SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Setting Quality Objectives

T

thira7

Hi all,

I have a question regarding quality objectives.

We set as quality objectives
1) increase our network satisfaction in our annual survey (we are NGO so we do not use the term customer)

2)Increase the responses from Monitor and Evaluation activity (Is the process where we collect data of how many children participate in our programme, how many of them are girls boys etc) currently we have very low response.

Do you believe that this conforms with the standard?

Any opinions appreciated!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
C

ckillam3

Re: QUALITY OBJECTIVES

My first look causes me to ask: do these objectives reflect the quality policy? Secondly, your objectives should have goal values, like a network satisfaction level of 90%. Just remember, it is your company and you are in business to satisfy your customer, not the CB.

T

thira7

Re: QUALITY OBJECTIVES

Yes this objectives reflect the quality policy.
About your second query for the Monitor and Evaluation we already have goals in terms of metrics. For the network satisfaction we are still working on it, but we know that is necessary.

Thank you for your feedback, any other suggestions are welcome.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi all,

I have a question regarding quality objectives.

We set as quality objectives
1) increase our network satisfaction in our annual survey (we are NGO so we do not use the term customer)

2)Increase the responses from Monitor and Evaluation activity (Is the process where we collect data of how many children participate in our programme, how many of them are girls boys etc) currently we have very low response.

Do you believe that this conforms with the standard?

Any opinions appreciated!
You need to know where you are and where you want to go and by when. This sets the Objective. You want to achieve it because you know it is beneficial to your organization. How you will do it and review it is your Process.
1) increase our network satisfaction in our annual survey from xx level to yy level by monitoring it periodically (monthly / quarterly)
2)Increase the responses from Monitor and Evaluation activity from xx level to yy level by Dec 2014, monitoring it on a monthly review.
The yy must be a challenging yet achievable goal, for the defined period.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Do keep in mind goals can be directional, with statistical basis. Such as, achieve a significant improving trend in metric xx.

I do find the phrase "Challenging yet Achievable" to be laughable, IMO.

For a different way of looking at goals consider this article:

http://www.workplacemagazine.com/Ezine/FullStory.aspx?EzineDataID=2136
A perfectly-timed link for me! Thank you!

:topic: My organization recognizes that its data is 'dirty'. Too many points exist in the system for errors and there is little accountability. Yet - and this amuses me to no end - one of our credos is "Information-based decision making". :bonk:

I've uttered the phrase "Garbage in. Garbage out." multiple times over the past few weeks and I'm sure I've earned very few friends in the process.

So, now we move on to the project team...a group of us (and by group, I mean 2 of us) have been tasked with overhauling the system so that our data is good. Over 7,000 employees...2 of us...totally doable. :confused:

Still, we're determined to do what we can and this includes a few activities such as:

• Standardizing the definitions and formulas associated with the (Customer) required metrics
  • Reviewing existing processes and identifying areas where errors are occurring (e.g., data entry, system options, etc.).
  • Standardizing reporting functions of data

What we haven't factored in to the project until yesterday was the analysis of the data...what do we do with the data once we have it??? We're proposing that this be entered into the project scope, as well.

Not to mention, what do we do in cases where a site has a LCL and UCL which are both under the (Customer) required goal? Up until now, we've said "why" (not digging deep enough in my opinion) and only talked about actions. I'm suggesting that if we want this site to hit, as a minimum the (Customer) required goal, we need a documented plan (with accountability). To simply say "Get to that goal" without providing them the resources to do so is an exercise in futility and one that we need to change. My magic wand is broken and I'm not capable of fixing everything. :magic:

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Let me laugh too Steve., when you detail how you find it laughable ~~~
We may have a difference of opinion here, but the reason I find it laughable :lmao: is going back to a statement from Dr. Deming - if a goal is so "achievable", what is the point of doing it? Worse "why aren't you already doing it"?

Challenging and achievable should be mutually exclusive.

Most important is Dr. Deming's oft-repeated question - "By What Means?":2cents:

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Roxane - ALL DATA ARE DIRTY!

Dr. Deming quote - "there is no true value of any measurement". How much do you weigh? Step on a scale that is sufficiently precise, step off, exhale (or drop a drop of sweat, or a skin cell falls off) and step back on. How much do you weight?

So we make operational definitions, something close enough that multiple people can reasonably get the same result. Interesting exercise - ask children to count how many "cookies" are in a box of animal crackers. Okay, not the cookie versus cracker thing, but here is a cow broken into two pieces. Is this one cow, or two cookies?

You many find some of my stuff at http://www.efcog.org/wg/esh_es/Statistical_Process_Control/ in discussions of statistical definitions and analysis.

K

kgott

We may have a difference of opinion here, but the reason I find it laughable :lmao: is going back to a statement from Dr. Deming - if a goal is so "achievable", what is the point of doing it? Worse "why aren't you already doing it"?

Challenging and achievable should be mutually exclusive.

Most important is Dr. Deming's oft-repeated question - "By What Means?":2cents:

Just to expand on what Steve is saying. One of our global oil and gas clients has a safety target for their projects which, among others, is zero lost work days.

They also require their suppliers to meet or exceed this and their other safety targets. How can anyone have less lost work days than zero lost work days???:nope:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Setting Quality Objectives (for the first time) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
Q Setting Quality Objectives with a Timeframe ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J Setting Quality Objectives for Service, Repair and Sales ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
G Setting up realistic Quality Objectives - Bulk Material Handling Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
B Quality Objectives Vs. Quality Policy - Setting Quality Objectives and Goals AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
D Top Management Quality Objectives - Setting objectives and Measurable goals ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
N Defining and Setting Quality Objectives for Each Organization Function and Level ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
Icy Mountain Quality Objectives Redux - Setting Actual Numbers (Measureables) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
A Planning of Realization Processes - Setting Quality Objectives - ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
Ashok sunder What are the criteria for setting a target KPI value against a quality objective? Benchmarking 7
T Setting up a quality department in an Engineering Firm Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 11
G Setting Up a Basic Quality Lab for a small manufacturing company General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
P Setting Acceptance Quality Limits (AQL) for New Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T Guidance - Setting up an integrated quality & environmental management system Career and Occupation Discussions 12
B Quality Goals and Improvements in a Bioanalytical Laboratory Setting Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
I Business Plan for Setting Up a Quality Department Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
B Where do policies fit in the setting up of a Quality Management System (QMS)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Setting Up a Quality Measurement System - Part of a strategic goal to improve quality Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
S Criteria for setting a target value against a quality objective/KPI? Benchmarking 6
L Any tips on setting up a Quality Management System for a Commercial Printer? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C What is the right method to set quality goal? Goal Setting 10X (68% improvement) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 0
Q Setting up a Quality system - No medical device experience - Where to start ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
I Quality R&D - How to apply quality principles/plans to a strict design R&D setting? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
N Setting AQL (Acceptable Quality Level) on C=Zero inspections AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 16
K ISO 9001 Auditing in a Healthcare setting Auditing Quality and Environmental Management Systems 15
J Setting accuracy limit for a read out General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
B Setting flexible packaging specification limits ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
I Setting action completion dates Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
S Qualification question - ISO 13485 - Setting up a small lab Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
S Heat Sealers Upper and lower limit setting during OQ for Heat Sealer Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
Ed Panek GDPR in Urgent Healthcare Setting Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
M Setting deadlines (ex. 45 days) for Document Registration & Review Cycle Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
R ISO 11137 Gamma sterilization validation, dose setting, dose audit Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M Best Practice for setting tolerances on a Drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
B Software for setting up New Warehouse Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
S Setting up the process - First piece inspections Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
A Add-On software for VMC to calculate setting time, Idle Time, OEE etc.. Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
A Setting up an LLC as a Consultant Paid Consulting, Training and Services 27
A Setting initial Expiry Date of an IVD per BS EN 23640:2015 Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
Proud Liberal Setting up Prolink's QC-Gage to a Keyence IM-6225 Vision System Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
Hami812 Cpk Setting Tolerance - Cart before the Horse? (Wifi Routers) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
K Bioburden 0 cfu for Dose Setting using the VDmax25 Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
A New company, no employees, Setting up a QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
F Setting up a new sterilization unit in a new facility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
C ISO 14001 Recertification without setting Targets ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
M Setting up a M1003 QA Program for the AAR Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
A Setting up a Medical Device Distributor in Malaysia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 16
R Irradiation Sterilization Dose Setting and Dose Audit Flow Charts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
J Setting Up New QMS - New US Location ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Setting air gauging outside of a part tolerance Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2