SBS - The best value in QMS software

Setting initial Expiry Date of an IVD per BS EN 23640:2015

anoia

Registered
Setting initial expiry date of IVD as per BS EN 23640:2015

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this, I'm a first time poster, but have found Elsmar Cove to be a valuable wealth of information over the years.

We're setting the initial expiry date for our self-test IVD for the purposes of CE marking to the IVDD and a debate has broken out about how to interpret BS EN 23640:2015 (the stability standard).

It says "Data from accelerated stability studies and/or experience gained with IVD reagents that can reasonably be expected to be comparable with regard to their stability characteristics may be taken into account for establishing initial expiry dating. Experience with similar reagents and the risk associated with the use of the device should be used to establish the basis for initial expiry dating."

Our device is equivalent to competitors already on the market with a shelf life. Can we use the devices already on the market from our competitors to justify our initial expiry date? We'll have some of the accelerated degradation study data back to include in the TF submission but not enough to cover the shelf life we want. The device is relatively low risk.

I'm loathed to ask our NB as whenever I ask them anything, all I get back is "I cant answer that as it might be classed as consultancy".

:thanx:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Welcome to the Cove! Can't let a first-time post go unanswered. This isn't my area but I'll put in my 2 cents to maybe get the discussion going.

From what you said, I don't think there's enough information to say whether you can adopt your competitor's shelf life for your product. I would think you'd have to demonstrate equivalence in processing and packaging.

I think it's pretty common to submit with just an initial expiration period and then, as your citation indicates, expand as you get data to justify.

Your NB should be able to tell you if your approach would be acceptable. They can't DEFINE the approach, though, as that would, indeed, be consulting. I realize the pendulum has swung and there may be a more 'conservative' approach to communications - but you might want to try and establish a dialog.

Many thanks for the reply!

I've managed to convince senior management that we can go to market with an 18 month shelf life (competitors have 2 years) with the promise that if we get our accelerated degradation studies in order and they prove favourable, we can extend the shelf life as soon as possible.

Maybe it's the way I'm asking questions to the NB that always gets me an unhelpful answer. I'll try wording it more along the lines of "we're doing this, is it acceptable?" and see what happens. It's my first time dealing with this particular NB so I'm having to learn how to get helpful information from them.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Be sure to have justification for the 18-month period. What I've normally seen for sterilized product is that 12 months is a typical initial period while accelerated life tests and actual life tests are underway.

E

EthanLoh

Has your company conducted any accelerated studies?

If yes, that is acceptable for new product. However your company will need to conduct a real time study.

Normally, Notified Bodies will not answer such questions. Your company may need an external consultant.

K

Karen747

Hi All,

I did a search and this seems to be the only thread related to BS EN 23640:2015, so apologies for piggybacking on the thread.

I wanted to ask a question about specimen stability, 23640 only specifies lots for "reagent" stability.

So I was wondering would you have to prove specimen stability through three lots or would one be acceptable?

Many thanks :):)

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hi All,

I did a search and this seems to be the only thread related to BS EN 23640:2015, so apologies for piggybacking on the thread.

I wanted to ask a question about specimen stability, 23640 only specifies lots for "reagent" stability.

So I was wondering would you have to prove specimen stability through three lots or would one be acceptable?

Many thanks :):)
What do you mean by “specimen stability”? Why would specimens be kept for extended periods?

(Asking out of curiousity, IVD is not exactly my forte)

Last edited:
E

EthanLoh

Hi Karen747,

May be you can consider CLSI - MM13 - Collection, Transport, Preparation, and Storage of Specimens for Molecular Methods. There are storage temperature and duration for certain specimens defined in this document.

E.g. Plasma samples are stable for up to five days at 2 to 8 °C and longer if frozen at -20 °C or -70 °C or lower.

Alternative, you may wish to perform your own specimens stability study. There is no defined requirement on the number of lots.

Generally, you will need to prove the stability and reactivity of the specimens after a certain number of thaw and freeze cycles. Or after deep freezing at certain points, e.g. -20oC, -80oC, etc.

PS: The lab result is only as good as the sample.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hi Karen747,

May be you can consider CLSI - MM13 - Collection, Transport, Preparation, and Storage of Specimens for Molecular Methods. There are storage temperature and duration for certain specimens defined in this document.

E.g. Plasma samples are stable for up to five days at 2 to 8 °C and longer if frozen at -20 °C or -70 °C or lower.

Alternative, you may wish to perform your own specimens stability study. There is no defined requirement on the number of lots.

Generally, you will need to prove the stability and reactivity of the specimens after a certain number of thaw and freeze cycles. Or after deep freezing at certain points, e.g. -20oC, -80oC, etc.

PS: The lab result is only as good as the sample.
Thanks for the great overview. I didn’t think of freezing/thawing :bonk:

K

Karen747

What do you mean by “specimen stability”? Why would specimens be kept for extended periods?

(Asking out of curiousity, IVD is not exactly my forte)
Hi Ronen,

Stability of serum,plasma urine etc whatever is used with the IVD test, a hospital will normally not use up the fresh sample immediately and so the sample will be frozen or put into the fridge for future testing if necessary, on our IVD IFUs you would usually see X specimen is stable for 7 days refrigerated and/or frozen. (The time could be longer depending on the length of the study the manufacturer has performed)

I know you wouldn't get "lots" of specimens so I wasn't sure if there would still be a 3 lot requirement to test the specimen to prove stability for the claim on the IFU.

EthanLoh thanks for clarifying my question on the lots!! There was a debate in the office whether there should be a specific amount of lots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Setting flexible packaging specification limits ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
I Setting action completion dates Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
S Qualification question - ISO 13485 - Setting up a small lab Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
S Heat Sealers Upper and lower limit setting during OQ for Heat Sealer Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
Ed Panek GDPR in Urgent Healthcare Setting Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
M Setting deadlines (ex. 45 days) for Document Registration & Review Cycle Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Ashok sunder What are the criteria for setting a target KPI value against a quality objective? Benchmarking 7
K Setting Quality Objectives (for the first time) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
R ISO 11137 Gamma sterilization validation, dose setting, dose audit Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M Best Practice for setting tolerances on a Drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
T Setting up a quality department in an Engineering Firm Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 11
B Software for setting up New Warehouse Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
S Setting up the process - First piece inspections Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
A Add-On software for VMC to calculate setting time, Idle Time, OEE etc.. Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
G Setting Up a Basic Quality Lab for a small manufacturing company General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A Setting up an LLC as a Consultant Paid Consulting, Training and Services 27
Q Setting Quality Objectives with a Timeframe ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Proud Liberal Setting up Prolink's QC-Gage to a Keyence IM-6225 Vision System Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
P Setting Acceptance Quality Limits (AQL) for New Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Hami812 Cpk Setting Tolerance - Cart before the Horse? (Wifi Routers) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
K Bioburden 0 cfu for Dose Setting using the VDmax25 Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
A New company, no employees, Setting up a QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
F Setting up a new sterilization unit in a new facility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
C ISO 14001 Recertification without setting Targets ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
T Guidance - Setting up an integrated quality & environmental management system Career and Occupation Discussions 12
M Setting up a M1003 QA Program for the AAR Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
A Setting up a Medical Device Distributor in Malaysia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 16
R Irradiation Sterilization Dose Setting and Dose Audit Flow Charts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
J Setting Up New QMS - New US Location ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Setting air gauging outside of a part tolerance Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
S Target Setting - Internal metric(s) to drive Internal Processes Six Sigma 1
S MSA Help or guidelines - Plastics - Setting up an MSA on a multi cavity fixture Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
G Setting up a corporate umbrella QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T Setting Quality Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
W Setting up from scratch - Looking for help (ISO9001 / ISO13485) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
F Setting up a New QMS for Certification when ISO 9001 is about to Change ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
P New to AS9100 Rev. C - Setting KPIs and FAI Reports AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
B Setting Lower Control Limit on Attributes Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
J Lean 5S - Setting Min/Max Inventory Levels Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
V Setting Specification Limits for UOD (Uniformity) for Live Bacteria or Spores Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 4
D How do I make the Corporate QMS work in the manufacturing setting? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J Setting Quality Objectives for Service, Repair and Sales ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Q Setting Specification Limits Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
C Mitutoyo SJ210 Settings - Is there an Industry Standard Surface Measurement Setting? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
W Setting up a Zmike for Pin Gage Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
W Zero setting of correlation graph when plotting best fit linear regression Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
G Setting up a 3 Factor, 2 Level,2 response DOE in Minitab Using Minitab Software 7
B Quality Goals and Improvements in a Bioanalytical Laboratory Setting Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
N Setting up MSA system in a machine shop environment. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
N Setting up a new Calibration Room in a Machine Shop Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3