Setting Solid Dose Drug Fill Count Ranges

M

Manicjewels1

Good Morning Everyone,

I am trying to find some guidance on how I should set up solid dosage fill count ranges. I do know that the FDA does not cover this part and is more generalized. Can anyone send me to any links or give me guidelines on how I should go about defining a process for solid dosage fill counts in bottles. ASTM has ranges for critical, but does not specify major or minor range criteria. Any help would be appreciated. I know that whatever ranges I decide on should be based on a statistically sound decision with how I came to the decision for the final ranges.

Thank You,

Desperate :deadhorse:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Staff member
Admin
I merged your two threads since they are identical. This is out of my area of expertise, but hopefully someone will be able to help you.

Do remember that it often takes a day or two for an answer since the people who help by answering questions are donating their time to do so. And sometimes there's no one here that knows the answer. If no one replies today or in a day or two one of us will probably "Bump" the thread to try to get a reply.

M

Manicjewels1

Do you think you could bump this post? I might have it in the wrong forum.

Thanks,

Julie

v9991

Trusted Information Resource
It would be helpful to respond if you can indicate specific dosage form or pack at-least you are talking about;

here''s few points based on my experience... the compliance of product to local regulations(pharmacopoeia) is mandatory...
; so generally, pharma follows USP (united states pharmacopoeia) or European Pharmacopoeia and any other local pharmacopoeia.
there are expectations set for various category of products...
1) powder filled sachets...
2) powder for injections...
3) lyophilized powder for injections...
4) fill-count of tablets in the bottle pack....!!!

here's 1 quick reference...on weight variation...
and <905> UNIFORMITY OF DOSAGE UNITS
http :// www. usp. org/sites/default/files/usp_pdf/EN/USPNF/2011-02-25905UNIFORMITYOFDOSAGEUNITS.pdf - DEAD 404 LINK UNLINKED

check out sec.5.2.....WHO Pharmacopoeia Library

this one more talks about process development & confirmation...(not batch release)
http :// www .fda. gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/04/jan04/013004/03D-0493_emc-000003-01.pdf - DEAD 404 LINK UNLINKED

hope this helps...

Last edited by a moderator:

v9991

if I understand your query...you are talking about fill count of products in the product-packaging.

if its unit packing...its obvious...acceptance criteria is ''Nil defects''; (note that severity could be low, cause it is easily detectable, patient could notice it upfront)

if its bulk packing...such as bottle pack...its not very obvious(note that severity could depend upon the dosage regimen...+ its detectability by end user is relatively low, untill unless the variation is really significant it may not be really noticeable.)...here the acceptance criteria would depend on the variation-acceptable from dosage regimen...or patient instructions...

above all, regulatory wise,,,yu ought atleast comply with pharmacopoeia requirements.
hope this helps...

M

Manicjewels1

Yes I am talking about bottle fill counts for tablets or capsules only for packaging not manufacturing. Such as a range set for 95 to 100 count, with a label claim for 100ct bottles etc..... I first need to define a set count range for the tablets or capsules with a statistically sound explanation of how I chose the range , than depending on the the level of variance, determine how to define them as critical, major or minor depending on where the tablet or capsule count falls between the range, or above or below the range.

Sorry for not explaning properly.

v9991

as mentioned briefly earlier, the range to be arrived based on the
need of product category,
customer/patient impact,
regulatory requirements...etc.,

all the references are towards the 100% accuracy.... (bound by the above criteria) you will find many other references but here's little more.
http://www.ppma.co.uk/pubs/pdf/MU-2002-September-counting.pdf

however, have a look at the certain other references...
Typical Suitability Considerations for Common Classes of Drug Products
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/.../Guidances/ucm070551.pdf

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K ISO 9001 Auditing in a Healthcare setting Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 15
J Setting accuracy limit for a read out General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
B Setting flexible packaging specification limits ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
I Setting action completion dates Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
S Qualification question - ISO 13485 - Setting up a small lab Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
S Heat Sealers Upper and lower limit setting during OQ for Heat Sealer Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
Ed Panek GDPR in Urgent Healthcare Setting Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
M Setting deadlines (ex. 45 days) for Document Registration & Review Cycle Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Ashok sunder What are the criteria for setting a target KPI value against a quality objective? Benchmarking 7
K Setting Quality Objectives (for the first time) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
R ISO 11137 Gamma sterilization validation, dose setting, dose audit Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M Best Practice for setting tolerances on a Drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
T Setting up a quality department in an Engineering Firm Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 11
B Software for setting up New Warehouse Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
S Setting up the process - First piece inspections Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
A Add-On software for VMC to calculate setting time, Idle Time, OEE etc.. Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
G Setting Up a Basic Quality Lab for a small manufacturing company General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A Setting up an LLC as a Consultant Paid Consulting, Training and Services 27
A Setting initial Expiry Date of an IVD per BS EN 23640:2015 Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
Q Setting Quality Objectives with a Timeframe ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Proud Liberal Setting up Prolink's QC-Gage to a Keyence IM-6225 Vision System Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
P Setting Acceptance Quality Limits (AQL) for New Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Hami812 Cpk Setting Tolerance - Cart before the Horse? (Wifi Routers) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
K Bioburden 0 cfu for Dose Setting using the VDmax25 Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
A New company, no employees, Setting up a QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
F Setting up a new sterilization unit in a new facility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
C ISO 14001 Recertification without setting Targets ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
T Guidance - Setting up an integrated quality & environmental management system Career and Occupation Discussions 12
M Setting up a M1003 QA Program for the AAR Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
A Setting up a Medical Device Distributor in Malaysia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 16
R Irradiation Sterilization Dose Setting and Dose Audit Flow Charts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
J Setting Up New QMS - New US Location ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Setting air gauging outside of a part tolerance Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
S Target Setting - Internal metric(s) to drive Internal Processes Six Sigma 1
S MSA Help or guidelines - Plastics - Setting up an MSA on a multi cavity fixture Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
G Setting up a corporate umbrella QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T Setting Quality Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
W Setting up from scratch - Looking for help (ISO9001 / ISO13485) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
F Setting up a New QMS for Certification when ISO 9001 is about to Change ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
P New to AS9100 Rev. C - Setting KPIs and FAI Reports AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
B Setting Lower Control Limit on Attributes Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
J Lean 5S - Setting Min/Max Inventory Levels Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
V Setting Specification Limits for UOD (Uniformity) for Live Bacteria or Spores Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 4
D How do I make the Corporate QMS work in the manufacturing setting? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J Setting Quality Objectives for Service, Repair and Sales ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Q Setting Specification Limits Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
C Mitutoyo SJ210 Settings - Is there an Industry Standard Surface Measurement Setting? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
W Setting up a Zmike for Pin Gage Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
W Zero setting of correlation graph when plotting best fit linear regression Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
G Setting up a 3 Factor, 2 Level,2 response DOE in Minitab Using Minitab Software 7