Severity of Finding for "Past Due Gage" found on the shop floor

J

jdyaker

Lets say that we had an ISO 9000 audit and there were gages found on the shop floor that exceeded their calibration date (overdue). What is the severity of this finding?:notme:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Finding for out of calibration gage

Lets say that we had an ISO 9000 audit and there were gages found on the shop floor that exceeded their calibration date (overdue). What is the severity of this finding?:notme:
That depends on:
  • The impact on the process
  • The number of gages.
  • The days overdue
  • Isolated or systemic event
Stijloor.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

andygr

Since there were mutiple instances of this is should be classifed as a major finding. Not withstanding that the calibration system is a key element that ensures that part conformance to design requirements is ensured.
:2cents:

BradM

Leader
Admin

Uh... Stijloor gave you the proper, excellent answer.

My opinion? It will not go well. To me, it shows that the management does not care about the calibration process program.:tg:

Minimally, you need to get those past due instruments quarantined. Of course the best is to get a competent lab in there and get them calibrated.

Clearly, there's an issue here. In addition to the other posters points, it could be that you've shot yourself in the foot by having too frequent or aggressive a schedule for these gauges. If the auditor had asked to look at your past data, it could be shown that the results show the gauges to be robust and negligible effects between recall periods.

Without some kind of test of this side of the story, grading an NC is meaningless, indeed the whole NC is meaningless...........

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin

To me, it shows that the management does not care about the calibration process program.
Come on, Brad. There is no shred of evidence in this thread to support that assertion. Management bashing is too easy. But for the sake of the OP, I think we should stick to the issues at hand.

W

world quality

One thing that is a Major.
1. How many gages.
2. what lines or on the same product line.
3. Was customers notified of this.
4. Qty of product shipped sense experation date.
5. Was product recalled and 100% checked for compliance.
6. Legalities from customer and possible shut at customer.
7. Warranty Issues, etc.

As I would say youre up the creek with out a paddle.

A

andygr

Do not forget that if the gauges labels show out of date conditions and were not identifed by the opperators using them it is an additional problem beyond being out of date.

Why did the recall system not identify the out of date condition? Or if it did what went wrong in the notification/recall process?

A typical question I ask when auditing is to have the calibration folks run the ageing list and show what is done to address the gauges that are identifed as past due.
:2cents:

Wow - I've never read these kind of "Chicken Little" style responses to a simple question. Why does everyone think things are so bad?

I really think everyone's missing the point - as do many auditors when they find such situations. Overdue recall is a symptom and simply writing this up isn't helpful to management.

I've used the oil change analogy before to demonstrate you need more information. Just changing your oil every 6 months wouldn't work for most of us, because there may be very good reasons why - we didn't use the car, we only drove a few miles etc. etc. Similarly, going a day or so past the due date is unlikely to be a big deal in most cases..............

We don't have any data and, as such, all the hypotheses about major and minor etc are just that - hypotheses. Management don't generally care to get excited without data - because they don't know how to react to the size, extent and significance of the issuse. Until that's all present in this post I'd go on with business as usual.......

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator

Wow - I've never read these kind of "Chicken Little" style responses to a simple question. Why does everyone think things are so bad?

I really think everyone's missing the point - as do many auditors when they find such situations. Overdue recall is a symptom and simply writing this up isn't helpful to management.

I've used the oil change analogy before to demonstrate you need more information. Just changing your oil every 6 months wouldn't work for most of us, because there may be very good reasons why - we didn't use the car, we only drove a few miles etc. etc. Similarly, going a day or so past the due date is unlikely to be a big deal in most cases..............

We don't have any data and, as such, all the hypotheses about major and minor etc are just that - hypotheses. Management don't generally care to get excited without data - because they don't know how to react to the size, extent and significance of the issuse. Until that's all present in this post I'd go on with business as usual.......

way to state it Andy!

multiple gages. how many? what % of the entire gage system is this? were they being used while expired? Were they out of calibration? (not just expired but bad...) Has this ever happened before?

lets' start there and get some data before we shut the guy down...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M FMEA Severity Scores Between Two Sister divisions? FMEA and Control Plans 6
M Regulation (EU) 2017/746 Severity Trending EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C FMEA Severity Rating for aggravating failures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M Inconsistency of VDA-AIAG severity table for DFMEA with the manual text FMEA and Control Plans 0
K PFMEA Severity (9-1) mitigation needed? FMEA and Control Plans 20
R DFMEA/PFMEA mitigation of high severity (9-10) in low volume products IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
silentmonkey How to measure severity if my product is designed for emergency use and failure would result in death? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
J On PFMEA for danger labels - Label always should be assigned severity 10 ? FMEA and Control Plans 3
S The Severity of a Medical Device Hazard - Risk Analysis Clarification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
MrTetris Informational Risk Register - Same hazardous situation, different severity of harms ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
A PFMEA severity score different applications FMEA and Control Plans 11
X Customer Service FMEA - Specifically Customer Care / Severity Rankings Service Industry Specific Topics 3
D How to fill a Process FMEA - Three columns - Severity, occurrence and Detection FMEA and Control Plans 16
R DFMEA Severity 9-10 with Occurrence 3 and Detection 3 - Actions FMEA and Control Plans 3
S What should the FMEA Severity for SC & CC Characteristics be? FMEA and Control Plans 5
N AIAG 4th ed. FMEA Manual "Fit" Changed to "Appearance" - Fit severity? FMEA and Control Plans 2
G Severity in Process FMEA for Rework Process FMEA and Control Plans 1
O PFMEA - Reducing Severity (S) Ranking - Manufacturing Process Design Changes FMEA and Control Plans 4
S FMEA's - Severity and Classification of Print Characteristics FMEA and Control Plans 1
N Risk Severity Estimation for Medical Devices as per ISO 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 12
C Determining PFMEA Severity for Armored Parts FMEA and Control Plans 5
C FMEA DOGMA about Severity - Am I right or Wrong? FMEA and Control Plans 2
K 4th Edition AIAG FMEA Occurrence, Severity and Detection Criteria for Plastics FMEA and Control Plans 1
F Risk = Likelihood * Severity - Can we mitigate the Severity? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 44
M Severity Reduction in a Design FMEA (DFMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 26
E Risk Management selection Probability of Occurrence and Severity ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 24
S Severity of 9 or 10 should be identified as Special characteristic? FMEA and Control Plans 10
G Internal vs. External PFMEA Severity Rankings FMEA and Control Plans 12
R Risks which must be Distinctly Identified - Harm, Hazard, Severity ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
C Severity of Effect on Process (Manufacturing/Assembly Effect) Scrap or Reworking FMEA and Control Plans 3
W Severity Rating CORRECTIVE ACTIONS - Opinions Wanted Please Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
H DFMEA Severity Ranking of Non-Compliance to EMC Standards FMEA and Control Plans 2
P Chemical Purity Testing - FMEA Severity Scale FMEA and Control Plans 2
T FMEA Severity 9 &10 - Example of "with warning?" FMEA and Control Plans 6
E Harms Severity Scoring - Combination of Hazards ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
B The Distribution that represents the Severity of Nonconformances Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
A AIAG Design FMEA Severity Rankings - Noncompliance Government Regulation? FMEA and Control Plans 9
D Severity or Occurrence? Performing an FMEA on Motorcycle Operation FMEA and Control Plans 9
L FMEA Occurrence, Severity and Detection Criteria FMEA and Control Plans 3
I Ford FMEA requirements for Severity and Occurrence Rankings Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
G FMEA Severity Ranking for an Automotive Audio System FMEA and Control Plans 9
Chennaiite FMEA Severity Rating for Potential Manufacturing Effect mentioned in the FMEA manual FMEA and Control Plans 9
kedarg6500 FMEA Severity Scale - Higher for Failure at Customer's or End-Customer's place? FMEA and Control Plans 19
M FMEA Severity Ratings for Health Care Information System FMEA and Control Plans 10
C Does the PFMEA Severity have to match the DFMEA Severity? FMEA and Control Plans 3
P Measuring Severity of Construction Nonconformance Report Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
L Standard for process control level depending on gravity (severity)? FMEA and Control Plans 7
I Defining a Severity Level of a non-conformance Nonconformance and Corrective Action 13
Y Severity, Occurrence and Detection FMEA Ranking Tables - Guidelines? FMEA and Control Plans 8
L FMEA - Should a severity of 9 or 10 be always followed by recommended actions? FMEA and Control Plans 2