Setting FMEA Scope - Trying to prevent infant mortality rate

S

Steven Sulkin

We are just starting FMEA's and I am trying to prevent infant mortality. I have two questions.

First Question
How narrow/broad to set the scope of FMEA's?

I have two concerns here. First, I dont want to manage 400 FMEA's. Second, I dont want the scope too narrow or broad to be of use. In your experience how should I set my scope?

To put a reference to this:
Scope 1: lense (too narrow?)
Scope 2: overhead projector (too broad?)

Second Question
How do you keep up your FMEA's? I am adding an FMEA review as part of the Corrective Action protocol (8-D), design review, and change board. It seems almost perenoid that every time we make a change we have to review FMEA's. Do most folks have a formal review schedule? Are the 8-D, Design review, and change board enough?

Thanks in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
The scope of the FMEA is receiving to shipping. The level of detail is in line with your product and processes. There is no hard - fast rule regarding level of detail.I don't think 'Lens' is too small a detail - but, what about the lens? Wrong focal length? Clarity? These are things I would think about.

FMEAs are typically kept up by the product engineer or whoever 'plays' that functionary.

If you check out:

<a href="http://Elsmar.com/pdf_files/NC_DBASE.pdf" target=blank>NC Database - Sample Record </a>

You will see a place for FMEA and control plan review. As well as a print and other reviews. You make them part of the whole process. You review them and - if they need it - you update them. Typically there is going to be at least one problem during a year which would trigger a review of the documents.

On the other hand, as an auditor I would want to see that they are reviewed at least once yearly even if there are no problems. I don't think a yearly review is a requiment, though. I can't remember QS9000 stating a yearly review is required.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Setting action completion dates Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
S Heat Sealers Upper and lower limit setting during OQ for Heat Sealer Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
Ed Panek GDPR in Urgent Healthcare Setting Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
M Setting deadlines (ex. 45 days) for Document Registration & Review Cycle Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Ashok sunder What are the criteria for setting a target KPI value against a quality objective? Benchmarking 7
K Setting Quality Objectives (for the first time) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
R ISO 11137 Gamma sterilization validation, dose setting, dose audit Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M Best Practice for setting tolerances on a Drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
T Setting up a quality department in an Engineering Firm Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 11
B Software for setting up New Warehouse Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
S Setting up the process - First piece inspections Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
A Add-On software for VMC to calculate setting time, Idle Time, OEE etc.. Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
G Setting Up a Basic Quality Lab for a small manufacturing company General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A Setting up an LLC as a Consultant Paid Consulting, Training and Services 27
A Setting initial Expiry Date of an IVD per BS EN 23640:2015 Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
Q Setting Quality Objectives with a Timeframe ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Proud Liberal Setting up Prolink's QC-Gage to a Keyence IM-6225 Vision System Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
P Setting Acceptance Quality Limits (AQL) for New Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Hami812 Cpk Setting Tolerance - Cart before the Horse? (Wifi Routers) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
K Bioburden 0 cfu for Dose Setting using the VDmax25 Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
A New company, no employees, Setting up a QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
F Setting up a new sterilization unit in a new facility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
C ISO 14001 Recertification without setting Targets ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
T Guidance - Setting up an integrated quality & environmental management system Career and Occupation Discussions 12
M Setting up a M1003 QA Program for the AAR Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
A Setting up a Medical Device Distributor in Malaysia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 16
R Irradiation Sterilization Dose Setting and Dose Audit Flow Charts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
J Setting Up New QMS - New US Location ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Setting air gauging outside of a part tolerance Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
S Target Setting - Internal metric(s) to drive Internal Processes Six Sigma 1
S MSA Help or guidelines - Plastics - Setting up an MSA on a multi cavity fixture Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
G Setting up a corporate umbrella QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T Setting Quality Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
W Setting up from scratch - Looking for help (ISO9001 / ISO13485) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
F Setting up a New QMS for Certification when ISO 9001 is about to Change ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
P New to AS9100 Rev. C - Setting KPIs and FAI Reports AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
B Setting Lower Control Limit on Attributes Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
J Lean 5S - Setting Min/Max Inventory Levels Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
V Setting Specification Limits for UOD (Uniformity) for Live Bacteria or Spores Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 4
D How do I make the Corporate QMS work in the manufacturing setting? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J Setting Quality Objectives for Service, Repair and Sales ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Q Setting Specification Limits Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
C Mitutoyo SJ210 Settings - Is there an Industry Standard Surface Measurement Setting? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
W Setting up a Zmike for Pin Gage Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
W Zero setting of correlation graph when plotting best fit linear regression Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
G Setting up a 3 Factor, 2 Level,2 response DOE in Minitab Using Minitab Software 7
B Quality Goals and Improvements in a Bioanalytical Laboratory Setting Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
N Setting up MSA system in a machine shop environment. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
N Setting up a new Calibration Room in a Machine Shop Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
R Document Control Person - Setting KPIs, Development Plan, and Career Path Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6