SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Severity or Occurrence? Performing an FMEA on Motorcycle Operation

Performing an FMEA on motorcycle operation. One of the failure modes would be falling off the bike. A failure mode of that would be striking the head on the road. The effect would be severe, to say the least. So, we perform some error proofing by adding a helmet. Now when you hit the road there is less chance of head injury.

The attached photo should show actual results of me falling off my Harley (with help of a white tail deer). I can tell you with all certainty there were no injuries to my head. The question is.... Did the severity change because there was no injury, or would you say that the helmet kept my head from actually impacting with the road, so the occurrence is what dropped?

I say the severity changed. But would like your opinion.

BTW, my leathers kept me mostly road rash free, but when the bike and I cart wheeled over the deer, the bike landed on my right leg. Now I am an automatic candidate for enhanced, detailed screening at airport security.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Severity or Occurrence?

db,

As a result of your FMEA you took preventive action by wearing the helmet. :applause:

As the failure mode was falling off bike your wearing of the helmet made no difference to the frequency of occurence but it made a lot of difference to the severity of loss.

John

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
This is one of "round peg square hole" issues with the restricted FMEA format.

Hitting your head is an effect. And the use of a helmet is NOT a mistake 'proof' device as wearing a helmet is voluntary in some states and even in those where it is a legal requirement, some people will choose to not wear their helmet. Additionally, very hard impacts may leave your head intact but your body in pieces and smears. an intact head on a dead body is still a dead head.

If we are being rigid in our FMEA, the severity doesn't change and neither did the occurence rate of the BIKE failure to hold the rider/passenger on board. technically, the use of a helmet is considered a mitigation to reduce the severity of the effect in some users. This aspect is not captured by the standard FMEA form except as a note in the controls/mitigation section.

I'd also suggest that 'falling off' isn't the correct failure mode - you didn't fall off, the deer collided with you...and increasing occurrence in MI, where the deer almost out number rats!

Although I do like your answer, the following, although quite true, is not a very comforting thought... We need an "ouch" smiley thingy.
Additionally, very hard impacts may leave your head intact but your body in pieces and smears. an intact head on a dead body is still a dead head.

B

Bigfoot

i'd also suggest that 'falling off' isn't the correct failure mode - you didn't fall off, the deer collided with you...and increasing occurrence in mi, where the deer almost out number rats!
andy - you must live somewhere close to lansing cause the deer way out number the rats along the southern border of mi. ;)

Jimmy123

Involved In Discussions
The effect and severity is what it is. In my opinion it‘s safety relevant S=10 with and w/o a helmet, because people died also with helmet. The occurrence of the cause is what it is. Occurrence can be only reduced by a fence or gun or drive slowly.

GRP

Involved In Discussions
If the failure mode is "falling off bike", wearing a helmet is not a preventive action. A suitable preventive action would be reducing the speed, avoiding areas with deer, attaching a sidecar to the motorcycle.

Depending on who you ask, preventive actions act on the cause or on the combination of "failure mode and/or cause"

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Of course.

The failure mode we have in mind when we don our crash helmet is:

“Head hits highway pavement”.

That may have been predicated by:

“Driver failed to watch out for a bike (even with its headlight on)”

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D How to fill a Process FMEA - Three columns - Severity, occurrence and Detection FMEA and Control Plans 16
R DFMEA Severity 9-10 with Occurrence 3 and Detection 3 - Actions FMEA and Control Plans 3
K 4th Edition AIAG FMEA Occurrence, Severity and Detection Criteria for Plastics FMEA and Control Plans 1
E Risk Management selection Probability of Occurrence and Severity ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 24
L FMEA Occurrence, Severity and Detection Criteria FMEA and Control Plans 3
I Ford FMEA requirements for Severity and Occurrence Rankings Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
Y Severity, Occurrence and Detection FMEA Ranking Tables - Guidelines? FMEA and Control Plans 8
V Emphasizing Severity more than Occurrence and Detection vs. Overall RPN FMEA and Control Plans 20
E FMEA Severity, Occurrence, and Detection Rating - I am in need of some examples FMEA and Control Plans 19
K Severity Occurrence Detection Ranking Scale - 1 to 10 vs. 1 to 5 FMEA and Control Plans 20
R PFMEA - RPN - Severity, Occurrence and Detection - Which one does not change? FMEA and Control Plans 67
R DFMEA/PFMEA mitigation of high severity (9-10) in low volume products IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
silentmonkey How to measure severity if my product is designed for emergency use and failure would result in death? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
J On PFMEA for danger labels - Label always should be assigned severity 10 ? FMEA and Control Plans 3
S The Severity of a Medical Device Hazard - Risk Analysis Clarification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
MrTetris Informational Risk Register - Same hazardous situation, different severity of harms ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
A PFMEA severity score different applications FMEA and Control Plans 11
X Customer Service FMEA - Specifically Customer Care / Severity Rankings Service Industry Specific Topics 3
S What should the FMEA Severity for SC & CC Characteristics be? FMEA and Control Plans 5
N AIAG 4th ed. FMEA Manual "Fit" Changed to "Appearance" - Fit severity? FMEA and Control Plans 2
G Severity in Process FMEA for Rework Process FMEA and Control Plans 1
O PFMEA - Reducing Severity (S) Ranking - Manufacturing Process Design Changes FMEA and Control Plans 4
S FMEA's - Severity and Classification of Print Characteristics FMEA and Control Plans 1
N Risk Severity Estimation for Medical Devices as per ISO 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 12
C Determining PFMEA Severity for Armored Parts FMEA and Control Plans 5
C FMEA DOGMA about Severity - Am I right or Wrong? FMEA and Control Plans 2
F Risk = Likelihood * Severity - Can we mitigate the Severity? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 44
M Severity Reduction in a Design FMEA (DFMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 25
S Severity of 9 or 10 should be identified as Special characteristic? FMEA and Control Plans 10
G Internal vs. External PFMEA Severity Rankings FMEA and Control Plans 12
R Risks which must be Distinctly Identified - Harm, Hazard, Severity ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
C Severity of Effect on Process (Manufacturing/Assembly Effect) Scrap or Reworking FMEA and Control Plans 3
W Severity Rating CORRECTIVE ACTIONS - Opinions Wanted Please Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
H DFMEA Severity Ranking of Non-Compliance to EMC Standards FMEA and Control Plans 2
P Chemical Purity Testing - FMEA Severity Scale FMEA and Control Plans 2
T FMEA Severity 9 &10 - Example of "with warning?" FMEA and Control Plans 6
E Harms Severity Scoring - Combination of Hazards ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
B The Distribution that represents the Severity of Nonconformances Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
A AIAG Design FMEA Severity Rankings - Noncompliance Government Regulation? FMEA and Control Plans 9
G FMEA Severity Ranking for an Automotive Audio System FMEA and Control Plans 9
Chennaiite FMEA Severity Rating for Potential Manufacturing Effect mentioned in the FMEA manual FMEA and Control Plans 9
kedarg6500 FMEA Severity Scale - Higher for Failure at Customer's or End-Customer's place? FMEA and Control Plans 19
M FMEA Severity Ratings for Health Care Information System FMEA and Control Plans 10
C Does the PFMEA Severity have to match the DFMEA Severity? FMEA and Control Plans 3
P Measuring Severity of Construction Nonconformance Report Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
L Standard for process control level depending on gravity (severity)? FMEA and Control Plans 7
I Defining a Severity Level of a non-conformance Nonconformance and Corrective Action 13
L FMEA - Should a severity of 9 or 10 be always followed by recommended actions? FMEA and Control Plans 2
J Severity of Finding for "Past Due Gage" found on the shop floor General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 40
S FMEA Severity of 9 or 10 - Shower does not operate FMEA and Control Plans 13