Service Supplier Rating where Objective Pass/Fail Data is not Available

I

Ironcountry

Does anyone have a method to evaluate suppliers of services where objective pass/fail data is not available? This would include; Test Labs, Consultants, Calibration Labs, etc.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Duke Okes

Re: Service Supplier Rating

You could create your own pass/fail criteria, or use 3rd party criteria such as accreditation, etc.

I

Ironcountry

I should have been more clear, the intial evaluation is covered but ongoing is much more difficult as there is no pass/fail criteria as in a received product.

harry

Super Moderator

I should have been more clear, the intial evaluation is covered but ongoing is much more difficult as there is no pass/fail criteria as in a received product.
Consider using 'critical incidents' or 'Exception incident tracking' for re-evaluation. If there are no bad incidents during the period under review, you can consider them as acceptable (still meeting needs or requirements).

Last edited:
R

red66climb

Many companies forget to re-evaluate service providers altogether, but it is required. Whenever licensing or certification is required, you may require that service providers provide evidence that licenses and/or certification is maintained. If 3rd party reports are issued, theese might be shared with the customer.

On-time delivery is applicable for product and services. For example, did the service provider show up on-time? Did they provide a report on-time? Was billing accurate? Was pricing fair? Did you get the bare minimum or did the service provider go above and beyond? How long does it take to place an order? Is it hard to understand communications from the service provider? (i.e. - I just don't understand their report.)

Sometimes you can set objective criteria for evaluating service providers up-front. For example:

1) You hired a consultant to perform internal audits, and asked them to help prevent findings from 2nd and 3rd party auditors by finding them during internal audits. Benchmarking the number of past findings vs. the number of findings in subsequent audits is a potential metric.

2) Pest control suppliers could be evaluated based upon the # of pests observed before and after services were provided for the same month or quarter in the previous year.

3) A company was hired to install a piece of equipment. Did the equipment pass the IQ on the initial attempt? Was installation on-time? Was training provided? Did stakeholders have positive or negative comments?

4) A webhosting service provides a commodity service, but there are lots of metrics that the IT department can use to evaluate the service. How many service disruptions were experience? How much scheduled down-time was experienced? How quickly did the hosting service respond to questions? Were questions resolved during the 1st call?

I also like to select suppliers that have the potential to make companies better. For example, if a client has an internal initiative to implement a Lean Manufacturing or 6-Sigma program, I will suggest suppliers that do this well. Then they can learn from their suppliers--regardless of product or service.

When service providers are difficult to evaluate objectively, try asking a cross-functional team to score the supplier on a scale of 0 to 10. Everyone knows a "0" is not good, but a composite or average score will eliminate some of the bias of certain departments.

arios

Your Mexican Amigo
The following can be options to monitor your service suppliers:

a) On time delivery
b) Service (supportive, answers questions, timely resolution to issues)
c) For calibration labs: adequacy of information on calibration service reports
d) Adherence to service agreements, e.g. prices

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
Does anyone have a method to evaluate suppliers of services where objective pass/fail data is not available? This would include; Test Labs, Consultants, Calibration Labs, etc.
I agree with previous replies that you could come up with your evaluation criteria. For example -

Test / Calibration Labs - first check if they are certified to ISO 17025. Check their customer base and if they are serving big names, your comfort level increases. Additionally, you can do a system audit of the test lab before using them

Consultants - I would prefer interviewing the consultant and check if he could meet my organization expectations. If the consultant is to be hired for some technical area, assess his expertise by a Subject Matter Expert.

Hope that helps :)

arios

Your Mexican Amigo
Consultants - I would prefer interviewing the consultant and check if he could meet my organization expectations. If the consultant is to be hired for some technical area, assess his expertise by a Subject Matter Expert.

Hope that helps :)
And to assess the consultant's capabilities, if possible get references, and call his/her clients to determine that what he or she claims can be supported. There have been cases of "consultants" claiming a certain level of expertise and in reality they don't have it, and the result represents a significant cost for the companies (e.g. failed audits).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B IATF 16949 Clause 8.4.1.2 - Supplier Selection Process - Service Providers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
B Supplier Approval of electronic document storage service ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
S Supplier/ Service Provider Accreditation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T Do Machine Service Contractors Need to be an Approved Supplier? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Crusader Service-Type Supplier Evaluation Exclusion? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
V Supplier Service Level Agreements (Supplier Quality Development) APQP and PPAP 2
T Supplier Scorecards - Service/Parts (Diesel trucks and engines) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
A Supplier Quality Plan for Service Providers - Assistance and advice wanted Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
D What knowledge should supplier and buyers of computers (public service agency) share? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
B Evaluation of Service Supplier - Third party audit NC against clause 7.4.1 General Auditing Discussions 6
A Vendor (Supplier) Evaluation of Service Providers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Service Quality at its best? Telephone line supplier Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
Q "Service" Vendor (Supplier) Evaluation - How are you evaluating suppliers? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
D Supplier Evaluation and Selection in the ?Service? industry Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
J Service Supplier Evaluations - Criteria for evaluation and control of registrars Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
L Design & Development of a SERVICE Service Industry Specific Topics 13
N Evaluation of service providers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
N "Placing on the market" & "putting into service"- one time regulatory event or Continual supply event? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
samarth IVD manufacturer and service provider ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
C Quality Manager vs Warranty (service) Manager - Authorities & Responsibilities Customer Complaints 2
J Product Service after CE Certification expiration CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
T Nonconforming product at customer detected by a routine inspection by field service Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
S Service record requirements for Non-Serviceable Medical Devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
C Quality at Logistical Service Provider Service Industry Specific Topics 0
M Standards Subscription Service and Standards Tracking Service Pros and Cons? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
J NHS exemption - Benefits versus expectations in UK NHS service EU Medical Device Regulations 0
C ISO 9001:2015 Monitoring and measuring resources. Application a service industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
K Packaging and Damaged Parts returned from a Service Provider (Anodize) - Who is Responsible? Manufacturing and Related Processes 20
F 21 CFR Part 11 - Implicit requirements - Validation plan for a Software as a Service Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational From RAPS – Prep for Brexit: UK Seeks £25M Freight Service to Deliver Medicines, Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
C Determining if Maintenance Contractor is an External Service subject to ISO 9001 Clause 8.4 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
W Customer Signature / Acceptance Service Reports Service Industry Specific Topics 2
T Is anyone working with N299.1 (Supply/service to nuclear power plants)? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
Ed Panek Ideas to keep quotes for consulting service accurate on not inflated Consultants and Consulting 11
M Informational New Notified Body designated under the MDR – TÜV SÜD Product Service GmbH Zertifizierstellen Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
V Replaced part affecting service life? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
A Defining Expected Service Life in Risk Management File Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
T Transportation - External Service Provider ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Will you please help me with my academic project? Repair & calibration service for test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
S Product registration platforms - A service called Licensale by Arazy Group Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 0
K How to define Expected life service life of medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
A AS9100 D Counterfeit Prevention Program - We just service parts AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 17
W AS9120B 8.5.1 Control of Production and Service Provision AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
A ITSM (IT Service Management) Ticket Audit Template Service Industry Specific Topics 0
P REACH - BOMcheck.net - What I can expect from this service? REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
N Possibly worlds first customer service complaint Supply Chain Security Management Systems 0
D KPI's Data for Customer Service AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
shrutisancheti EU User manual / operator manual / service manual guidance document(s) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
R Medical Device, Warranty Influences Expected Service Life Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
Q GDPR consulting service for Medical device Company EU Medical Device Regulations 0