Setting Up Systems for Service Industries

D

Dawn Welsh

Hello

I am thinking of getting into the consulting field for ISO. I have had a company in my area wanting me to come up to see him about setting up a system. Here's the problem:

I have only worked with ISO in manufacturing settings. I would like some pointers from anyone who has implemented or works with a system in a service based industry.

Thanks in advance.

Dawn

PS This forum seems great!! There is another site I checked out and a lot of times their is vulgarity and ridiculing. Who needs it!!!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
E

energy

Dawn,
From what I've read several times in forum topics, you just consider your service outputs like manufacturing a product. With a little creativity on your part, it shouldn't be that difficult. We've all seen those cards in Hotel rooms and automobile service centers asking how they performed. "Customer Satisfaction". Complaints are handled through "Corrective Actions" and so on. Go for it and good luck!
energy

D

David Mullins

Dawn,
You wouldn't be talking about Conscience and Co at ISO support group by any chance? Always an interesting site. Still used by our departed friend Alan Cotterell. Anyway....

Service Industries: generally much easier than manufacturing - really - so long as your not dealing with engineers!!!

Energy is correct in suggesting you look at what the product is. Basically you look at the overall processes from the potential for work thru to final delivery, feedback, sign-off, or even invoice payment. Break the processes down in to bite size, meaningful chunks, they're your procedures.

I'm not a consultant but I've implemented ISO 9000 in Defense, consulting engineering, ambulance, hotel, sport store, swim centre, computer/IT arena, Education, etc. Many have been multiple site.
I've yet to do a supermarket, bank, construction company or a winery. Pity about the winery - I'll keep trying. I've seen plenty of supermarkets and banks that certainly need it!
So it's really easy to apply ISO 9000 in any industry. You get to be inventive.

I've got plenty of example stuff - any particular service industry/area?

NOTE - These come up and see me some time offers often fizz. Don't put too much effort in to it unless you see they're genuinely interested and committed.

------------------

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
From an e-mail and my evolving Implementation Guide (See http://Elsmar.com/courses.html ):

> I was just hoping that you could clarify this a little for me. I have no
> experience with service based industries. Do you treat their service as you
> would a product?

Yes. A tire dealership's main product is the installation of tires. But there are other products. If they do alignment, one product would be alignment. BValance tires? What do YOU think???

No different from a company which makes both air valves and electric motors. They have several products. List the specific services you provide and you have a list of your products.

> Their processes, I assume are how they carry out the
> service. This is a tire shop I'm dealing with.

Their processes are many: Taking orders from customers. Installing tires. Balancing tires. Aligning front ends. Placing orders with suppliers. Training employees.

Most tire shops do a lot more now. The place I go does brakes and some other minor repairs and such. These are all processes.

One of the first things you want to do is define what your processes and what your products are. Having said that some companies find it hard to do this - they need a lot of direction.

If you look at the 'model' ISO9K uses your products are the outputs on the right side of the diagram.

Randy

Super Moderator
I helped my former employer get registered to ISO 9002. We were (are) a services contractor ($200 Million) to the US Army. It was difficult at 1st until we realized our true and only product was the delivery of the entire contract and not the piecemeal activities that it takes to deliver it. You have to identify what your true product is just like Marc said and then develope the processes to make that product happen.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Setting Up Part Masters in ERP Systems - How are others doing it? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
R Control on Setting piece mix-up - Are there any fool proof systems? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
R MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) - Where to begin when setting up a system? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 14
S Heat Sealers Upper and lower limit setting during OQ for Heat Sealer Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
Ed Panek GDPR in Urgent Healthcare Setting Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
M Setting deadlines (ex. 45 days) for Document Registration & Review Cycle Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Ashok sunder What are the criteria for setting a target KPI value against a quality objective? Benchmarking 7
K Setting Quality Objectives (for the first time) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
R ISO 11137 Gamma sterilization validation, dose setting, dose audit Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M Best Practice for setting tolerances on a Drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
T Setting up a quality department in an Engineering Firm Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 11
B Software for setting up New Warehouse Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
S Setting up the process - First piece inspections Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
A Add-On software for VMC to calculate setting time, Idle Time, OEE etc.. Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
G Setting Up a Basic Quality Lab for a small manufacturing company General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A Setting up an LLC as a Consultant Paid Consulting, Training and Services 27
A Setting initial Expiry Date of an IVD per BS EN 23640:2015 Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
Q Setting Quality Objectives with a Timeframe ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Proud Liberal Setting up Prolink's QC-Gage to a Keyence IM-6225 Vision System Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
P Setting Acceptance Quality Limits (AQL) for New Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Hami812 Cpk Setting Tolerance - Cart before the Horse? (Wifi Routers) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
K Bioburden 0 cfu for Dose Setting using the VDmax25 Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
A New company, no employees, Setting up a QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
F Setting up a new sterilization unit in a new facility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
C ISO 14001 Recertification without setting Targets ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
T Guidance - Setting up an integrated quality & environmental management system Career and Occupation Discussions 12
M Setting up a M1003 QA Program for the AAR Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
A Setting up a Medical Device Distributor in Malaysia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 16
R Irradiation Sterilization Dose Setting and Dose Audit Flow Charts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
J Setting Up New QMS - New US Location ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Setting air gauging outside of a part tolerance Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
S Target Setting - Internal metric(s) to drive Internal Processes Six Sigma 1
S MSA Help or guidelines - Plastics - Setting up an MSA on a multi cavity fixture Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
G Setting up a corporate umbrella QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T Setting Quality Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
W Setting up from scratch - Looking for help (ISO9001 / ISO13485) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
F Setting up a New QMS for Certification when ISO 9001 is about to Change ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
P New to AS9100 Rev. C - Setting KPIs and FAI Reports AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
B Setting Lower Control Limit on Attributes Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
J Lean 5S - Setting Min/Max Inventory Levels Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
V Setting Specification Limits for UOD (Uniformity) for Live Bacteria or Spores Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 4
D How do I make the Corporate QMS work in the manufacturing setting? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J Setting Quality Objectives for Service, Repair and Sales ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Q Setting Specification Limits Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
C Mitutoyo SJ210 Settings - Is there an Industry Standard Surface Measurement Setting? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
W Setting up a Zmike for Pin Gage Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
W Zero setting of correlation graph when plotting best fit linear regression Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
G Setting up a 3 Factor, 2 Level,2 response DOE in Minitab Using Minitab Software 7
B Quality Goals and Improvements in a Bioanalytical Laboratory Setting Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
N Setting up MSA system in a machine shop environment. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5