Setup Verification in IATF 16949 Clause 8.5.1.3

Peters

Quite Involved in Discussions
I know that there were several discussions about setup verification in this forum.
But we (me and my friends-auditors) have discussion connected with translation problems of the IATF 16949 text.

My question:
Is "setup verification" connected only with the control/measurement of the first piece (with correction - if needed) like in QS-9000 definition, or there are other forms/methods of implementation of the "setup verification"? First of all I would like to know what the author has in mind in this text.

In our discussion there are some other ideas like setup parameters instruction, setup parameters records... but I can't see this in IATF 16949 requirements.

What do you think?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

QualitySpirit

Involved In Discussions
Hello, I think the intention of set up verification is to verify that after the process is re-set it is still producing acceptable parts within specification.

In many cases, I have seen it is not the measurement of the "first" piece.

For examples, in plastic injection molding I often see - after they change the mold, flush the old material. They have to inject almost 100 shots until they find the setup is ok e.g. without short shots, appearance issues, abnormal weight. The shots injected before this acceptable piece then go to scrap. So in this case, it is not the first piece measurement.

Set up verification in my opinion is whatever action that they do to make sure the set-up is OK - and it needs to include output verification such as product inspection/measurement/tests not only verification of inputs e.g. setup parameters.

Peters

For examples, in plastic injection molding I often see - after they change the mold, flush the old material. They have to inject almost 100 shots until they find the setup is ok e.g. without short shots, appearance issues, abnormal weight.
"until they find the setup is ok e.g. without short shots, appearance issues, abnormal weight" - But still check of the product is set-up verification. It's not strictly the first piece, it's longer series, but the quality of the outgoing product confirms: set-up is correct.
A similar situation is in the production of wire or flexible shafts - acceptable first series of this product will be typical setup verification. Am I right?

Last edited:

QualitySpirit

Involved In Discussions
"until they find the setup is ok e.g. without short shots, appearance issues, abnormal weight" - But still check of the product is set-up verification. It's not strictly the first piece, it's longer series, but the quality of the outgoing product confirms: set-up is correct.
A similar situation is in the production of wire or flexible shafts - acceptable first series of this product will be typical setup verification. Am I right?
Hi, I have been to both automotive electrical wires and cold drawn shafts manufacturing sites myself.

As the product has to be extruded very quickly through the length, usually they have diameter sensors online that check in real time and they adjust parameters such as speed until the diameter is in a controlled range. It would be a big waste if they wait until it finishes a whole roll then do the verification.

I think job-setup in this case is when all diameter sensors along the length show green signals.:caution:

Peters

I remember the flexible shaft production - shortly after the start, process is stopped, setter cut 1m of the product and check the product parameters. And then next start after product checking and results confirmation.

QualitySpirit

Involved In Discussions
I remember the flexible shaft production - shortly after the start, process is stopped, setter cut 1m of the product and check the product parameters. And then next start after product checking and results confirmation.
OK - I will remember to look at it again next time I visit. :thanx:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A 7.5.1.3: Verification of job setup query, sample WI required. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D Setup Verification Documentation for multiple parts that have same lathe operation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Q Setup Verification, need help QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 4
M Effect of Sampling on Setup Verification Requirements Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M What is "setup control chart"? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
S Machine Setup for a CNC Machine Capability Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
M Criteria and when to carry out Setup Approval Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
S IEC 60601-1-2 immunity to proximity fields Test setup - Diagnostic ECG device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
S IEC 60601-1-2 - RF Conducted Immunity Test Setup - Diagnostic ECG device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
T Operational setup of how FIFO / Process Map on Lithium Batteries is done Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
pammesue Controlled Setup Sheets for a production line Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
G Setup Part Management - Preventing Escape Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
S New Electronics Manufacturing Setup - Checklist/Gantt chart Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
W How much would it cost to setup a Quality System for a Repackager or Relabeler? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
Q Pin Gauge Setup - Measuring the OD of a Catheter Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J Setup/structure of IDE in the US Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
M Setup Time vs. Economic Run Quantity Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Template for the kind of naming convention on my test setup Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Setup Time Reduction Project - How big should my team be? Six Sigma 2
D What to verify on Test Setup for Environmental Testing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
K How to setup DDEs in Minitab to link a project to an Excel workbook Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
S Instrument Calibration Laboratory setup for API Pharmaceutical Company General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
F FMEA Optimization for our Die Setup Process FMEA and Control Plans 2
A Donabedian Model in Healthcare Setup Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 2
A Setup Controls in a Process Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 2
V Should the Line Clearance include Machine Setup for current Operation? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
J GR&R (Gage R&R) Sample Setup for Attribute Inspection Gages Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
N Calibration of Setup Fixtures & Pin Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
O Weighting Problems (Statistics) - Weight distribution for a machine setup Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
H Implement standardized work in the setup operations of a pharmaceutical packing line? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
kmyers Setup sheet for machine shop Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
G Video Example of Quick Setup Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
M Calibration of Custom 6061 T6 Aluminum or Delrin Plastic Setup Tools?? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
R Facility setup for Substrate & PCB Visual Inspection Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
P Criteria for operator's readings at setup - Seeking help to explain chosen limits. Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
Colin Computer monitor setup - Setting up an LCD monitor on a PC After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 8
K Work Station Setup - How can we put the 5S rule into play? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Raffy Is my machine setup control plan part of the overall control plan FMEA and Control Plans 2
M Business Wireless network setup After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 10
V Retain machine setup forms from each run? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 16
A Statistical methods for setup verifications - One of the OFIs the auditor suggested IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
N Document Control in Manufacturing - Machine Setup Sheets Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
A Setup at Final Testing (electrical test) FMEA and Control Plans 1
B Should Tooling Documentation (such as tooling setup instructions) be Controlled? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
D How to setup a system for Predictive Maintenance QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 8
D ISO 13485 - 7.3.6 Design and development verification - Do most folks create a separate SOP? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T Calibration or Verification -> Cm and Cmk, etc. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
K IEC 62304 compliance - Code reviews as part of verification strategy IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
S Documenting Design Verification Test Results (ISO 9001) Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
C Documentation for items used for Design Verification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4