Setting Objectives and Targets for the EMS - Is continual improvement required?

M

Mike Smith

This may seem like a silly question to some, but I am struggling with setting our organizations objectives and target. When setting an objective/target, does it mean that you must improve the EMS program for which you are setting the objective/target. Can a objective/target be to only maintain a program? For example, my objective/target for the coming year is to recycle as much paper as last year (no improvement). For some reason when I think objectives/targets, it means that I will improve some process, but from reading the standard it does not mention improving, only that you have objectives/targets.
:bonk:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
L

liller

4.4.3 Objectives, targets and programs

4.4.3 "The objectives and targets shall be measurable, where practicable, and consistent with the environmental policy,......and to continual improvement"

It pretty much says it right there in the standard, and the Environmental Policy includes a commitment to "continual improvement."

Why do something if you are not going to improve?

Manoj Mathur

Quite Involved in Discussions
Objectives & Targets

Somewhere, I have replied to this thread about two years back. In this I have given a few O&T what we sat for our System in line with EMS. I still remember one or two are as below;

1. To reduce rolling oil consumption from 33 Lit / Ton of production to 29 Lit./ Ton by December 2003.

2. To reduce GHG (Green House Gas) Index by 5% in every year till 2006.

All together there are 20+ O&T we have set.

Regards,

Manoj Mathur

Randy

Super Moderator
Achieving targeted objectives is the primary method to show improvement.

Improvement has to be related to some type of environmental performance indicator and if you don't measure it how can you know and show you're getting there?

B

BSMITH

Comments

I agree with everything that has been said so far. I would add that in some cases there are rational, explainable reasons why you can't meet a stated objective/target. For example, a facility might assign a team ("re-engineering, quality improvement, or 6 Sigma) to look at alternative methods or technologies to meet a specific objective. The team may not be finished their analysis/study in the first year or the new or improved technology might be cost-prohibitive. Of course, there is a danger in setting many objectives/targets that you end up not meeting for cost reasons.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
liller said:
Why do something if you are not going to improve?
Because a company only has so many resources. Some things are maintained or are routine activities. Some things are improvement activities. An organization should consider their resources and their strategic plan before decided where they will improve.

That's why I like "multi-level objectives" - for lack of a better description.

For example, an objective at the highest level might be "To minimize consumption of natural resources."

At the next level we say for 2005, the goals to meet the objective are:
  • Maintain recycling rate.
  • Maintain waste-to-landfill rate.
  • Reduce natural gas consumption.
  • Reduce waste water discharge.

Then, for our targets, we assign numerical control limits to ascertain whether or not we are meeting our objective (and take action when we are not).

You can not improve everything and to say that you intend is not only wishful thinking, it lessens the impact of your management system. Intentions are all well and good, but realistically, you are only human (as your co-workers) and you can only do so much.

That's why we do thinks like pareto analysis and analysis of data. To look at what needs to be improved and where we can improve. Maintain the stuff that is under control and performing well. Improve the items that need to be improved and that you are able to directly impact in a postive manner.

M

Mike Smith

Very well said R.C.

This is basically how we approached the problem. I just needed some confirmation. Thank you.
For some aspects, our objective/target is only to maintain the system, not improve. Other objectives/targets, we will continue to improve until we reach our stated objective.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
liller said:
4.4.3 "The objectives and targets shall be measurable, where practicable, and consistent with the environmental policy,......and to continual improvement"
By the way, there is nothing in this quote that mandates the use of numerical targets. I could make a SPC chart, and declare that my objective for next year is to either

1. Maintain the current performance with no statistically significant adverse trends.

or

2. Generate a statistically significant improvement.

Yes, if all your measures default to holding the current level of performance, you are not demonstrating continual improvement. But not ALL measures every year need to be promised to generate improvement. Else, you would have no prioritization. This is why the word "continual" is important vs. "continuous".

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LEADAUDITOR

Ems Aspects/targets

Mike,

You may want to try to take the tools you have such as the FMEA layout. Rate by severity, occurrence, and detection. This helps in laying out a plan to get to the targets.

:)

Randy

Super Moderator
All that's really required is that you document what your O&T's are (what & how much) state who is responsible for the program to achieve them (who), define the means (how) and the time frame (when) to make it all happen. You also need to develop a procedure(s) document the information to monitor performance and conformity with your environmental objectives and targets.

An O&T can be a project like building a containment pad or purchasing a piece of equipment.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Setting Targets (Objectives) for Customer Satisfaction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
K Setting Quality Objectives (for the first time) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
Q Setting Quality Objectives with a Timeframe ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T Setting Quality Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J Setting Quality Objectives for Service, Repair and Sales ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R Setting Departmental Objectives - Product and Process design & development IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
G Setting up realistic Quality Objectives - Bulk Material Handling Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
M Understanding "Framework for setting objectives" in Cl. 5.3c ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
B Quality Objectives Vs. Quality Policy - Setting Quality Objectives and Goals AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
H Clause 4.2 (d) intent - Framework for setting and reviewing environmental objectives Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 7
I Policy & objectives for processes - Written process for policy/objective/goal setting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D Top Management Quality Objectives - Setting objectives and Measurable goals ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
N Defining and Setting Quality Objectives for Each Organization Function and Level ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
Icy Mountain Quality Objectives Redux - Setting Actual Numbers (Measureables) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
A Planning of Realization Processes - Setting Quality Objectives - ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
J Setting accuracy limit for a read out General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
B Setting flexible packaging specification limits ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
I Setting action completion dates Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
S Qualification question - ISO 13485 - Setting up a small lab Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
S Heat Sealers Upper and lower limit setting during OQ for Heat Sealer Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
Ed Panek GDPR in Urgent Healthcare Setting Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
M Setting deadlines (ex. 45 days) for Document Registration & Review Cycle Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Ashok sunder What are the criteria for setting a target KPI value against a quality objective? Benchmarking 7
R ISO 11137 Gamma sterilization validation, dose setting, dose audit Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M Best Practice for setting tolerances on a Drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
T Setting up a quality department in an Engineering Firm Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 11
B Software for setting up New Warehouse Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
S Setting up the process - First piece inspections Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
A Add-On software for VMC to calculate setting time, Idle Time, OEE etc.. Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
G Setting Up a Basic Quality Lab for a small manufacturing company General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A Setting up an LLC as a Consultant Paid Consulting, Training and Services 27
A Setting initial Expiry Date of an IVD per BS EN 23640:2015 Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
Proud Liberal Setting up Prolink's QC-Gage to a Keyence IM-6225 Vision System Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
P Setting Acceptance Quality Limits (AQL) for New Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Hami812 Cpk Setting Tolerance - Cart before the Horse? (Wifi Routers) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
K Bioburden 0 cfu for Dose Setting using the VDmax25 Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
A New company, no employees, Setting up a QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
F Setting up a new sterilization unit in a new facility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
C ISO 14001 Recertification without setting Targets ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
T Guidance - Setting up an integrated quality & environmental management system Career and Occupation Discussions 12
M Setting up a M1003 QA Program for the AAR Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
A Setting up a Medical Device Distributor in Malaysia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 16
R Irradiation Sterilization Dose Setting and Dose Audit Flow Charts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
J Setting Up New QMS - New US Location ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Setting air gauging outside of a part tolerance Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
S Target Setting - Internal metric(s) to drive Internal Processes Six Sigma 1
S MSA Help or guidelines - Plastics - Setting up an MSA on a multi cavity fixture Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
G Setting up a corporate umbrella QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
W Setting up from scratch - Looking for help (ISO9001 / ISO13485) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
F Setting up a New QMS for Certification when ISO 9001 is about to Change ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23