SBS - The best value in QMS software

Setting up a New QMS for Certification when ISO 9001 is about to Change

What would you do / recommend?

• Wait until the new standard comes out

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Comply with requirements of 9001:2008 and make changes as needed when new standard released

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Comply with requirements of 9001:2008 AND draft version of 9001:2015 (where possible)

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Other (please specify in thread)

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters
F

Frankie11

I thought it might be an interesting discussion. If you've got a company looking to be certified to ISO 9001 in the next 6-12 months, as the quality manager what do you do? If you work for a CB, what would you be recommending? Anyone else in this position now or previously?

I've been asked to get a company certification-ready ASAP so that's where I'm coming from. It seems like a bit of a waste of time to get them up to compliance with the 2008 version when it's all going to change in a year.

Cheers!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Big Jim

Super Moderator
Re: Setting up a new QMS for certification when the standard is about to change

The third option is not a viable answer, as the new standard is still in draft so you don't want to make changes based on what might be.

As a consultant I certainly would not attempt to set up a new system to 9001:2015 until the ink dries on the final version.

Beyond that, it depends on how badly they want to get registered, including how much they have a customer breathing down their neck to get it done.

Keep in mind that, last I knew, the intention is for a three year transition from the current standard to the new one, with the anticipation that most companies will transition when their old one comes due for re-certification. A company that gets registered this year (2014) would likely face transition in 2017.

I agree with Big Jim, and...
Beyond that, it depends on how badly they want to get registered, including how much they have a customer breathing down their neck to get it done.
...this is what it really boils down to, and as you have been asked to get a company certification-ready ASAP, the answer seems pretty obvious. Mind you, setting up a system is always worthwhile as long as it is properly adapted to the wants and needs of your business.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator

I voted for Other.

The management system standard does not change what your organizational management system needs for your organization to be successful.

Too many sets of management system documents are written to conform to the standard and imposed on the organization. They are written for little more than obtaining certification as soon as. And managers and other employees correctly see this as a waste.

By understanding how your organization works as a system to fulfill its mission or purpose, you focus on your organization's processes, interactions and behaviors not on the standard.

For many people this is counter-intuitive until they really think about what they are trying to do. They may sense that they lack sufficient authority (delegated from the top manager) to do anything more than slavishly follow the standard.

You analyze your system and its processes instead of writing documents based on the standard. You focus resources needed for any new processes only after your analysis shows the process does not exist.

"What about a new process or control specified by the new standard", I hear you ask. Rarely is the process entirely new and always know and agree the business benefits of the new process before engaging its process team members in designing it to fulfill those benefits.

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Setting up a New QMS for Certification when the Standard is about to Change

Apart from the possibility that other requirements will be added to the current CD (unlikely I suspect), I don't see a problem in creating the system against what we have now.

What is there in the 2008 version that is not in the CD? not much if anything at all. So if you met the CD you would meet the 2008 version anyway - it would just look a bit different and as we know, you can make it look like you want to as long as it addresses the clauses.

I have just finished putting together a manual for a combined 9001 and 27001 and because 27001 is in the new format, I structured the manual against it. Mind you, I have not applied to the CB yet!

Q

qpled

It seems like a bit of a waste of time to get them up to compliance with the 2008 version when it's all going to change in a year.

Cheers!
I am in a similar situation since we are being re-certified in fall 2014 - not good timing but just the way it worked out. So my advice to you (and myself) is to comply to 2008 while keeping an eye on the 2015 draft to see what will/may change - and warn the company you are working for that they will need you again very soon :yes:

S

SuperGirl

I chose other, and agree with this:
The management system standard does not change what your organizational management system needs for your organization to be successful.

Too many sets of management system documents are written to conform to the standard and imposed on the organization. They are written for little more than obtaining certification as soon as. And managers and other employees correctly see this as a waste.
If you don't set up your system for what your business needs, but simply to obtain certification, you will not have complete buy in from everyone and while you may obtain certification, you will, if not fail, have a very difficult time obtaining re-certification.

I thought it might be an interesting discussion. If you've got a company looking to be certified to ISO 9001 in the next 6-12 months, as the quality manager what do you do? If you work for a CB, what would you be recommending? Anyone else in this position now or previously?

I've been asked to get a company certification-ready ASAP so that's where I'm coming from. It seems like a bit of a waste of time to get them up to compliance with the 2008 version when it's all going to change in a year.

Cheers!
Look at it this way: If implementing a QMS and obtaining certification is a strategic decision, then go for it. In all reality, the standard may change, but not in a substantial manner that you will need to do so much changing and, even if you did, you still have 3 years to make those after 2015. You should be focused on the benefits of what a QMS can bring now, not on wondering how much work might be needed to change (unknown) later.

Be like Nike, just do it!

hogheavenfarm

Quite Involved in Discussions

I would start restructuring now based on most of the draft of 2015, since it incorporates 2008 anyway, what becomes extra baggage (MR, QM, required procedures) can be dealt with easier with elimination later rather than adapting upward. In other words, I would aim for 2015, but retain 2008.
Actually, this is what I did last year, based on the real early sneak peeks, including the new expanded risk/opportunity sections. Once adopted, we should have minimal changes to our system.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator

Process-based organizational management systems need no restructuring to conform to new system standards.

New business objectives and new markets may however result in new processes (and new interactions) and new controls to existing processes.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A New company, no employees, Setting up a QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Setting Up New QMS - New US Location ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
G Setting up a corporate umbrella QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D How do I make the Corporate QMS work in the manufacturing setting? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
B Where do policies fit in the setting up of a Quality Management System (QMS)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Setting Up a QMS and Internal Auditing for Airports AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
G Costs associated with setting up new medical device QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Acceptable QMS Scope Exclusions in a Multi-National Setting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
J Setting accuracy limit for a read out General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
B Setting flexible packaging specification limits ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
I Setting action completion dates Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
S Qualification question - ISO 13485 - Setting up a small lab Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
S Heat Sealers Upper and lower limit setting during OQ for Heat Sealer Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
Ed Panek GDPR in Urgent Healthcare Setting Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
M Setting deadlines (ex. 45 days) for Document Registration & Review Cycle Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Ashok sunder What are the criteria for setting a target KPI value against a quality objective? Benchmarking 7
K Setting Quality Objectives (for the first time) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
R ISO 11137 Gamma sterilization validation, dose setting, dose audit Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M Best Practice for setting tolerances on a Drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
T Setting up a quality department in an Engineering Firm Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 11
B Software for setting up New Warehouse Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
S Setting up the process - First piece inspections Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
A Add-On software for VMC to calculate setting time, Idle Time, OEE etc.. Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
G Setting Up a Basic Quality Lab for a small manufacturing company General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A Setting up an LLC as a Consultant Paid Consulting, Training and Services 27
A Setting initial Expiry Date of an IVD per BS EN 23640:2015 Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
Q Setting Quality Objectives with a Timeframe ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Proud Liberal Setting up Prolink's QC-Gage to a Keyence IM-6225 Vision System Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
P Setting Acceptance Quality Limits (AQL) for New Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Hami812 Cpk Setting Tolerance - Cart before the Horse? (Wifi Routers) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
K Bioburden 0 cfu for Dose Setting using the VDmax25 Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
F Setting up a new sterilization unit in a new facility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
C ISO 14001 Recertification without setting Targets ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
T Guidance - Setting up an integrated quality & environmental management system Career and Occupation Discussions 12
M Setting up a M1003 QA Program for the AAR Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
A Setting up a Medical Device Distributor in Malaysia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 16
R Irradiation Sterilization Dose Setting and Dose Audit Flow Charts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
A Setting air gauging outside of a part tolerance Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
S Target Setting - Internal metric(s) to drive Internal Processes Six Sigma 1
S MSA Help or guidelines - Plastics - Setting up an MSA on a multi cavity fixture Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
T Setting Quality Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
W Setting up from scratch - Looking for help (ISO9001 / ISO13485) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P New to AS9100 Rev. C - Setting KPIs and FAI Reports AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
B Setting Lower Control Limit on Attributes Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
J Lean 5S - Setting Min/Max Inventory Levels Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
V Setting Specification Limits for UOD (Uniformity) for Live Bacteria or Spores Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 4
J Setting Quality Objectives for Service, Repair and Sales ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Q Setting Specification Limits Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
C Mitutoyo SJ210 Settings - Is there an Industry Standard Surface Measurement Setting? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
W Setting up a Zmike for Pin Gage Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3