Setting Quality Objectives with a Timeframe

Q

QAMTY

Hi all

How the objectives should be defined in ISO 9001?

I saw this case in a company.

This way:

Objective = Quality-> (no timeframe) then defined operative Kpis= # of rejections of product and goal, say max 20/month, % bad inspections, goal= 2/month, they are monitored every month, when something is not in compliance , actions are taken to fix the problems, but in this way it is supposed that objectives (by using Kpi´s) are measured each month.

Should be better this way ?

Objective = to reduce rejections 2% by december 2017 (giving a timeframe to reach such objective) and defining same kpis, # of rejections of product and goal, say max 20/month, % bad inspections, goal= 2/month.

In this way, the objective is evaluated only at the end of december 2017 and
kpis are monitored every month.

Does it sound ok for you?

Cause I have seen that auditors dont take care in details about how to measure objectives, they only revise, they are written down on a paper but not the way to be evaluated.

How have you defined them in your company and how often you revise
objectives and kpis supporting them?

Please advise on this

Regards

In ISO 9001, after defining

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
In my opinion you could define the objective in a generic way or detailed as you showed. But you do need to establish a time for when it will be accomplished per 6.2.2.d.

Here are the relevant definitions in ISO 9000 and requirements in ISO 9001:
ISO 9000:2015 said:
objective

result to be achieved

Note 1 to entry: An objective can be strategic, tactical, or operational...

Note 3 to entry: An objective can be expressed in other ways, e.g. as an intended outcome, a purpose, an operational criterion, as a quality objective (3.7.2) or by the use of other words with similar meaning (e.g. aim, goal, or target).

Note 4 to entry: In the context of quality management systems (3.5.4) quality objectives (3.7.2) are set by the organization (3.2.1), consistent with the quality policy (3.5.9), to achieve specific results.
ISO 9000:2015 said:
quality objective

objective (3.7.1) related to quality (3.6.2)

Note 1 to entry: Quality objectives are generally based on the organization’s (3.2.1) quality policy (3.5.9).

Note 2 to entry: Quality objectives are generally specified for relevant functions, levels and processes (3.4.1) in the organization (3.2.1).
ISO 9001:2015 said:
6.2.1 The organization shall establish quality objectives at relevant functions, levels, and processes needed for the quality management system.
The quality objectives shall:
a. be consistent with the quality policy;
b. be measurable...
e. be monitored...

6.2.2 When planning how to achieve its quality objectives, the organization shall determine:
a. what will be done...
d. when it will be completed;
e. how the results will be evaluated.
So a quality objective is "a result to be achieved related to quality." It needs to be measurable and monitored. The organization needs to decide what they will do to achieve the result, when they will achieve the result, and how they will evaluate the result. The standard gives us some flexibility in how exactly we state this. You saw the way I like to do it in my post from yesterday here.

Big Jim

Super Moderator
Hi all

How the objectives should be defined in ISO 9001?

I saw this case in a company.

This way:

Objective = Quality-> (no timeframe) then defined operative Kpis= # of rejections of product and goal, say max 20/month, % bad inspections, goal= 2/month, they are monitored every month, when something is not in compliance , actions are taken to fix the problems, but in this way it is supposed that objectives (by using Kpi´s) are measured each month.

Should be better this way ?

Objective = to reduce rejections 2% by december 2017 (giving a timeframe to reach such objective) and defining same kpis, # of rejections of product and goal, say max 20/month, % bad inspections, goal= 2/month.

In this way, the objective is evaluated only at the end of december 2017 and
kpis are monitored every month.

Does it sound ok for you?

Cause I have seen that auditors dont take care in details about how to measure objectives, they only revise, they are written down on a paper but not the way to be evaluated.

How have you defined them in your company and how often you revise
objectives and kpis supporting them?

Please advise on this

Regards

In ISO 9001, after defining
ISO 9001:2015 for the first time brings in the concept that there should be a time frame for achieving objectives. An easy way to handle it is to confirm that the objectives are still pertinent with every management review, and that reviewing of the objectives can include resetting or replacing them as needed or leaving them alone.

Personally, I don't recommend "reducing by X%" type goals. They cannot be sustained for very long. I often see companies with that type of quality objectives that were set up by a consultant and never revised and they couldn't figure out why they were having trouble sustaining it. Seems like common sense but to some it is not.

My personal preference is more like your first suggestion but revise the goals when you need to and even change the objectives out when they get stale.

Q

QAMTY

Dear Howste

Some time ago you shared a sample of quality objectives.
The way it is shown, it is like very clear explained, showing the text o the policy
the objective extracted from the policy, additionally the metrics and target and goals.
I wonder, how has to be detailed, could it be deleted the objective as title, and only include the metrics?
I´m attaching an extract of your sample, for comments

does it help in some way one or the other option?

Please feed me back

Thanks

Attachments

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
Dear Howste

Some time ago you shared a sample of quality objectives.
The way it is shown, it is like very clear explained, showing the text o the policy
the objective extracted from the policy, additionally the metrics and target and goals.
I wonder, how has to be detailed, could it be deleted the objective as title, and only include the metrics?
I´m attaching an extract of your sample, for comments

does it help in some way one or the other option?

Please feed me back

Thanks
That can work as well, as long as the policy and objectives support each other. My personal preference is to keep the objectives at a high level. That way they can be kept in a quality manual (which I find useful) and I don't have to change the manual if leadership decides to change the metrics. But either way is fine.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Setting Quality Objectives (for the first time) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
T Setting Quality Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J Setting Quality Objectives for Service, Repair and Sales ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
G Setting up realistic Quality Objectives - Bulk Material Handling Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
B Quality Objectives Vs. Quality Policy - Setting Quality Objectives and Goals AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
D Top Management Quality Objectives - Setting objectives and Measurable goals ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
N Defining and Setting Quality Objectives for Each Organization Function and Level ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
Icy Mountain Quality Objectives Redux - Setting Actual Numbers (Measureables) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
A Planning of Realization Processes - Setting Quality Objectives - ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
Ashok sunder What are the criteria for setting a target KPI value against a quality objective? Benchmarking 7
T Setting up a quality department in an Engineering Firm Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 11
G Setting Up a Basic Quality Lab for a small manufacturing company General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
P Setting Acceptance Quality Limits (AQL) for New Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T Guidance - Setting up an integrated quality & environmental management system Career and Occupation Discussions 12
B Quality Goals and Improvements in a Bioanalytical Laboratory Setting Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
I Business Plan for Setting Up a Quality Department Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
B Where do policies fit in the setting up of a Quality Management System (QMS)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Setting Up a Quality Measurement System - Part of a strategic goal to improve quality Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
S Criteria for setting a target value against a quality objective/KPI? Benchmarking 6
L Any tips on setting up a Quality Management System for a Commercial Printer? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C What is the right method to set quality goal? Goal Setting 10X (68% improvement) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 0
Q Setting up a Quality system - No medical device experience - Where to start ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
I Quality R&D - How to apply quality principles/plans to a strict design R&D setting? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
N Setting AQL (Acceptable Quality Level) on C=Zero inspections AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 16
S Heat Sealers Upper and lower limit setting during OQ for Heat Sealer Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
Ed Panek GDPR in Urgent Healthcare Setting Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
M Setting deadlines (ex. 45 days) for Document Registration & Review Cycle Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
R ISO 11137 Gamma sterilization validation, dose setting, dose audit Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M Best Practice for setting tolerances on a Drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
B Software for setting up New Warehouse Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
S Setting up the process - First piece inspections Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
A Add-On software for VMC to calculate setting time, Idle Time, OEE etc.. Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
A Setting up an LLC as a Consultant Paid Consulting, Training and Services 27
A Setting initial Expiry Date of an IVD per BS EN 23640:2015 Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
Proud Liberal Setting up Prolink's QC-Gage to a Keyence IM-6225 Vision System Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
Hami812 Cpk Setting Tolerance - Cart before the Horse? (Wifi Routers) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
K Bioburden 0 cfu for Dose Setting using the VDmax25 Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
A New company, no employees, Setting up a QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
F Setting up a new sterilization unit in a new facility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
C ISO 14001 Recertification without setting Targets ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
M Setting up a M1003 QA Program for the AAR Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
A Setting up a Medical Device Distributor in Malaysia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 16
R Irradiation Sterilization Dose Setting and Dose Audit Flow Charts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
J Setting Up New QMS - New US Location ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Setting air gauging outside of a part tolerance Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
S Target Setting - Internal metric(s) to drive Internal Processes Six Sigma 1
S MSA Help or guidelines - Plastics - Setting up an MSA on a multi cavity fixture Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
G Setting up a corporate umbrella QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
W Setting up from scratch - Looking for help (ISO9001 / ISO13485) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
F Setting up a New QMS for Certification when ISO 9001 is about to Change ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23