF 16949 Clause 8.4.1.2 - Supplier Selection Process - Service Providers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
B Supplier Approval of electronic document storage service ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
S Supplier/ Service Provider Accreditation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T Do Machine Service Contractors Need to be an Approved Supplier? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Crusader Service-Type Supplier Evaluation Exclusion? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
V Supplier Service Level Agreements (Supplier Quality Development) APQP and PPAP 2
T Supplier Scorecards - Service/Parts (Diesel trucks and engines) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
A Supplier Quality Plan for Service Providers - Assistance and advice wanted Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
I Service Supplier Rating where Objective Pass/Fail Data is not Available Service Industry Specific Topics 7
D What knowledge should supplier and buyers of computers (public service agency) share? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
B Evaluation of Service Supplier - Third party audit NC against clause 7.4.1 General Auditing Discussions 6
A Vendor (Supplier) Evaluation of Service Providers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Service Quality at its best? Telephone line supplier Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
Q "Service" Vendor (Supplier) Evaluation - How are you evaluating suppliers? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
D Supplier Evaluation and Selection in the ?Service? industry Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
E Qualification for non gmp service providers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
I Equipment service dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
H Operational planning and product and service provision when things happen so fast ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
D IEC 60601-1 - Service life testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
D Device functionality over service life - Objective evidence required? Design and Development of Products and Processes 10
Q ISO 9001 8.5.1 - Control of production and service performance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
L Design & Development of a SERVICE Service Industry Specific Topics 13
N Evaluation of service providers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
N "Placing on the market" & "putting into service"- one time regulatory event or Continual supply event? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
samarth IVD manufacturer and service provider ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
C Quality Manager vs Warranty (service) Manager - Authorities & Responsibilities Customer Complaints 2
J Product Service after CE Certification expiration CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
T Nonconforming product at customer detected by a routine inspection by field service Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
S Service record requirements for Non-Serviceable Medical Devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
C Quality at Logistical Service Provider Service Industry Specific Topics 0
M Standards Subscription Service and Standards Tracking Service Pros and Cons? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
J NHS exemption - Benefits versus expectations in UK NHS service EU Medical Device Regulations 0
C ISO 9001:2015 Monitoring and measuring resources. Application a service industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
K Packaging and Damaged Parts returned from a Service Provider (Anodize) - Who is Responsible? Manufacturing and Related Processes 20
F 21 CFR Part 11 - Implicit requirements - Validation plan for a Software as a Service Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational From RAPS – Prep for Brexit: UK Seeks £25M Freight Service to Deliver Medicines, Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
C Determining if Maintenance Contractor is an External Service subject to ISO 9001 Clause 8.4 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
W Customer Signature / Acceptance Service Reports Service Industry Specific Topics 2
T Is anyone working with N299.1 (Supply/service to nuclear power plants)? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
Ed Panek Ideas to keep quotes for consulting service accurate on not inflated Consultants and Consulting 11
M Informational New Notified Body designated under the MDR – TÜV SÜD Product Service GmbH Zertifizierstellen Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
V Replaced part affecting service life? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
A Defining Expected Service Life in Risk Management File Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
T Transportation - External Service Provider ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Will you please help me with my academic project? Repair & calibration service for test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
S Product registration platforms - A service called Licensale by Arazy Group Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 0
Kuldeep Singh How to define Expected life service life of medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
A AS9100 D Counterfeit Prevention Program - We just service parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
W AS9120B 8.5.1 Control of Production and Service Provision AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2