Setting the Control limits on Minitab

zamshabeer

Starting to get Involved
Hello

I have a data set that I want to compare/test against locked (fixed) means and control limits.

On Minitab 19, I have the option to set the mean and standard deviation (see screenshot below). But what I want to set is the mean and control limits.

I know I can calculate the standard deviation using the 3sigma formula to get the control limits I am after, but I just wanted to check whether I can remove this extra step.

Is there a way for me to just enter the mean and control limits and then apply the tests to those fixed values?

1645092459268.png

Thanks
Best regards
Zam

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
I am not aware of another method than the one that you show. You can set a limit to prevent control limits from going negative, but that is all.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
There is another discussion of locked (arbitrary, not based upon the data) control limits recently, and recommendations against doing that. However, I will admit Minitab does not give you much control on the calculations (such as it keeps turning the mean and control limits into moving averages as you add data). I have much better success simply using Excel spreadsheet.

zamshabeer

Starting to get Involved
There is another discussion of locked (arbitrary, not based upon the data) control limits recently, and recommendations against doing that. However, I will admit Minitab does not give you much control on the calculations (such as it keeps turning the mean and control limits into moving averages as you add data). I have much better success simply using Excel spreadsheet.

Hi Steve - could you point me to that discussion if you have the link handy? This is a debate that I am trying to manage as well. Is this discussion on this website. Or somewhere else?

Top Bottom